• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha vs twin rail and whether to go back to twin

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
A comment was made the alpha is too fast.
If it’s too fast release your panic grip.
I love it for the ability to feather slow through things other sleds would leave you stuck in.

Throttle control.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've found you have to slow down with the Alpha side hilling on harder snow. I heard Rob Kinkaid (RIP) say the same on a video. Where it gets unpredictable for me is when there's hard old tracks and holes not too far under the surface. The alpha track tries to contour to those and tries to tip the sled that way instead of cutting it's own track. Also when the snow is crusty with layers I have more problems with a ski breaking through and the whole sled immediately tips and submarines in (this is where it might be better to go faster).

I'm also a 300lb gorilla so I'm top heavy. When it goes it goes! Might be why I like 38" ski stance over 36" too.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Your ski dump described above is characteristic to the stock ski.
We have Mohawks on all our alphas for that reason, also think they help track through the unpredictable better.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Running Powder Pros on all my stuff so not the issue in my case. I only swap stock G2 ski onto my twin rail in the spring to ease the steering in the hard snow.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Running Powder Pros on all my stuff so not the issue in my case. I only swap stock G2 ski onto my twin rail in the spring to ease the steering in the hard snow.
Hey? Wtf? That’s what I do and it works sooo good in spring! Powder pros and all!And i don’t dgaf about spring rock riding with st0ck skis!

B
Jul 28, 2008
I don't understand some peoples negative opinion of the alpha rail. It's just BETTER than a twin rail for everything in deep snow, except durability. (they're easy to bulletproof)....but by all means, go back to a twin rail so you can pack around another 30lbs of snow and work harder to get it on edge.........lol

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't understand some peoples negative opinion of the alpha rail. It's just BETTER than a twin rail for everything in deep snow, except durability. (they're easy to bulletproof)....but by all means, go back to a twin rail so you can pack around another 30lbs of snow and work harder to get it on edge.........lol
That is the key. Very few will refute its deep snow performance. Its when conditions get less than ideal that its weaknesses show.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I love my alpha and it's why Im thus far sticking with my cat when a factory turbo Doo is extremely appealing lol.

It took many rides to get used to the alpha. Feet position makes a large impact relative to the twin rails.

Next up is your rider input, it's actually a lot less than a twin. Most people over ride the alpha, I sure did! That's why it takes many rides to hone into it.

I love how it just rolls over and everything is so much easier.

Ive owned this thing since 2019 and I ride well off into spring like may. When snow is setup you can't side hill fast as it falls off the line but they all do that. If the snow is crusty/hard/icy the alpha don't bite as good as a twin for sure however odds are you shouldn't be doing what you may of thought you could on a twin, by that I mean I've hurt my self on that icy stuff even on a twin when it slips out and throws you in a tree.

Even late spring it's a fun sled to ride but snows very dense and setup still more effort to side hill but I can't say I have wash out issues either, it's been similar to a twin rail for me when I've followed guys or Had others follow me.

My long short, if you only ride 5 times a season, you may not be able to "hone" in on the alpha so a twins easier. But if you can get out and ride every weekend, you'll get used to it and probably won't look back.

I believe the single rail is the next thing for all the brands in the mountains.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I put a four wheel kit on my alpha and additional training wheels below the rear scissor that i built.
I now see no disadvantage to an alpha except for rough trails (ex snocrosser so it hurts me internally to go slow) and icy roads.

My one buddy watched me do an icy sidehill last year that he was struggling on with his Polaris (hes a better rider). He said if his alpha worked as good as mine, he would have kept it.

One thing I see alot of is people run too soft ski shocks and blame the alpha for their sidehill struggles. When you run them too soft, you use half your travel just being on edge. Then when you hit a bump, it bottoms out and kicks you downhill.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
With everything you mentioned, twin will work better for you. I gave the 19 alpha a solid two seasons before switching to the Elevate twin rail setup. No regrets, best decision for me and my riding conditions/style. If I was younger or only rode super deep powder every time out, I would still have the Alpha rail. The alpha traction in the deep is king and a blast to ride. But for an all around setup the elevate twin is awesome.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I have both and find twin rail easier for my riding style but going to try a 4 wheel kit on the Alpha this season and see if it helps. Me that is. I tend to over ride the Alpha. 38 yrs of riding sleds you had to work to sidehill I guess.

Premium Features