• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone run an AFTERMARKET head on an 2010-11 M8 or any 800HO for that matter?

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I bought my 2010 m8 used and it came with both the stock head and an RKT head with the domes for 7000ft+.

I had an RKT head on my m7 and LOVED IT. That is the sled I last rode before this one, I have no prev experience w/ the 2010 HO motor. Couple weeks ago I put the stock head on the m8 for some riding back here in MN. I'm leavin for Cooke in just over a week and an trying to decide if I should:

1. Leave stock head on, ride it for a couple days, and then possibly swap it to the RKT head.
PRO's
-See the difference more plainly between stock/RKT head.
-the sled has the 2nd year Cat Care warranty so having the RKT head on COULD be an issue if I had an unrelated prob that SHOULD be covered by the warranty.
-maybe I would be so impressed by the motor, in stock form, I would just wait till next trip to change, giving myself an "free added upgrade" next trip. Mostly psychological but hey, I'm looking at all my options.
CONS
-hassle to change a head mid trip. Either end up payin the Cat dealer($ is tight) or doin it myself(loose riding time)
-end up wishin I woulda had the head on the whole time
-get beat by my buddy who just got his new 2012 XP Etec...not good ;)

Or

2. Just swap the RKT head back on now and ride it the whole trip
PRO's
-no hassle, my own free, warm garage to do the workin. No xtra $ and no ridin time missed.
-most likely way to have most power which would equal most fun and hopefull no gettin showed up by the ETEC!

CON's
-if for some reason I ever had to ride the stock head, I'd be disappointed.
- Cat Care warranty might be tough to use if I needed to? (I heard there is a new owner at the cat dealer in Cooke? If it was still Brandon/Sara I wouldn't worry so much...u guys know anything bout that?)

So has anyone had ride time on the 800HO w/ a head on it at hi elev? Results? Likes/dislikes?

And if u were me, what would u do and why?

(Man, I am needy aren't I?)

Samiam

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
If the rktech head cleans up the rich running. I would put the head on. my 2010 runs strong but is a little rich.

The RKT head burns fuel more effectively and therefore ends up running richer than stock...I'm not sure I'm explaining this correctly but I know that the end result is it runs richer than stock w/ the head.

Richey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I have a stock 2010 HCR and it runs really good. I think I would be inclined to leave it stock and see how it runs first. I always like to compare things and see what kind of gain there really is in performance add ons. A lot of times it is not as much difference as you would think. Plus if you leave it stock you have the warrenty and can ride care free the whole trip.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
change it in your warm garage, hotel parking lot is no place to be working on a open engine if it can be avoided

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I would leave it stock, I ride with a guy who has a 2010 M8 Sno Pro and that sled rips, don't worry about beating that E-tech, just get into some pine trees and he will be so wore out from trying to man handle that XP that he will be out of breath in 5 min.

Stock those 2010's run awesome, the only thing you may want to do is put a Cutlers primary spring in it.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Got a buddy that just put one his 10 M8, I haven't ridden with him yet but he says it rips. If you dont want to notice a power loss going from MN to cooke i say put it on.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
2 say put it on, 2 say leave it off and I can't decide......I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

As far as compression, I THINK I saw 14.5-1 etched on the domes I have and I think that's 7000ft+ or maybe it was 5000ft+? Kelsey?

I can check the compression when I get home.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
that would be 7000+ I think, I have used RKT heads on several sleds, but if I lived in Mn I would not bother with swapping heads back and forth, 1 point of compression is not worth the hassle to me

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
so here's what I'm thinkin...

I think I'm gonna put the RKT head on, here at home. Proven motor w/ 1000+miles on it...chances r I won't have any major motor issues(of course now that I said that...) And if I have something major, I will swap it back before or whatever...I don't wanna mess w/ install out there, and cat dealer wants $140 just to swap head!!!

So that's what I'm gonna do....yep, definitley...unless I change my mind before tonight! :eek:

M
Feb 27, 2010
91oct for 13.1 so unless u have a higher octane fuel i would keep it stock.if so run it.the sled well out climb a e-tec hands down.its all rider after that.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
91oct for 13.1 so unless u have a higher octane fuel i would keep it stock.if so run it.the sled well out climb a e-tec hands down.its all rider after that.

that octane requirment is for sea level only, I run whatever I can get in my HO, mostly 87, but I live and ride at 8000 feet and above

Premium Features