• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee guards

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
I use the “Leatt Dual Axis knee gaurds” they fit down in the boot, super nicely and are the most comfortable kneepads. I’ve tried them all. The best thing is…..they are affordable!($100.00)
I have these for both me and my son. Really comfortable and do the job. I love them. This year Mrs. Claus bought me some Mobius X8 Braces. They are full knee support plus full upper, lower and knee impact coverage. Haven't got to ride them yet but they are comfortable and got good reviews. Pricey though...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Here's my .02 cents on this topic as I just went through this.

Over the last several years I have ridden with different types of "knee guards / shin guards". All of which have done the job and one of the days I chose not to where them, I ended up with some damage to my shin. Small puncture and small fracture....NOT fun!

Anyways, fast forward a tick from that incident and I end up blowing my knee out out on the side of the mountain riding, with "knee guards" on. After a surgery, rehab and having to take a season off, I was like that sucked!!! After getting back on the machine I had that injury on my mind and it bugged me to say the least. I did NOT want to go through that again and after researching what would be the best option to providing protection to my knee, shin AND provide stability to the knee, I ended up with POD knee braces.

I ended up going through my doctor and ultimately getting a prescription for the affected knee. I worked with the clinic and we went back and forth on what to try but ultimately I ended up going with the POD Knee Brace. What's nice is that the POD is a "medical certified device" and my insurance will end up covering at least 80% of the cost of the one.
I just got setup with these and I have no real time feedback yet but I can say they are comfortable, lightweight and will provide plenty of protection to the knee cap, shin while also providing stability to the joint thus avoiding another catastrophic failure of the joint.

There is a ton of information out there on knee braces and I would highly suggest doing some research on these type of braces. "IF" I would have had a set of these on, I could have avoided a damaged knee, surgery, rehab and time off from the sport!!! It's not always fun to spend money on the "what if" equipment but again, it could have saved me a huge headache!!!

Here's what I'm running,

https://podactive.com/product/k8-forged-carbon-knee-brace/

These also can be used without the knee cap guard and can be used for summer sports like motocross and even water skiing.

Good luck!!

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I have these for both me and my son. Really comfortable and do the job. I love them. This year Mrs. Claus bought me some Mobius X8 Braces. They are full knee support plus full upper, lower and knee impact coverage. Haven't got to ride them yet but they are comfortable and got good reviews. Pricey though...
Yes they are few questions. About them since lots have them. You all wear them on baser layer with a mid layer over, no mid, or on top of mid layer? also how hot do make your less vs others or none. And have heard some guards put pressure point on the inside of the leg where the hinges are when pushed up against a side panel on a bike or sled these have this problem?

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Here's my .02 cents on this topic as I just went through this.

Over the last several years I have ridden with different types of "knee guards / shin guards". All of which have done the job and one of the days I chose not to where them, I ended up with some damage to my shin. Small puncture and small fracture....NOT fun!

Anyways, fast forward a tick from that incident and I end up blowing my knee out out on the side of the mountain riding, with "knee guards" on. After a surgery, rehab and having to take a season off, I was like that sucked!!! After getting back on the machine I had that injury on my mind and it bugged me to say the least. I did NOT want to go through that again and after researching what would be the best option to providing protection to my knee, shin AND provide stability to the knee, I ended up with POD knee braces.

I ended up going through my doctor and ultimately getting a prescription for the affected knee. I worked with the clinic and we went back and forth on what to try but ultimately I ended up going with the POD Knee Brace. What's nice is that the POD is a "medical certified device" and my insurance will end up covering at least 80% of the cost of the one.
I just got setup with these and I have no real time feedback yet but I can say they are comfortable, lightweight and will provide plenty of protection to the knee cap, shin while also providing stability to the joint thus avoiding another catastrophic failure of the joint.

There is a ton of information out there on knee braces and I would highly suggest doing some research on these type of braces. "IF" I would have had a set of these on, I could have avoided a damaged knee, surgery, rehab and time off from the sport!!! It's not always fun to spend money on the "what if" equipment but again, it could have saved me a huge headache!!!

Here's what I'm running,

https://podactive.com/product/k8-forged-carbon-knee-brace/

These also can be used without the knee cap guard and can be used for summer sports like motocross and even water skiing.

Good luck!!
How old are you if you don't mind me asking and what was the incident that cause it and are you in America that insurance covered it. IDK how that works in canada. I just turned 23 on dec so still a young fella and learning how to ride still. My dad in 2017 or something like that can never remember for whatever reason ripped his quad tendon right of his knee nothing he could do about that one. Was following the group on the trail out and the dude in front of him when over the creek snow bridge and fell through then since it was over a small ditch the guy behind could see him and his leg with the ski if i remember correct.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
Yes they are few questions. About them since lots have them. You all wear them on baser layer with a mid layer over, no mid, or on top of mid layer? also how hot do make your less vs others or none. And have heard some guards put pressure point on the inside of the leg where the hinges are when pushed up against a side panel on a bike or sled these have this problem?
I were my guards or braces over the base layer. the base layer serve as a buffer from chaffing and its more comfortable that way. Also, I don't put them on till i get ready to ride so its really the only way. The Leatt Guards I have fit perfect and there are no pressure points...because they are guards. When I first tried on my Mobius braces they were uncomfortably tight on the sides of my knees but were the size correct recommended for my leg. Even with the thinest petella pads included with the braces. upper and lower leg fit perfect. I emailed Mobius and they had me expand the petella region (think sides of the knee) by putting an object about an inch wider than the brace (I used a magic marker) for 24 hrs to expand the cup. That helped a lot and they are very conformable now.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
How old are you if you don't mind me asking and what was the incident that cause it and are you in America that insurance covered it. IDK how that works in canada. I just turned 23 on dec so still a young fella and learning how to ride still. My dad in 2017 or something like that can never remember for whatever reason ripped his quad tendon right of his knee nothing he could do about that one. Was following the group on the trail out and the dude in front of him when over the creek snow bridge and fell through then since it was over a small ditch the guy behind could see him and his leg with the ski if i remember correct.
The issue with my knee would not have made a difference on age. Basically, I was on a steep sidehill and had gotten stuck.....like many times, doing dumb stuff! LOL Had to roll the sled over, like a 1000 times before but after it rolled and was set into place things went a little different.

I thought I would tug one more time to bring the front over just a little more and slightly more downhill towards me. In doing so, the sled moved more then expected, plus at that exact moment I broke through a layer of snow with my left leg. This momentum caused me to tip sideways downhill, bending my knee sideways, which in turn tore some things lets just say!! The trip turned to NOT FUN after that!!! Luckily it was at the end of the day and we were on our way out, which meant we had already crossed back over a creek, were done sidehilling and were done coming down most of the mountain! Thank God! All that was left was an 11 mile bombed out trail ride with a torn up knee that you could not put any weight on......which sucked azzzz.

All I can say is that things happen super fast out there and anyone can get hurt quick!! After riding for years, being hurt and watching buddies get hurt, take care of yourself and spend a little extra on good gear and protective equipment! It can save you on medical bills, pain, time lost and the headache of being laid up!!!

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
The issue with my knee would not have made a difference on age. Basically, I was on a steep sidehill and had gotten stuck.....like many times, doing dumb stuff! LOL Had to roll the sled over, like a 1000 times before but after it rolled and was set into place things went a little different.

I thought I would tug one more time to bring the front over just a little more and slightly more downhill towards me. In doing so, the sled moved more then expected, plus at that exact moment I broke through a layer of snow with my left leg. This momentum caused me to tip sideways downhill, bending my knee sideways, which in turn tore some things lets just say!! The trip turned to NOT FUN after that!!! Luckily it was at the end of the day and we were on our way out, which meant we had already crossed back over a creek, were done sidehilling and were done coming down most of the mountain! Thank God! All that was left was an 11 mile bombed out trail ride with a torn up knee that you could not put any weight on......which sucked azzzz.

All I can say is that things happen super fast out there and anyone can get hurt quick!! After riding for years, being hurt and watching buddies get hurt, take care of yourself and spend a little extra on good gear and protective equipment! It can save you on medical bills, pain, time lost and the headache of being laid up!!!
Do you know if there are any brands to look at online canada or go somewhere. I seen mobius stuff on fortnine thats my go to online. one of those unknown percents ld like to know. People wearing nothing, guards or braces haha

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Personally, I wasn't a fan of the Mobius as I was looking for something with more convertibility. Basically the ability to remove the "guard" portion and be able to wear the brace for other activities if I wanted.

The only way, you would get insurance to cover would be to have an existing injury so that's probably out.

With regard to places to check out, I would start with some of these places as most even offer a free first exchange for sizing.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Personally, I wasn't a fan of the Mobius as I was looking for something with more convertibility. Basically the ability to remove the "guard" portion and be able to wear the brace for other activities if I wanted.

The only way, you would get insurance to cover would be to have an existing injury so that's probably out.

With regard to places to check out, I would start with some of these places as most even offer a free first exchange for sizing.

Kinda like the looks of this one I’ll see what I can find on ithttps://fortnine.ca/en/leatt-z-frame-knee-brace the pod m4a are nice too. We have a place in town that is called hi tech braces they actually have the mobius ones there

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
I mean we’re in the -5 to -15 celcius when we ride typically
I’d go base layer, then knee guards, then an insulated shell then. I like the guards near the knee, but isolated by the base layer. Maybe a one piece suit? -15c? I’d be freezing. How big are your gloves? I wear basically thick motocross gloves from Klim. Fingers get cold but tolerable in 30F we usually ride in

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I’d go base layer, then knee guards, then an insulated shell then. I like the guards near the knee, but isolated by the base layer. Maybe a one piece suit? -15c? I’d be freezing. How big are your gloves? I wear basically thick motocross gloves from Klim. Fingers get cold but tolerable in 30F we usually ride in have not rode
I haven’t rode that cold yet. Most our days were like -5. Dad said the coldest he’ll is -15. They had a trip booked and went the first day was -16 he said dress warm and it was fine. He said the next day was -22 and it was awful. Not much difference on the thermometer but he said it felt like riding if you were standing out in -30 with wind chill ew

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I’d go base layer, then knee guards, then an insulated shell then. I like the guards near the knee, but isolated by the base layer. Maybe a one piece suit? -15c? I’d be freezing. How big are your gloves? I wear basically thick motocross gloves from Klim. Fingers get cold but tolerable in 30F we usually ride in
1703917172450.jpeg
This big lol. I think there like a klim spool or the 509 freeriders a bit warm for spring riding perfect for like -2 to -7c ish. A bit chilly on the trail I have some of my dads old ones if I need to swap for the ride in

trees happen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Anywhere there's snow
Looking at getting some knee guards for this season. My uncle gave me the cheapest fox ones and just worried they move around too much. What do you all like. I’m a young fella just wanting protection from shin bashing mostly. Our dealer one has the mountain lab ones then go into the hinged style. I also don’t want one too hot if possible
I run Fox Pods knee braces, that the guards are integrated. I'd get something from Asterisk, Fox, CTI, something with the BOA system is helpful. Might as well get braces, if your getting guards.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Over the base layer and adjust the base layer as needed for the forecast. If you don't typically wear a base layer then go with a knee sleeve then the brace and of course your mid layer over the top.

Premium Features