• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee brace ?????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Hey Guys,

So after tearing up my knee and a surgery later, I'm wondering if I should be looking to get a brace for the the knee they repaired. It feels "pretty good" but.......I still have some issues and some pain, especially lateral movement or when the knee gets some pressure outwards. It just bites still at times and isn't quite what is was, but that's life!! LOL Then again, I'm not getting any younger either!!

I have done some research and read several threads on here but I'm wondering if there is any new advice with regard to this topic at all???

Also, anyone else have any luck getting one of these covered by insurance?? I know why even ask, as I'm sure that would be a battle and really it's not a huge deal if they don't but I'm just curious.

As far as brands of braces these are the two that come up quite a bit and guys seem to mention.

Anyways, thanks in advance!!

jotool

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2015
Sorry about your knee. That isn't any fun.

I broke my knee sledding the end of 2018 (first and last ride of the season) .

I wear a leatt knee protector like below. These cost about $100

They make braces also, priced similar to what you listed

I have been happy with the knee protector.

The brace would provide more stability.

Safe riding.

Screenshot_20231018-203240_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
I have the Leatt X-frame (IIRC) braces and although I've only worn them dirtbiking and this will be my first sledding seaaon with them, I will tell you that I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are and how well they track. By track, I mean they move with my knee in a way that I seriously doubted was possible. They even have an adjustable hinge to limit how much you can extend/hyperextend.

Haven't crashed real bad with them yet, so can't speak to durability or protection, but I do feel like they were worth the price compared to standard knee guards.

One tip, take your time on the sizing. I'm sort of between sizes and kept the smaller set, using the thinnest padding (talking about knee width here), thinking the padding would break in. It did not, lol. Not enough to cause a real issue, but enough to annoy me at times. They are sort of like a cast or a mold and should fit your knee PERFECTLY or you should try another brand or model.

Good luck!

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ll second the Mobius braces. I’ve ran multiple braces over the year for MX and sleds, these are the best and won’t ride without them. Two others in our group run them and we all agree. One thing to know, if you find a used set on ebay or something that is too small or large, Mobius will send you a new cable kit and pads if necessary to fit the shell to your needs. The shells are all the same size, just diffeeent pads, cables etc.. Their customer service is top shelf!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I’ll second the Mobius braces. I’ve ran multiple braces over the year for MX and sleds, these are the best and won’t ride without them. Two others in our group run them and we all agree. One thing to know, if you find a used set on ebay or something that is too small or large, Mobius will send you a new cable kit and pads if necessary to fit the shell to your needs. The shells are all the same size, just diffeeent pads, cables etc.. Their customer service is top shelf!
I'm leaning towards a pair or Mobius with all the positive reviews.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So, I watched a ton of videos and read a bunch more!! I have it narrowed down between the Mobius and the POD. The POD is a certified medical device, so I'm going to check and see if I could get them covered by insurance. Regardless, both seem like they would be great, so either way is definitely a step in the right direction.

Big "thanks" to everyone for the input!!

M

MRog40

Jan 23, 2022
Fargo, ND
I paid for my POD with my HSA and have heard of people using insurance to buy them. I think it'd be easy in your case given your knee injury history. There is no reason to even say it's protective gear for snowmobiling, at the end of the day it is a FDA approved knee brace just like any non-motorsports one.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I've been running custom-fitted CTI braces for 14 years have to replace the straps now and then but they are worth the 2500. each as I can walk after riding hard all day.

T
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I have a pair of Large Mobius braces I only wore a few times for sale.

Text or call me @ 801.888.4255 and we could work out a very fair price & I can send pictures and video.

Cain

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
I was able to use my HRA funds to purchase the pod K8 braces but my physical therapist was willing to write a prescription if I needed to use insurance. She said that some doctors don't understand braces as a preventative device for motorsports and wont prescribe them.

R
Nov 17, 2023
Montana
Not to hijack but you folks that have them prescribed did insurance actually help or bring the price down? I could really use one on my left knee for sure but I know with like prescription sunglasses it would have been cheaper to just buy them outright.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I was able to use my HRA funds to purchase the pod K8 braces but my physical therapist was willing to write a prescription if I needed to use insurance. She said that some doctors don't understand braces as a preventative device for motorsports and wont prescribe them.
I think the problem with insurance is the "preventative" notion. I'm not defending insurance companies but when one starts talking preventative measures that opens the door on just about anything for an insurance company to cover, which in turns means more claims and more pay outs and higher rates for everyone. If you have affected body part (knee, elbow, ankle or whatever) and have documentation that shows you should have some sort of medical device to aid you, then yes insurance companies shouldn't even say a damn word about it and cover it!! I think that's only fair and most shouldn't have an issue with purchasing the other piece or side to protect the other side from injury, thus being "preventative". Just my .02cents.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well, after a ton of research, reading, watching videos and comparing I ended up with the POD K8's.

The K8's are carbon fiber construction and are about the lightest on the market coming in at only 490 grams (1.08 LBS). They also come with extra fitment pads to customize the fit and are completely rebuildable, which is nice too. You can also remove the knee guard portion, which is nice if you happen to want to use them for other activities. We do some hiking in the summer, and my affected knee has been giving some issues during these times, so it might be nice to try it for this also?

They are also a "Medical Certified Device" and insurance stepped up to pay 80% for the affected knee. If I would have met my deductible, they would have covered 100%. So, I'll end up having to purchase the opposite side out of pocket but no big deal in the end.

Thanks again to everyone for the input and advice!!

Last edited:
Premium Features