• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha vs twin rail and whether to go back to twin

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
So this year i am having a hard time deciding on what to do for sleds. I have a 165 alpha and could not much progress on learning how do ride just seemed to struggle to ride it the few times i rode it last year. so a few things i just seem to struggle to keep it straight uphill, like my balance isnt good enough yet i think. I also struggle in basically any of camber situation. We have not been any super deep pow days and isnt like that a ton where we ride alot and maybe why swapping to twin rail may be better. I also feel like my confidence is too low to ride an alpha when they are supposed to be an aggresive rider. SO there is 2019 mountain cat with 450 miles in my area i seen for sale and am kind of thinking of swapping. Any thoughts on this would be great and the main question is do i swap or do i stick with the alpha? The days havent been very fun and had way better days riding at 2002 m600 so not sure what to do

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
If your used to a twin and really don't like the Monorail, by all means I would do a track/suspension swap out.
This way IMHO you can still go back to the mono if you really like what it offers over a twin .The deep snow is where it shines ( Monorail) and you stated that you don't see many deep powder day's, it's not that difficult to just do a swap over .

The Alpha is not (In my opinion ) for a skilled rider, it makes turns and handling easier especially in deeper snow, but on icy and packed snow it's not designed at all for that and needs rider input.

If it's in the cards to sell the Alpha and pick up a Mountain cat with those low miles, that is a no brainer. Your riding skills you stated, I think you enjoyed the twins on the old M sled and would be happier instated of being imitated evey time you go out riding.

It's all about the FUN Factor!!

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
If your used to a twin and really don't like the Monorail, by all means I would do a track/suspension swap out.
This way IMHO you can still go back to the mono if you really like what it offers over a twin .The deep snow is where it shines ( Monorail) and you stated that you don't see many deep powder day's, it's not that difficult to just do a swap over .

The Alpha is not (In my opinion ) for a skilled rider, it makes turns and handling easier especially in deeper snow, but on icy and packed snow it's not designed at all for that and needs rider input.

If it's in the cards to sell the Alpha and pick up a Mountain cat with those low miles, that is a no brainer. Your riding skills you stated, I think you enjoyed the twins on the old M sled and would be happier instated of being imitated evey time you go out riding.

It's all about the FUN Factor!!
Whats the best rail option and whats all needed to do a swap i can price it out. I love my alpha with how sick it looks too vs a stock black and grey 2019 mc8000

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
You will need the track the complete rear skid and a complete drive shaft. The only thing that is interchangeable between the two is the rear shock.

In your case, I would absolutely swap over to a twin rail cat over the alpha. you will be much happier.

I absolutely love the alpha on the deep snow days. The rest of the year, I ride khaos.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The best Alpha handling mod I did was dropping the front suspension to the bottom hole. It’d be the third hole on the front of tunnel. think I had to drill it out. That and 7 tooth drivers but I did them at the same time. It made it waaay more easy to ride. You got this. It’s not an easy stock sled to ride in my opinion.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Another cheap option to tone down some of the “alphaness” is to add the 4 wheel kit from racinstation to the back of the sled. I added one last year to prolong track life and found that it added quite a bit of stability and actually made side hilling on spring/set up snow much better. It still lays over and maneuvers better than a twin rail though. It’s kind of an in betweener feeling

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Another cheap option to tone down some of the “alphaness” is to add the 4 wheel kit from racinstation to the back of the sled. I added one last year to prolong track life and found that it added quite a bit of stability and actually made side hilling on spring/set up snow much better. It still lays over and maneuvers better than a twin rail though. It’s kind of an in betweener feeling
Huh thats a decent option i could look at that too. Im really starting to think im might go to a twin rail though

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Huh thats a decent option i could look at that too. Im really starting to think im might go to a twin rail though

If you’re not in a lot of deep snow like you stated, I don’t blame you. Just figured I’d throw another option out.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I like the factory skid but theres a couple other options
Kmod might widen a skinny rail for ya
I think cabon sled or nextech had one if ya had deep pockets

By the time I fully assembled my stock 18-19 skid I bet I had two grand in it. But you don't have to go all new parts

There's a 2017 mountain cat on marketplace that's been in a rollover. Only wants 2500. You could use that skid and part out the rest to make money

Last edited:
E
Dec 1, 2017
I was in the position as you last year. I stuck with it and figured out my foot placement had a lot to do with my balance problems. I love how easy it is to get on edge and sidehill in the neutral position. A 4 wheel kit is a help too

69976168456__D6F83DF7-7FB1-4299-A054-6899E4D0EB6F.jpeg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I really like my Kmod skinny Alpha when the snow is deep. Otherwise give me a twin rail. Hopefully the Catalyst chassis will change that.

Short of selling your current sled and buying that mountain cat the easiest way to convert to twin rail is buy a complete used skid, drivers, and track. Any year from 2016 to current will work, but 2016 will need the rail tips clearanced for the dropped driveshaft. If you keep your eye out you can find a skid without shocks for $500 or less. $750-$1000 with shocks. You can technically re-use your rear shock, but the Alpha and twin rail are valved different.

wally1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
The best Alpha handling mod I did was dropping the front suspension to the bottom hole. It’d be the third hole on the front of tunnel. think I had to drill it out. That and 7 tooth drivers but I did them at the same time. It made it waaay more easy to ride. You got this. It’s not an easy stock sled to ride in my opinion.
Hi, just wondering what improved by moving the front mounting bolts down? I have the stingray mods front spring but haven't had a chance to try it with that yet and was thinking about trying the 4 wheel kit also.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hi, just wondering what improved by moving the front mounting bolts down? I have the stingray mods front spring but haven't had a chance to try it with that yet and was thinking about trying the 4 wheel kit also.
Improved flick ability, easier to turn, lighter on the skis. Not perfect but 50% better

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Improved flick ability, easier to turn, lighter on the skis. Not perfect but 50% better
You know what else does that? Lowering the pressure in the front ski shocks. When I first got my Alpha, I was not liking it. Stock ski pressure was way too high. Surprised no one asked the OP what his set up was regarding suspension. I've been riding for almost thirty years and can say the Alpha is the easiest sled to ride in the backcountry. Everyone knows it excels in the super deep but even here in Sierra cement it is not too bad. Most guys over ride these mono rails.IMO

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
When you think about it, that makes sense cuz lower shock pressure will make the fulcrum of the front of rear suspension be more of a fulcrum. Except the lower shock pressure will cause a crappy ride and front end will ride lower. Even so, Pretty crafty idear!

Premium Features