• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha vs twin rail and whether to go back to twin

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
You know what else does that? Lowering the pressure in the front ski shocks. When I first got my Alpha, I was not liking it. Stock ski pressure was way too high. Surprised no one asked the OP what his set up was regarding suspension. I've been riding for almost thirty years and can say the Alpha is the easiest sled to ride in the backcountry. Everyone knows it excels in the super deep but even here in Sierra cement it is not too bad. Most guys over ride these mono rails.IMO
Whats your weight and psi in all shocks? Im 180ish with no gear

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Alpha elevate 165.
180lb rider
Ski ~60psi
Front track ~80psi
Rear track ~125psi.

Been riding for over 3 decades.
Alpha is an awesome deep snow sled.
Khaos is an awesome firm snow, trail pounding mountain sled.
Twin rail cat is in-between.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Alpha elevate 165.
180lb rider
Ski ~60psi
Front track ~80psi
Rear track ~125psi.

Been riding for over 3 decades.
Alpha is an awesome deep snow sled.
Khaos is an awesome firm snow, trail pounding mountain sled.
Twin rail cat is in-between.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Problem for me is in conditions ive rode in. on alpha i felt like way more work to keep it on edge in what we were riding and there is only 1 speed on alpha and that is fast and dont feel like im at that level. i have tried many ski pressure and nothing has worked for me. Ski psi can only do so much. I want to go twin rail or even ski doo. not touching polaris period

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Sixty is way too soft for me. I cranked mine up to 120 the other day just cause it felt so squishy it made me do a complete impromptu doughnut in the parking lot.
Little too responsive
Here I thought they bled out over the last couple months. Was just going off others parameters

Everybody's different

Bubble nutty
I bought a gen5 it's absolute chit

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Sixty is way too soft for me. I cranked mine up to 120 the other day just cause it felt so squishy it made me do a complete impromptu doughnut in the parking lot.
Little too responsive
Here I thought they bled out over the last couple months. Was just going off others parameters

Everybody's different

Bubble nutty
I bought a gen5 it's absolute chit
my price range id be looking at 17-19 gen 4

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I love my acenders. Have a 19 and a 22 both twin rails.
Rode a 9r for just a bit and it felt nice but the clutching was off and also was getting snow on the belt. Felt like my feet were a lot higher but the bars were in the same spot. But I had just got off my at the time single rail that had just whiplashed the chit outta my neck and the poo put the biggest smile on my face.

I rode a gen4 154 that felt really good. They are nice machines

I'd sell ya my purple acender the price won't be right

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I love my acenders. Have a 19 and a 22 both twin rails.
Rode a 9r for just a bit and it felt nice but the clutching was off and also was getting snow on the belt. Felt like my feet were a lot higher but the bars were in the same spot. But I had just got off my at the time single rail that had just whiplashed the chit outta my neck and the poo put the biggest smile on my face.

I rode a gen4 154 that felt really good. They are nice machines

I'd sell ya my purple acender the price won't be right
you mean like the 19 mountain cat where r u at and what price?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I had an alpha and a twin rail mtn cat for two seasons. Hands downs steep, technical tree riding the twin rail was king. The alpha was fun, but very unpredictable in super technical terrain. I think you’ll love the 19’ mtn cat.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Problem for me is in conditions ive rode in. on alpha i felt like way more work to keep it on edge in what we were riding and there is only 1 speed on alpha and that is fast and dont feel like im at that level. i have tried many ski pressure and nothing has worked for me. Ski psi can only do so much. I want to go twin rail or even ski doo. not touching polaris period
One thing I did was narrowed my ski stance. I looked at the ball joints and drew a straight line down and lined up the center of the ski to that line. It basically is in the narrow position. It is something you need to get used to but it may work for you. Cheaper than buying something different! Another thing to consider if you are buying a 17 -19 doo you need to price in a engine also, not saying it will blow but every doo owner i ride with has replaced them at least once.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Lots of guys saying the monorail is unpredictable but I find it more predictable than a sled with T-motion.

If you are having a tough time keeping control on a straight climb, as OP mentioned, step back a 1/2 to full step on the running boards and keep your eyes looking where you want to go not where the tree is.

Premium Features