• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Am I expecting too much?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Also had a buddy with a 2020 with the walker evans piggybacks who wanted a set of QS3s. We swapped back and forth on the way back to the truck. Both agreed they are a huge waste of money. I had spent time setting the QS3s up, he had not touched his shocks from the factory.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Also had a buddy with a 2020 with the walker evans piggybacks who wanted a set of QS3s. We swapped back and forth on the way back to the truck. Both agreed they are a huge waste of money. I had spent time setting the QS3s up, he had not touched his shocks from the factory.

I mostly agree. I had QS3 on my cat that I struggled with. I originally thought weather and elevation were giving inconsistent response, but it was the seals kept leaking. I got tired of messing around with them and sent them off for a custom revalve. They were very-very good after that, like I thought they might be different shocks.
Fast forward a year I got a Matryx Khaos. Right out of the box the WE were very similar in ride after I figured out all the clicks. Now that I can set and forget with the WE, I would say they are almost as good as a custom revalved qs3. Wooped out trail going 80 is where they won’t compete. Thats exaggerating some just to make a point, but it can be correlated to some off trail type riding too. Higher speed with rougher terrain.

Now back to low expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I think air shocks suck because it’s like $3000 for a mediocre ride. Carls valved monotubes ride better than burandt QS3s… but I guess atleast you can sell the QS3s for good money when you are done with them.

I couldn’t disagree more. Carls revalve works for sure for stock but a well set up sled with someone that understands the needed inputs will get much more output from Burandts shocks. It’s not even close.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I remember when I was poor and judged mods by amount of money I had left in my bank account. 🤣 In all honesty who wants advice from old people who aren't that good of riders? Only other old people of course. A bunch of irrelevance from irrelevant riders. I have had groves of people ride my well set up air shocks and order a set when they got back to the truck.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I couldn’t disagree more. Carls revalve works for sure for stock but a well set up sled with someone that understands the needed inputs will get much more output from Burandts shocks. It’s not even close.
🤷🏼‍♂️ I used Burandts baseline settings and adjusted from there. It’s not rocket appliances. Never saw the value. I also don’t have the “eXpeNsIve is gOodEr” mentality that our forum pal Chilly has.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I remember when I was poor and judged mods by amount of money I had left in my bank account. 🤣 In all honesty who wants advice from old people who aren't that good of riders? Only other old people of course. A bunch of irrelevance from irrelevant riders. I have had groves of people ride my well set up air shocks and order a set when they got back to the truck.
Poor? No
Lamborghini? No
Old? No
Irrelevant? Yes
Not a good rider? Debatable

Paying to ride with Caleb and being stuck in his IG story doesn’t make you relevant Chilly. You do have an excellent reputation in the SW forums tho

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
seems like going in circles if you want to run heavier shocks cuz they ride better on the trail when you're all worn out from trying to dangle with lighter weight sleds on the mountain.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Poor? No
Lamborghini? No
Old? No
Irrelevant? Yes
Not a good rider? Debatable

Paying to ride with Caleb and being stuck in his IG story doesn’t make you relevant Chilly. You do have an excellent reputation in the SW forums tho

Hence the well deserved, forum expert title.

Glad to know we have people that will step up and hold Chilly accountable with sarcastic honesty. His boat anchor thread is right around the corner and will provide us poor, old, irrelevant, bad riders plenty of opportunities.

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
Story time-

It's mid January of 2023... I decide I would like to find a new Boost. I locate one about 100 miles away on January 26th and purchase it. I paid MSRP. A week or two later head 14hrs west to ride. Immediately I notice a hand and foot numbing vibration. I try to troubleshoot and think maybe I have a track/driver issue. I replaced the 2.75 with a 300LX after picking up. No luck figuring it out. Random bogs. Blow a belt in 12 miles. Sled went in the trailer with 20 miles and I rode another sled the rest of the trip. I get home, tear into it and find chewed up rollers in the secondary. I order and replace rather than taking it to the dealer 100 miles away. Still shaking. I call the dealer, they get me an appointment in about a week. When I drop the sled off I tell the service guy to make sure the tech RIDES THE SLED. It is a very obvious vibration/shake. A few days later they call, "your sled is done, the secondary was out of alignment". I had aligned with the TRS bar before ever riding... and I know his specs are slightly different from Polaris. I had removed or added shims... so I had a suspicion it was not fixed. When I picked the sled up I asked "Did the tech ride it?" Service guys goes "Uhhhhh.... he knows those machines really well" .... that's a no. I take the sled home anyway. Ride it about 50 yds and realize it's no better. I do a few laps around the yard and the clutches are HOT. Still thinking I maybe have issues I swap to a different track and drivers. Still shaking. Ok, it has to be a clutch issue. I pull the secondary apart and get another set of eyes. There is NO bushing in the movable shive on the secondary. There was NO bushing from the factory. I call the dealer, they say "bring it in". I explained to them that it's a long trip and I would prefer them to just get me a clutch. They hesitantly agree, ask for a bunch of pictures and they submit a warranty claim. I also asked for another new belt (they warrantied the first one that blew) as it has been very hot. The dealer tried to fight me because they had already warrantied one. I explained to them this one had been very hot and I would gladly bring it in sometime to swap "we'll see what we can do". By this time it is early March. 25 miles on the sled. I wait. They finally get back to me in April. The claim on the clutch and belt were approved and I can bring the sled in to have the new clutch put on whenever. I was hoping they could just ship me the clutch, but they wouldn't- which is ok, but I am a little frustrated beings it wasn't fixed the first time I brought it in. I push them off on fixing it as my season is over anyway.

Fast forward. I had an appointment this Tuesday to have the clutch put on. I go to load the sled up and its running on one cylinder. I think... ok most likely a plug, I am not gonna mess with it, I will let dealer take care of it. They can look it over incase it happens to be something else.

I walk into the service department, tell the kid the sled is running on one cylinder, likely need a plug. He goes "you want us to do a preseason check then?" I said- "is it free?" him-"$150" I said "no... it's got warranty still, doesn't it??" him-"yeah, but a plug is considered a wear item."

I go unload the sled and think about what he said. I come back and say "hey, I get it... I don't know for sure that it's a plug, can you guys just get it running properly?" .... he says "yeah" and writes some things down. At some point there he again explained to me that a plug is a wear item like a ski or a track and cannot be warrantied.

Wednesday morning I get a call "Hey we got that clutch replaced for you and looked into your runability issue. It was a fouled plug, its running good now. Going to be $105.XX"

I was mad like I have never been mad before. I explain to him that I paid $22,XXX for that sled in January. Wasted a 4 days riding trip to Colorado. Have now hauled it to the dealer multiple times. All I WANT IS THE BRAND NEW SLED THAT I BOUGHT TO RUN LIKE A BRAND NEW SLED AND IT NOT COST ME ANOTHER DOLLAR. I don't care that a plug is a wear item, I GET IT. It could have been some other issue. Put a $3 plug in it and be done. At some point in there I said "we should not even be having this conversation, it's unbelievable. $100 for a spark plug!?" .... the kid says quietly "two spark plugs....". The conversation ended by him saying he would talk to the service manager about it. I told him I would pay if I have to... but it's not right.

I would never take a sled to a dealer for a spark plug and expect them to warranty it. But I guess I thought beings it was going there anyway they would just take care of it no questions asked. Wrong.

Am I crazy? Should I pay for the $100 set of plugs and move on?
Where do you ride where the season ends in April? There was still 5-6ft of snow in June this year on the west coast...

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Season ends here when ground in valley thaws for work to resume.
Lot of good snow left, but time to make a living.

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
Season ends here when ground in valley thaws for work to resume.
Lot of good snow left, but time to make a living.
Copy. That makes sense. I am fortunate enough to work 8 days a month with 9+ weeks of vacation a year. Sometimes I forget that people have different work schedules. Hahaha. I definitely don't own a bunch of yellow vehicles but I do get to play in the mountains quite a bit!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Well they called on Friday, sled is finally done. Picked it up Monday. $66. I asked myself WWCD (what would Chilly do?) .... I threw a grand down, called them all poor and left.

Just kidding. I asked no questions, paid the bill, and went on my merry way with intentions of never returning to that dealership.

I got home and parked the pickup and sled in the shop for the night. Tuesday morning I come out to find a puddle of oil in the bed of my pickup. Fingers crossed that maybe they had to pull the oil tank for the fuel line recall and some got spilt in the belly pan and is dripping yet. Guessing my oil pump is leaking and it's gonna have to go back.

Sled went to the dealer with 8-10 gallons of fuel... the fuel light is now on. Not sure what my expectations should be there but find it interesting that they drained the fuel for the line replacement and didn't replace it. Not a big deal I guess since that fuel is from last season.

$66 charges show as a $45 diagnostic fee, $5 each for the plugs, $4.50 in shop supplies, and a $3 EPA fee.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Is ANY dealer required to complete warranty/recall work on a sled? Would like to take it somewhere else if it needs a new oil pump.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Pretty sure their franchise agreement requires them to service/warranty any sled that the manufacturer made.

Years ago, we had a local dealer who would refuse to work on sleds Inc. warranty work if you didn't buy it from there. A call to the manufacturer from me fixed that.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Any dealer can do the work. On a side note Grammas new Boost leaks oil and I haven't even run the sled yet.
I've been very happy with my Polaris sleds over the last 12 or so years... but this sled is putting a bad taste in my mouth. They really need to focus on reliability and ACCOUNTABILITY in 2025.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well they called on Friday, sled is finally done. Picked it up Monday. $66. I asked myself WWCD (what would Chilly do?) .... I threw a grand down, called them all poor and left.

Just kidding. I asked no questions, paid the bill, and went on my merry way with intentions of never returning to that dealership.

I got home and parked the pickup and sled in the shop for the night. Tuesday morning I come out to find a puddle of oil in the bed of my pickup. Fingers crossed that maybe they had to pull the oil tank for the fuel line recall and some got spilt in the belly pan and is dripping yet. Guessing my oil pump is leaking and it's gonna have to go back.

Sled went to the dealer with 8-10 gallons of fuel... the fuel light is now on. Not sure what my expectations should be there but find it interesting that they drained the fuel for the line replacement and didn't replace the it. Not a big deal I guess since that fuel is from last season.

$66 charges show as a $45 diagnostic fee, $5 each for the plugs, $4.50 in shop supplies, and a $3 EPA fee.
You definitely need a new dealer.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
That's kind of shady about the gas: makes me wonder if the service guy is just putting any gas he drains in his truck. Even if it is old gas and you were going to drain it, how would he know that? It's $20-30 worth of gas, hardly worth fighting over, but it sounds like half the aggravation with this sled would go away or never have happened with a good dealer. I'd definitely have an eye on a different sled (would almost have to be Doo, given how thin the Cat dealer network is). On the oil, I'd wipe it up if you can get to it, and see if it returns. Could be just a nuisance if it is a leak, but if it were me, I'd want to know where it's coming from before I took it out - that it's not a loose line that could fry a bearing or starve the oil pump.

Premium Features