• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee guards

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Over the base layer and adjust the base layer as needed for the forecast. If you don't typically wear a base layer then go with a knee sleeve then the brace and of course your mid layer over the top.
I found a rider i follow on IG was just replying to a bunch of people. He wears his base then , guards similars size to the dual axis and then mid and shell

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Thats it.. also the sides on the straps have quick clips so you don't have to pull them up your leg.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
Speaking of Leatt, does anyone wear the neck brace or is that just a moto thing? I’ve got the neck brace but rarely wear it out on the bike. I’ve never seen anyone on a sled with one.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I have the alpine stars. I think they are the hinged ones you had a picture of. Stay put and are bendy. I have bought from revzilla before and dennis kirk. Both have returned stuff easy enough in the past.

I have a few different thicknesses of base layers depending how warm or cold. Then guards. And I often wear shorts over my base layer. Then uninsulated one piece shell

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I bought both the Leatt Dual Axis and the EVS TP199 last year because they were both highly recommended. The Leatt are a little more comfortable because they aren't as tight on your leg and probably give a little more protection with the hard plastic shell. The only real downside is they will slide down your leg if you don't have a tall boot to hold them up. I tried using them for downhill mtb and was constantly having to pull them up to keep them in place, since I didn't have a boot to hold them up. The EVS work better for mtb because they are tight on your leg with silicone strips that grab your skin. They don't try to slide down at all.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I bought both the Leatt Dual Axis and the EVS TP199 last year because they were both highly recommended. The Leatt are a little more comfortable because they aren't as tight on your leg and probably give a little more protection with the hard plastic shell. The only real downside is they will slide down your leg if you don't have a tall boot to hold them up. I tried using them for downhill mtb and was constantly having to pull them up to keep them in place, since I didn't have a boot to hold them up. The EVS work better for mtb because they are tight on your leg with silicone strips that grab your skin. They don't try to slide down at all.
I got klim klutch boots

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I'd like to find a good set too. I tried the fancy Mobius ones but returned them after one ride. Not at all comfortable, huge, bulky, and when I put a knee on the seat, I slipped everywhere.

djdj

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 1, 2022
Colorado
I know the sleeve style are a biking thing. These are a few I waslooking at one is a shot racing, the fox one with a strap above the knee, there is also the mountain lab ones they have at the dealer and I’ve heard great things about the leatt dual axis. And also one called and evs tp199View attachment 413631
Unfortunately, while these are D30, well vented, and low profile, they broke on my second ride without taking anything that felt like a significant impact. More specifically, the plastic holding the metal lower pivot point together broke on both sides of the right guard. Fox has said they will warranty, but would rather have a more durable unit. Got some O'neal $50 guards which I used as a backup and those seem to work well enough.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I'd like to find a good set too. I tried the fancy Mobius ones but returned them after one ride. Not at all comfortable, huge, bulky, and when I put a knee on the seat, I

I'd like to find a good set too. I tried the fancy Mobius ones but returned them after one ride. Not at all comfortable, huge, bulky, and when I put a knee on the seat, I slipped everywhere.
I will say, I also run Mobius and if you don’t get them put on and set just right, they’re a major uncomfortable mess but if you get them set up correctly, you don’t even know that they are on. One thing I’ve had to do is make sure that the baselayer that I’m wearing is pulled and stretched tight down towards my feet so that the knee braces don’t ever slide back down ever so slightly.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I now have some time on my POD braces and all I can say is............why didn't I purchase these sooner?!?!?!

With any knee brace the first time putting them on you may feel a little awkward but this feeling faded very quickly and they felt great the first day out on them. The fit is good and they do not move around. Once they were put on in the morning, snugged up, a couple quick steps and then a re-check and away I went. They also work very will with the Klim Adrenaline Pro Boots. For myself I had no issues with the top of the boot coming in contact with the bottom of the brace, everything "fit" together.

Once on, I had no issues with putting my outer shell over the top of them. No binding or "tight" feeling at all, as they moved freely with me and not against me. I would recommend the Klim "Override Alloy Pant" also. I use these as a base / mid layer and they work well with knee braces as they have a tapered leg with a lighter material starting above the knee, going down. The braces fit great over the top of these. Basically no bulky mid layer that moves or can get bunched up underneath the knee brace.

Here's a link to the Klim Override Alloy Pant,

Once on the sled and riding I really couldn't even feel the braces anymore. The continued to move with you and remained comfortable all day long. I never had a time where I was like, wait a minute, these are getting uncomfortable or I need to adjust these. They just plain worked great all day! The protection provides great coverage and does not rub on the knee as this knee guard area as ample room for the knee cap. If for some reason you do not want the knee guard protection, this can be removed and the brace can be worn without the knee guard protection. Another notable mention is that the POD Braces are a "medically certified device" so you may have luck getting some insurance coverage depending on your medical history and insurance.

At the end of the day, back at the trailer is where it got interesting. As we changed out and I took the braces off, then you could feel the difference!!! Both knees felt "loose" without the braces and stabilization, so that tells me they were working all day!! After about 5 to 10 minutes you get your normal feeling back and all is good.

At this point I have no complaints but they are still very new but so far I would give them a thumbs up and recommend them!!

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Tangential at best, but figured I should share my experience. I went to IP for the first time about 2 weeks ago. As I was getting dressed in the trailer, I looked at my knee braces hanging on the wall and thought about putting them on. I have plenty of room in my onesie and it would've taken maybe 3-4 minutes to strip down enough to put them on after I had already gotten dressed. I was going out with a very new sledder that day, so nothing crazy planned... Seemed like overkill.

ANYWAY...I ended up giving a ski pull in a bad spot and getting my lower leg run over and crushed by a ski. Thank God my little chicken leg didn't break, but 2 weeks later, my lower leg is still yellow (bruising) and pretty tender.

Moral of the story: Knee/shin guards can prevent some pretty gnarly (albeit, non-life threatening) injuries. If you have them already, friggin wear them, dummy! On the fence? Buy some. Cheap, pricey, doesn't matter. A snapped lower leg in the backcountry would be simply awful and every penny of a $30 set of guards would more than likely prevent.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Moral of the story: Knee/shin guards can prevent some pretty gnarly (albeit, non-life threatening) injuries. If you have them already, friggin wear them, dummy! On the fence? Buy some. Cheap, pricey, doesn't matter. A snapped lower leg in the backcountry would be simply awful and every penny of a $30 set of guards would more than likely prevent.
My philosophy on my Tek Vest.
Every time I go out, the Vest is on.
Lord only knows HOW many times I haven't been Skewered by a tree because I just happened to have it on..

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
My philosophy on my Tek Vest.
Every time I go out, the Vest is on.
Lord only knows HOW many times I haven't been Skewered by a tree because I just happened to have it on..

Absolutely. I am the same way with my chest/back armor. Just figured knee protection on a sled was to keep from catching it on a stump or a rock. Since I was planning to take it easy that day, I knew that wasn't even possible. Never thought I'd need protection from a stuck sled! Hope this helps someone on the fence to see the utility in knee braces.

Premium Features