• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Contrarian" First Ride Review: 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert

D
Dec 22, 2018
Spring carries the load, shock controls/slows down the movement.

But if you suspect your rear shock has failed, it definitely should be serviced.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Ok, after much anticipation, I finally got some seat time on my 165 Expert Turbo R. That thing is a BEAST!! Can't get the grin off my face. I've had Turbos before, but thing is crazy. Love the 10.25 gauge as well. Navigation function works well. I previously had 4 Gen 4's. Rode some deep stuff in the Flat tops today, handled great. Well done Ski doo!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yours would have been out-of-control if the gas was gone. Too light and skis in the air. I don't think it was your problem unless it was the fron skid shock.
Guy who bought said the shock had to be replaced.
Dealer confirmed its NOT the only one.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ok, after much anticipation, I finally got some seat time on my 165 Expert Turbo R. That thing is a BEAST!! Can't get the grin off my face. I've had Turbos before, but thing is crazy. Love the 10.25 gauge as well. Navigation function works well. I previously had 4 Gen 4's. Rode some deep stuff in the Flat tops today, handled great. Well done Ski doo!!
Is your Harley fast too?

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
First ride impression :p(y)(y):p:p:p:LOL::LOL::LOL:. . Definately more power than this 55 year old needs.. Coming off a 2018 165 G4, full helium kit, full dyno port exhaust, sled head clutching and a few other goodies that sled ran flawless. All I can say is this new turbo is dialed. The ride is smoother, it is just as easy to put on edge as the t motion sled. I am shocked on how seamless the power comes on, no lag at all. The only things I could criticize right now is the engagement is too high and when going down hill the hold back is not strong enough, going to have to get some SHR clutching. I think with us older guys getting the extra power of this will make us more tired until we get use to it. I love this thing!!!

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Humm and I have seen the pressures that have been in the 2023. Have you checked many 2023 yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My gauges won't measure the existing pressure in a shock, as I lose over 30% when I connect the gauge. I can only guess at what the pressure was based on what my gauge shows. I can only accurately measure the amount of nitrogen that I install in a shock. In a skidoo shock, it's 300 lbs.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Got 12 riding days on gen v 165. It’s a blast to drive pulling lines in deep snow it is very agile and forgiving. The fuel economy is great for turbo sled after break in.

Premium Features