• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody have 24 Freeride Seat Time?

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Curious if any Polaris owners have spent time on the new Freeride. Between the no T motion, narrower track and front geometry changes, it feels like it may be as close as we get to a Doo that rides like a Poo.

I could also see it feeling heavier than a normal ski doo because of those changes so interested to hear how people think it rides

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Curious if any Polaris owners have spent time on the new Freeride. Between the no T motion, narrower track and front geometry changes, it feels like it may be as close as we get to a Doo that rides like a Poo.

I could also see it feeling heavier than a normal ski doo because of those changes so interested to hear how people think it rides
I’ve been also curious about that🤔

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Since the Forum Expert is rich as dirt, I think Chilly should pull the cushions from his couch and use that money to buy one. A forum expert review of the better designed and built Freeride would solidify the answers we need to make proper life decisions. Two manufacturer Forum Expert status would be unmatched. Plus, we need new content around here.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Since the Forum Expert is rich as dirt, I think Chilly should pull the cushions from his couch and use that money to buy one. A forum expert review of the better designed and built Freeride would solidify the answers we need to make proper life decisions. Two manufacturer Forum Expert status would be unmatched. Plus, we need new content around here.
😂Who’s the doo expert🤔

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Spent lots of time on all of them. The 24 free ride especially with iceage elevate spindles is the best handling doo I've rode to date. The power and power delivery is superior IMO but the poo 24 mapping and 3.25 track has closed that gap substantially.

I think for a moderate rider or anyone who's not obsessed with super challanging terrain it's a phenomenal sled. BUT the harder you push a doo. It's still a doo ans the steering does dumb **** and it washes out easier.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I am officially retired as the Doo expert. The forum is like the UFC. You aren't allowed to hold belts in 2 weight classes. As I got older, it was just too much riding junk to keep up with less talented riders on Polaris. Find someone else that likes being handicapped by riding a sled that doesn't handle worth a sh!t.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I rode around the other day in some very technical terrain with a guy on a Gen 5 Expert NA (granted it wasn't a freeride), and I was astounded at how poorly that sled performed compared to the 3 Matryx's in the group. It trenched, washed out, and was generally a pain in the ass to ride.

The doo chassis is very unfortunate because their motor is pretty awesome - and there's shot...

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The 24 freeride is harder to ride over a 23-24 expert, just because of the extra weight and 36 vs. 34 front end. Your better off with good shocks on the expert. If you ride deep snow, like 3' pluse the doo shines there, the less snow and into spring snow the polaris gets better. Up hill I like the doo better no matter how steep it is. down hill I love the polaris, no strange diving. You just need and doo turbo and a polaris n.a.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I have been on a few Polaris sleds but not enough time to really give specific feedback. All I knew was I liked it and on my last sled and my current 24 Freeride I went way down the rabbit hole with mods to get it closer to the Polaris feel. As mentioned above the ice age spindles make a big difference. I also did the sly dog attack skis and I am extremely impressed with them. The massive ski rubber really seems to help. My skid is also completely changed with Tom's, big wheel, rails, air shocks etc. I was out yesterday with a Polaris guy and I offered my sled to him to give it a try and he is buying a Freeride this week.

My sled has been trenching but I just found out Fox somehow assembled a bunch of shocks without any lubrication. Tom's had me new shocks on my doorstep the next day after discussing it with them at 3pm the day before. Extremely impressed with Tom's service.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I rode last weekend with a bunch of new doos, (one was a 24’ free ride) and a 24’ boost 155x3.25 in 3’ of fresh. I bought a new boost 3 days later. The 24’ boost is an animal for the type of riding I do.

The engine annd track is phenomenal on the Doo but I hate the rest of the sled. They don’t get on the snow as well and fights you in the technical. There’s still the tendency to stay on 2 skis combined with the wonky steering making it feel heavier and less nimble than the boost.

D
I have been on a few Polaris sleds but not enough time to really give specific feedback. All I knew was I liked it and on my last sled and my current 24 Freeride I went way down the rabbit hole with mods to get it closer to the Polaris feel. As mentioned above the ice age spindles make a big difference. I also did the sly dog attack skis and I am extremely impressed with them. The massive ski rubber really seems to help. My skid is also completely changed with Tom's, big wheel, rails, air shocks etc. I was out yesterday with a Polaris guy and I offered my sled to him to give it a try and he is buying a Freeride this week.

My sled has been trenching but I just found out Fox somehow assembled a bunch of shocks without any lubrication. Tom's had me new shocks on my doorstep the next day after discussing it with them at 3pm the day before. Extremely impressed with Tom's service.
The same thing happened to me. I have a 2022 Freeride 154” NA with Tom’s Torsion spring delete kit w/FOX QS3 Evols on the front. 3 rides into last year I had a Front ski shock fail in me. Tom told me he has never seen so much scarring in a FOX shock in his life. He sent me brand new QS3 Evols within 3 days. The Dude is the Best in the business. Glad to hear and read your post. I thought I was the only one this happened to. 👍

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I find it entertaining all of the comments of the doo doesn’t get on the snow, doesn’t anyone know how to setup a suspension?
It’s a well known and documented fact that Polaris and cat beat Doo in getting on top of dry fluffy snow with polaris taking the edge above cat. I’ve owned all 3 brands in recent years and have ridden every new sled (besides the catalyst) extensively. Doo is always the trench queen in every group. Even with a properly set up suspension they ride butt end low. The g5 is an improvement, but it still isn’t on par with the matryx.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It’s a well known and documented fact that Polaris and cat beat Doo in getting on top of dry fluffy snow with polaris taking the edge above cat. I’ve owned all 3 brands in recent years and have ridden every new sled (besides the catalyst) extensively. Doo is always the trench queen in every group. Even with a properly set up suspension they ride butt end low. The g5 is an improvement, but it still isn’t on par with the matryx.

Again, Setup the suspension. Whats being mentioned is not in my experience getting off my G5 onto a matryx, but I also do not run factory suspension settings, it’s the first thing I get done on a new sled, a respring and revalve. I don’t even need to drop my fuel in 4ft of fresh, last year a guy on a boost asked me how I was getting around so easy with all the weight on my tunnel, they couldn’t climb out of where we were, I got out first attempt, straight up and over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Again, Setup the suspension. Whats being mentioned is not in my experience getting off my G5 onto a matryx, but I also do not run factory suspension settings, it’s the first thing I get done on a new sled, a respring and revalve. I don’t even need to drop my fuel in 4ft of fresh, last year a guy on a boost asked me how I was getting around so easy with all the weight on my tunnel, they couldn’t climb out of where we were, I got out first attempt, straight up and over.

Kinda my point…spend $100’s or $1000’s to stay on the snow like a stock matryx. My last Doo stayed on top pretty good…after I bought a full set of exit shocks and ice age rails. The stock setup was hopeless. Trenching everywhere and leaving me wondering what happened.

Now if we add that same amount of money to a matryx we are back to where a Doo won’t keep up. I think we should keep it comparing stock to stock…..

Another point…all the suspension tuning in the world won’t fix inherently bad chassis designs….like the steering and twitching.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Kinda my point…spend $100’s or $1000’s to stay on the snow like a stock matryx. My last Doo stayed on top pretty good…after I bought a full set of exit shocks and ice age rails. The stock setup was hopeless. Trenching everywhere and leaving me wondering what happened.

Now if we add that same amount of money to a matryx we are back to where a Doo won’t keep up. I think we should keep it comparing stock to stock…..

Another point…all the suspension tuning in the world won’t fix inherently bad chassis designs….like the steering and twitching.

Again it’s a fixable issue.

Nothing wrong with the doo steering, the nervous bars is a different story but I have not ridden the freeride with the new spindles yet.

A dealer would have to pay me to ride a Polaris, I can easily fix doo’s shortcomings, but the “Polaris issues” reputation? I would not touch one with all of the bad design choices all over a Polaris.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If the Doo doesn’t get on the snow, then why will it drive away from the Boost on a hill with 3feet of fresh in a drag race? This what I have seen many times. And by the way, l ride a Polaris.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
In our snow the doo gen5 trubo gets up on the snow and it's gone, way better then the 24 boost with the 3.25 track. We have Wet heavy snow, revy snow is light compared to our area. If you ride you gen5 with the skis 3' in the air all the time, it rides light and turns on a dime lol.

S
Mar 18, 2018
Muskoka Freerider (Matt) doesn’t seem to have a problem getting the Doo up on the snow or Caper from what I’ve read. Suspension set up is key as Caper has mentioned. Would like to hear more from those that are Doo riders vs I saw this and I saw that. I’m certainly not in any hurry to get back on a Polaris and have ridden/owned both Polaris and Doo.

Premium Features