• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Am I expecting too much?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Story time-

It's mid January of 2023... I decide I would like to find a new Boost. I locate one about 100 miles away on January 26th and purchase it. I paid MSRP. A week or two later head 14hrs west to ride. Immediately I notice a hand and foot numbing vibration. I try to troubleshoot and think maybe I have a track/driver issue. I replaced the 2.75 with a 300LX after picking up. No luck figuring it out. Random bogs. Blow a belt in 12 miles. Sled went in the trailer with 20 miles and I rode another sled the rest of the trip. I get home, tear into it and find chewed up rollers in the secondary. I order and replace rather than taking it to the dealer 100 miles away. Still shaking. I call the dealer, they get me an appointment in about a week. When I drop the sled off I tell the service guy to make sure the tech RIDES THE SLED. It is a very obvious vibration/shake. A few days later they call, "your sled is done, the secondary was out of alignment". I had aligned with the TRS bar before ever riding... and I know his specs are slightly different from Polaris. I had removed or added shims... so I had a suspicion it was not fixed. When I picked the sled up I asked "Did the tech ride it?" Service guys goes "Uhhhhh.... he knows those machines really well" .... that's a no. I take the sled home anyway. Ride it about 50 yds and realize it's no better. I do a few laps around the yard and the clutches are HOT. Still thinking I maybe have issues I swap to a different track and drivers. Still shaking. Ok, it has to be a clutch issue. I pull the secondary apart and get another set of eyes. There is NO bushing in the movable shive on the secondary. There was NO bushing from the factory. I call the dealer, they say "bring it in". I explained to them that it's a long trip and I would prefer them to just get me a clutch. They hesitantly agree, ask for a bunch of pictures and they submit a warranty claim. I also asked for another new belt (they warrantied the first one that blew) as it has been very hot. The dealer tried to fight me because they had already warrantied one. I explained to them this one had been very hot and I would gladly bring it in sometime to swap "we'll see what we can do". By this time it is early March. 25 miles on the sled. I wait. They finally get back to me in April. The claim on the clutch and belt were approved and I can bring the sled in to have the new clutch put on whenever. I was hoping they could just ship me the clutch, but they wouldn't- which is ok, but I am a little frustrated beings it wasn't fixed the first time I brought it in. I push them off on fixing it as my season is over anyway.

Fast forward. I had an appointment this Tuesday to have the clutch put on. I go to load the sled up and its running on one cylinder. I think... ok most likely a plug, I am not gonna mess with it, I will let dealer take care of it. They can look it over incase it happens to be something else.

I walk into the service department, tell the kid the sled is running on one cylinder, likely need a plug. He goes "you want us to do a preseason check then?" I said- "is it free?" him-"$150" I said "no... it's got warranty still, doesn't it??" him-"yeah, but a plug is considered a wear item."

I go unload the sled and think about what he said. I come back and say "hey, I get it... I don't know for sure that it's a plug, can you guys just get it running properly?" .... he says "yeah" and writes some things down. At some point there he again explained to me that a plug is a wear item like a ski or a track and cannot be warrantied.

Wednesday morning I get a call "Hey we got that clutch replaced for you and looked into your runability issue. It was a fouled plug, its running good now. Going to be $105.XX"

I was mad like I have never been mad before. I explain to him that I paid $22,XXX for that sled in January. Wasted a 4 days riding trip to Colorado. Have now hauled it to the dealer multiple times. All I WANT IS THE BRAND NEW SLED THAT I BOUGHT TO RUN LIKE A BRAND NEW SLED AND IT NOT COST ME ANOTHER DOLLAR. I don't care that a plug is a wear item, I GET IT. It could have been some other issue. Put a $3 plug in it and be done. At some point in there I said "we should not even be having this conversation, it's unbelievable. $100 for a spark plug!?" .... the kid says quietly "two spark plugs....". The conversation ended by him saying he would talk to the service manager about it. I told him I would pay if I have to... but it's not right.

I would never take a sled to a dealer for a spark plug and expect them to warranty it. But I guess I thought beings it was going there anyway they would just take care of it no questions asked. Wrong.

Am I crazy? Should I pay for the $100 set of plugs and move on?

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Our polaris dealer is covering them on warranty, walk-in with a box of fouled plugs and walkout with a new box.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
A good dealer would have made this right. This isn't about the plugs, it's about a brand new sled that's never run right.

I agree, service fail!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You do know you bought a Polaris and not a Ski Doo? I think you are a being whiny. You should have figured out the plug deal yourself. This is the ****ty world we live in. Everyone expecting something for free.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
I’d have to disagree with my bro chadilac. I don’t think you’re asking too much. Service has gone to hell. The product has sold its self for too long and there is no reason for these dealerships to give you your rub and tugs like they used to. Raise more hell and see if they will make it right.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You do know you bought a Polaris and not a Ski Doo? I think you are a being whiny. You should have figured out the plug deal yourself. This is the ****ty world we live in. Everyone expecting something for free.
LOL I sold an incredible running G5 Turbo for this sled. Mistake.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
*buys a NEW snowmobile, wants it to be right, nothing else* “expecting something for free”

😂 I asked though, and looking for honest opinions, not affirmation. I’m just glad you didn’t call me poor yet, thanks chilly

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I think he was just looking for service and an honest answer. The polaris dealer I have snowchecked three sleds from. Did not have enough left for me to get a 23 boost so I had to purchase somewhere else further away. The dealer close to me will not work on it. Even though Ive Snowchecked there three times before. So seems like the OP has dealer issues like I have. Am trying another dealer that seems eager to help me not to far away so we will see.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I think he was just looking for service and an honest answer. The polaris dealer I have snowchecked three sleds from. Did not have enough left for me to get a 23 boost so I had to purchase somewhere else further away. The dealer close to me will not work on it. Even though Ive Snowchecked there three times before. So seems like the OP has dealer issues like I have. Am trying another dealer that seems eager to help me not to far away so we will see.
Classy outfit.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Have you spoke to Polaris hq about the dealer refusing to work on your sled? If it’s warranty they shouldn’t be able to refuse.
Friend had the exact scenario with a travel trailer……dealership called him to schedule the warranty work after hq called and lost their **** on the dealer.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
no way in hell I’d buy a Polaris right now and anybody that does needs to be fully aware of the constant issues.
having said that, you’re dealer needs to step up and then relay this bullshit that you’ve gone thru to Polaris.
you’re not expecting too much.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I did mention calling polaris directly. That was not received well. After done with our discussion called another dealer who was recommended . Wish I had started there years ago. After the problems trying to get warranty service probably not the best best idea to have them work on my sled. Don't want any one with a bad attitude wrenching on my stuff.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Sounds like a really ****ty dealer that deserves to be reported to hq. quality dealers are getting harder to find but I feel that it’s because no one complains to hq about the ****ty ones

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Sounds like you and Chadly got the same clutch set up from Polaris. He just runs his without complaining.
Seriously though you could get ahold of Polaris but I’m not sure it would be worth the time and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
no way in hell I’d buy a Polaris right now and anybody that does needs to be fully aware of the constant issues.
having said that, you’re dealer needs to step up and then relay this bullshit that you’ve gone thru to Polaris.
you’re not expecting too much.

Can’t put a price on recreation! With all the issues I’d still take a pos Polaris over anything else.

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Sucks, I’ve been lucky on my Polaris sleds so far in 2023 ~3000 miles between my 9R and Boost and only lost two spark plugs otherwise flawless all mountain riding in Colorado. Hope my 2024 is as good… my 2023 ski doo turbo lost the engine at 300 miles so I think it’s just luck of the draw with all these sleds just favoring performance over reliability. But damn they are FUN!

Premium Features