• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Summit X Expert Observations After First Day Home

J
Nov 17, 2022
MT
Curious, any of you reporting wheelie "problems" running the 2.5" track? Thought about trying? Polaris guys are swapping out to Lynx or aftermarket 3" tracks to get more bite and more front end lift, maybe Doo guys need to do the opposite. :unsure:

D
Mar 13, 2014
Got my 2023 Summit X Expert with the 10.25 screen home today. Here are some observations for those getting one:

Fit and finish is excellent. When I picked up my sled today, my buddy also picked up his new Poo Matryx Slash. The Poo has some nice features, but fit and finish still lags behind Doo.

Storage: Stock storage sucks. First, you can no longer put goggles in the side panel like on the G4s. So, no easy place to dry out goggles anymore.
As for the glove box, it's not user friendly. It's weirdly shaped. Most importantly though, if you have the 10.25 screen, you cannot put much in there, including goggles, unless you remove the heated phone bag. I removed the heated phone bag and now can get a pair of goggles in the glove box, and not much else.

Coolant level: Mine was low, so check yours.

Linq brackets on tunnel: Mine were a bit loose, check yours.

Post forward kit: Bolted on - no issues.

Kill switch: Doo redesigned it. The red button on top is thinner, but the whole switch is a bit taller, so now my TKI kill switch protector doesn't work.

10.25 Screen: Mixed bag here. It is smaller than you'd think because there is a lot unused space at the bottom. Fairly responsive and usually worked at the first touch. Nice to have a clock on the screen. Pretty legible and bright. Really seems like a Beta version of a gauge, meaning it doesn't offer much. I like it, but not really worth the premium for it.

Doo 10.25 screen protector: It's plastic, not tempered glass. So-so quality but better than nothing.

LED headlights: They are bright. Still like the Lynx 3-headlight setup better though as far as looks.

Track: Looks a lot different from the G4 track. Doesn't appear that the lugs will fold over as much, we'll see. Lugs go all the way to the sides of the track now too.

Access: My buddy took all his panels off his Poo like nothing. As for the Doo, side panels come off okay, but the hood is still a pain.

10.25 screen battery: It's pretty small. Mine was dead and it needed several hours on my charger at home to bring it up to 100%.

Battery cover/spare belt holder: The belt goes in fine, but it takes a little finesse to get the battery cover back on with the belt inside.

New brake lever: The adjustability is nice - so far works for me.

Narrowness: Whole sled does seem a lot narrower. I really notices it when standing on the running boards with my size 13 Klim boots, they now hang over a bit.

Skis: I run mine centered, so mine are in the 35 inch wide setting. Still seems plenty narrow. Next to my buddy's Poo today, the new DS4 skis seem more like the Polaris Grippers now.

One thing I would take a look at....If you take the battery cover off you will notice the battery bracket isn't secured on the bottom closest to the tunnel. My buddy drilled a couple small holes through the metal tabs and the plastic and ran a small bolt through to secure it on both sides.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Conversely, if Doo could engineer a version without this trait they would win some people over.

Well you can always use quick adjustable limiter strap. On gen5 short is #5 and long setting is #1. On gen4 it was #3 and#5. On short position it holds skis down pretty well. Personally I think is innovation that no other brand has and these are reasons why I prefer Doo over Lynx. I did install it to my ´21 Freeride as it has been a great accessory since introduction.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Well you can always use quick adjustable limiter strap. On gen5 short is #5 and long setting is #1. On gen4 it was #3 and#5. On short position it holds skis down pretty well. Personally I think is innovation that no other brand has and these are reasons why I prefer Doo over Lynx. I did install it to my ´21 Freeride as it has been a great accessory since introduction.

You're wrong.

For 2023, per page 179 in the owner's manual, it's in the 4/6 setting, not 1/5 from the factory. Also, there's no way the adjustable limiter could move from 1 to 5 given its mechanical limitations.

I checked mine (2023 Summit Expert) and sure enough it is set at the 4/6 setting from the factory.

From the owner's manual:

Quick Adjust Stopper Strap System
On models equipped with an adjustable stopper strap, the lever posi- tion can be changed at any time. The crank mechanism will switch po- sition when tension on strap is released, i. e. when front portion of suspension is slightly compressed.
PRECISION+ to AGILE
From factory, the adjustable stopper strap is set in the way where the "AGILE" position = setting #4 on regular stopper strap. The "PRECI- SION+" position = setting #6 on the regular stopper strap.
The adjustable stopper strap length setting can be adjust by changing the bolts to the long position holes. Refer to the following illustration. Then, the "AGILE" position will = setting #2 and the "PRECISION+" position = setting #4.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
WHen you change the adjustable limiter strap, don't you need to adjust the non adjustable strap as well?

WHen you change the adjustable limiter strap, don't you need to adjust the non adjustable strap as well?
no, the adjustable strap operates within the range of the non adjustable one and that's why it's there--so you can do it on the fly without having to break out tools to do the non adjustable one.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The 2023s only have one strap now.
no, the adjustable strap operates within the range of the non adjustable one and that's why it's there--so you can do it on the fly without having to break out tools to do the non adjustable one.

The 2023 Summit Expert has only one limiter strap, not two.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
The 2023s only have one strap now.

The 2023 Summit Expert has only one limiter strap, not two.
that's interesting. when i added the strap kit to both of my freerides, the existing strap on the right side remains in place and can be adjusted so that the range on the adjustable strap is either holes 3-5 or 2-4. i figured the experts were set up the same way.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
that's interesting. when i added the strap kit to both of my freerides, the existing strap on the right side remains in place and can be adjusted so that the range on the adjustable strap is either holes 3-5 or 2-4. i figured the experts were set up the same way.
Doo eliminated some stuff on the Expert rear suspension to shave weight.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Doo eliminated some stuff on the Expert rear suspension to shave weight.
that's logical but why not shave weight on all sleds when the kit is installed by removing the original strap? gotta be more to it.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
that's logical but why not shave weight on all sleds when the kit is installed by removing the original strap? gotta be more to it.

Might have something to do with the fact that the Expert is the only Summit without the t-motion.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
looking at previous years of expert schematics, they have one strap and had t-motion so who knows.

D
Dec 22, 2018
You're wrong.

For 2023, per page 179 in the owner's manual, it's in the 4/6 setting, not 1/5 from the factory. Also, there's no way the adjustable limiter could move from 1 to 5 given its mechanical limitations.

I checked mine (2023 Summit Expert) and sure enough it is set at the 4/6 setting from the factory.

From the owner's manual:

On models equipped with an adjustable stopper strap, the lever posi- tion can be changed at any time. The crank mechanism will switch po- sition when tension on strap is released, i. e. when front portion of suspension is slightly compressed.
PRECISION+ to AGILE
From factory, the adjustable stopper strap is set in the way where the "AGILE" position = setting #4 on regular stopper strap. The "PRECI- SION+" position = setting #6 on the regular stopper strap.
The adjustable stopper strap length setting can be adjust by changing the bolts to the long position holes. Refer to the following illustration. Then, the "AGILE" position will = setting #2 and the "PRECISION+" position = setting #4.

Yes sorry I remembered this wrong. Limiter strap adjustable range was before 30mm and is now 50mm on G5. But anyways its now even more effective as range is longer. If the rider doesn't like ski lift, playing with torsion springs and limiter strap should give what rider needs.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
You're wrong.

From the owner's manual:

PRECISION+ to AGILE

So Precison is rowdy mode? And agile keeps front end down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
So Precison is rowdy mode? And agile keeps front end down?

You have it backwards.

Stock the "Agile" is on setting 4, and "Precision" is on setting 6. So, "Precision" would keep the front end down more than "agile."

I've run my limiter on setting #4 on my past two Summits and found it to be a good compromise and keep the front end in control. So, I'll be starting out on the Expert with the limiter set on "Agile," and see how it goes with the new rear suspension.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
You have it backwards.

Stock the "Agile" is on setting 4, and "Precision" is on setting 6. So, "Precision" would keep the front end down more than "agile."

I've run my limiter on setting #4 on my past two Summits and found it to be a good compromise and keep the front end in control. So, I'll be starting out on the Expert with the limiter set on "Agile," and see how it goes with the new rear suspension.

Mine came on agile will try it out and see what I think of it. Thanks

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Are the Gen5 Expert Turbo sleds using more fuel than previous N/A 850? Our other sleds are Gen4 850s so wondering if we will have to bring extra fuel on deeper snow days... I recall 4 specific days on my Gen4 850 175 that I would have loved to have another 3-4 gallons so I could keep riding hard.

Premium Features