• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building my sons ( soon 15year) first mod sled, need help :-)

F
Mar 9, 2024
Northern Norway
Many years ago i boght a weel used Cat M6, from well abowe the moral circle ( I my self lives 500km north of the Polar Circle so go figure :)

So i been moving around this old girl for years, and my oldest son, was getting tired of my Bear cat 570, so i told him wee could just trow the M6 together.
In my conserned head seeing him abuse the bear cat, i was thinking a 600 would bee to muche engine, for the skinny kid only 40 kg(90pound ish)

But ok.... Build the sled up from the ground, maybe he takes good care of it, and drives "safe"

So like the biker movie "fixing the shadowe" wee pulled the sled in to the workshop.....
While my son pulled the skid out, i started to search for the cylinders. I was just missing the o-rings i remembered..... So that night, i spent looking for nothing.
I then found out i sold BOTH cylinders to a friend...... BOOM.
After several days searching used jugs, i found a complete F7 Donor, with extra engine..... If he can drive a 600, why not a 700......
That sled also came from up North, so it took some days to find a driver for a van a friend off mine boght in the same area..... My lord what a prodject !!!!
Meanwhile my son had pulled the skid, and the front suspension.
Lets rebuild the shocs.......
well that ended in lets find a new suspension, aaaaaaaaaaand, yeah, the front end.... Lets swap that too.
So the "new" a-arms need powder coating, lets make a bath with causticsoda to get the old paint off. Good ****, it worked fine.
Then the spindle`s : STOP DONT DO THAT, nobody told mee.... That **** ATE my alu spindle`s ! 4 of them.
But thank lord, i DONT trow ANY Cat parts, i had 2 good one in the storage ( department B)
So the whole front end is at friend with powdercoating tools. The yoke was pink is fast, black takes som time.... the other day my son said.... I consider PINK.... But wee are waiting.
Wee have also been looking for a solution for the rear end....
The solution came on Facebook, a cheap Skidoo 146.... That can work, but what ? an EZ ryde suspension under it ? 2 hours after it was posted, i boght it.
So today wee slaugtered the Summit, most of it is sold, Just need to get rid of the Rk tek 860 Powerteck engine , ore maybe sombody have som bigbor M series engine to swap with it ?

The next thing wee need is a Track, then som advice on mounting this skid in the chassi. I searched a lot online, but not much tip on hove to mount them, AND adjust them.
So all tips would bee great :cool:

Pics will come, i promise !

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
The cat uses a 15" wide track and the factory doo 146's were 16" wide so I think the suspension arms will be too wide to fit in the Cat chassis. Sounds like a great father son project so far though!

F
Mar 9, 2024
Northern Norway
The cat uses a 15" wide track and the factory doo 146's were 16" wide so I think the suspension arms will be too wide to fit in the Cat chassis. Sounds like a great father son project so far though!
Huh.... Just cleaned myself up, hungry af when i saw your consern.... You had me running out in my "pj" to measure 🤣🤣🤣
Wee are all good, nothing a lathe cant fix 😁 fix the axels, and some bushings, no problem, only work !

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The EZ-Ryde skids came with a custom drop bracket and a template to mount them correctly in the M-series chassis. Might be tough to come by.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Where can i get ahold off the inventor ?
Anybody haw a Phone# ?
Ez ryde shut down years ago. Terra alps bought whatever was left to service them over the years. They likely can help with a template. But the skid components are likely obsolete from a parts support perspective. I know they were complaining about that years ago when I tried to find one for a sled.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Yes EZ ryde skids had a couple of parts that required replacement on service intervals. TSS was local to me and used a ton of EZ ryde skids and support has been an issue for many years. Rarely see them in use anymore.

F
Mar 9, 2024
Northern Norway
Yes EZ ryde skids had a couple of parts that required replacement on service intervals. TSS was local to me and used a ton of EZ ryde skids and support has been an issue for many years. Rarely see them in use anymore.
Dont see many parts that is not Easy too fix in my own workshop.
But because wee could not find a desent 153 track wee are going a different route.
Stick with a 141 and a Suspension from a 13 mod XF.

Premium Features