• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Knee Braces for Mobility

C
Dec 14, 2020
Are your knees bad?

If you have no current knee problems, don't use braces. Limiting the mobility in 1 joint puts extra stress on the others. I learned this from an Ortho after my buddy broke a hip wearing braces he didn't need.

Because all the big name guys wear them everyone thinks they need them, when in reality they need them to stabilize a joint they've damaged.

Are your knees bad?

If you have no current knee problems, don't use braces. Limiting the mobility in 1 joint puts extra stress on the others. I learned this from an Ortho after my buddy broke a hip wearing braces he didn't need.

Because all the big name guys wear them everyone thinks they need them, when in reality they need them to stabilize a joint they've damaged.
No, however I am 45 years old. Funny you mention this as I was talking with my trainer today he said the exact same thing. Thanks for your reply

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Not wearing braces is silly talk. I would fire that Ortho. I wear mobius braces and they don't limit any natural motion unless you set them to. There is a lot of movement and impacts that can happen in motorsports that is far from natural. If you have a brace it can save injury.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Not wearing braces is silly talk. I would fire that Ortho. I wear mobius braces and they don't limit any natural motion unless you set them to. There is a lot of movement and impacts that can happen in motorsports that is far from natural. If you have a brace it can save injury.

You're a concrete guy. I would assume your knees were done 20 years ago.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I've had bum knees since I was in the Army over 20 years ago. I always rode with knee pads. I'm pushing 50 next summer. Last Spring I had a couple small tears in my knee before a ride Jan-Feb. Thought it was the normal knee pain of age and made it worse when I went riding without pads. Second day I could barely walk after I got off the sled. Got an MRI drugs, lecture from the Dr and sent home. Month later I went out again just after the knee pain was just about gone. I was wearing these pads and while my knees were not better they did not get any worse and felt normal about a week after that second trip. For sure ride with knee pads.

Amazon product ASIN B07HQXGM4N

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I've never worn my moto (Asterisk) full knee braces on the sled, mostly because they are pretty bulky and somewhat heavy.

The Leatt dual action knee guards have served me well sledding. $90 for a great shin and knee protection from impacts.

Would be good to try the mobius or another low profile/light knee brace sometime.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The Mobius are game changers. The mobility is 2nd to none and I tried a couple of the other expensive ones. You literally can run in them. They aren't cheap but out of all the people I have talked into them, no one has been disappointed. Anyone who doesn't wear knee pads has knees of stone or just doesn't ride very hard. I would bet a ton on the later ?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I always was going to get something. Just never have. I have had to sit and cry a few times from catching a tree or sharp branch. Half the time i don't have knee pads on when finishing concrete. I guess they say you can't fix stupid. So sick of knee pads that i have never got anything but i should. Not worried about a brace. Just something to soften an impact

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I always was going to get something. Just never have. I have had to sit and cry a few times from catching a tree or sharp branch. Half the time i don't have knee pads on when finishing concrete. I guess they say you can't fix stupid. So sick of knee pads that i have never got anything but i should. Not worried about a brace. Just something to soften an impact
What does your wife wear Terry? ? Maybe you should try hers.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Exactly. Sponsored riders don't wear them just so they can "market". They wear them because they are high risk style riding they are doing for the camera.

I have the Klim Havoc GTX Boots that provide shin protection and I wear a soft volleyball style knee pad. If you want braces, go with the Mobius

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I wear mobius now, and have had leatt and donjoys previously. The donjoys offered the best joint support and comfort, the leatts were garbage after a year and the mobius are on their 3rd year with new straps and cables annually. They are kinda clunky and sometimes my pant fabric gets caught in the knee cup mechanism. The next braces I buy will be another pair of donjoys.

J
Aug 24, 2019
I went with POD4mx braces. They are certified medical devices so can be covered under insurance. I was able to get mine covered with a letter of medical necessity from a PT doc. No knee surgeries in the past.

Premium Features