• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Contrarian" First Ride Review: 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert

Idahome Clansy

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2016
Yup, there just has to be one in every group I suppose.
Today its my turn.

Context..

I am 60yrs old and was a HARD CORE Yamaha rider from 2008 till 2016 when Ski-Doo released the new Gen4 sleds.
Nytros, Phazers, Turbo Nytros, Supercharged Nytros, Turbo Viper ect..

I actively participate in Trail Riding, Mountain Riding, Meadow Riding, and regularly ride with people of all different skills levels including "Never-Evers".

Since last year I have been riding a 22 Turbo Expert, and absolutely LOVING IT. Best Damn sled I have ever owned!

=====

Today I was finally able to take out my new 2023 Turbo Expert for its first ride, and what an awakening it was.
Last year I remember riding one of the new Turbo Poos and really NOT liking it at all, but not spending much time trying to figure out WHY I didn't like it, just did not care for it's handing in particular.

Today, within minutes of riding the new Turbo Expert, I felt like I was back on one of my Nytros and remembering just how much I fell in LOVE with the new Gen4 T-Motion sleds back in the fall of 2016 when I bought 3 of them. The Gen5 Turbo Expert is an AMAZING SLED. When it comes to SIDE HILLING it DESTROYS the 22. Having removed the T-Motion renders the sled far more Precise, Deliberate and Intentional in its pure mountain prowess. I could hold a sidehill line far better than on my 22 w/T-Motion, and its no wonder to me at all why so many people rave about this sled.

But.
Because I spend a good deal of my riding time on the trail and in the meadows, the lack of T-Motion translated to a direct increase in the physicality of the ride. I remember all too well coming in off my Nytro after a 6hr ride being just TIRED. While the sled in all its iterations was very capable, I paid a price for riding it in increased muscle fatigue, mostly from its weight, but today I was reminded that it also came from the standard suspension.

While T-Motion gets a deservedly bad rep from the purely dedicated mountain crowd, I absolutely prefer it for general all around riding over the Non-Flex edge track and Non-Flexing suspension. The deeper and fresher the powder, the better the 23 Turbo Expert performed! The shallower and older the snow, the better the 22 Turbo Expert performed.

While I fully expect these comments to be "poorly" received here on SnoWest, I think its fair to say this sled is not for Everyone. If you are spending a good deal of your time sidehilling, its ABSOLUTELY the sled for you. If you are in your 20s/30s and don't mind the extra effort it requires, then its the performance beast you have been looking for. But if you are a fan of Ski-Doo's T-Motion, with its drawback and advantages, the 2023 Turbo Expert will likely not be your cup of tea.

As for me.
I will be SnowChecking 2 or 3 new 2024 Summit X Turbos this spring.
Will sell off both my 2022 and my 2023

Now.
Tell feel free to TELL MY WHY I AM WRONG..;)
Unhooking the stabalizer bars up front makes a huge difference on all the skidoo chassis’s to me. Everyone always says they can go from a cat to a poo without issues. Personally i can go from a doo to a poo with no issues. For whatever reason the stabilizer rod on the ski doo front ends is what i think most people struggle with. Ive never minded t motion or a t motion thats locked. I think with that stabalizer bar off the front end they become a whole new level of awesome and ease to ride.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
T-motion x 169.00 bucks bolts right in , and try the ds 3 skis buy a complete set and sell if you don't like , but think you might, either way you could keep both to put on sled when you sell or sell them and recoup your cost. and yes soften the entire suspension if your on 3 got to 3 in fronts and soften the rear as well. try it!!
Where do I find the $169 kit?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i paid 165 (have yet to install it) for mine. the above diagram says assembly so you're getting parts you already have/don't need.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
no but it's easy to look up. look in the brp accessories catalog.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Hmm. I don't see it. If anyone has a part number or link please let me know.

I would ask the dealer but I know how that will go.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Goridedoo was asking about T-Motion X which is the pivoting arm assembly that Norona said was $169. Yes the Rigid assembly (860202413) ( T-Motion XT) is $169. The complete pivoting assembly (T-Motion X) (503196241) is $419.99. As you can see there is very little in common to swap between the two.

T-motion x 169.00 bucks bolts right in , and try the ds 3 skis buy a complete set and sell if you don't like , but think you might, either way you could keep both to put on sled when you sell or sell them and recoup your cost. and yes soften the entire suspension if your on 3 got to 3 in fronts and soften the rear as well. try it!!
Where do I find the $169 kit?

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Any good links/videos "how to" go about changing this?

Has anyone designed a quick connect/disconnect -- non-rigid/rigid for the T-Motion arm?

It would be pretty straight forward. Loosen track, drop the rear of the skid, pull the 3-4 or however many bolts hold it on. Replace, reassemble.

Edited- Thanks damx

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Leave the skid in, just remove the back skid bolts and lift the tunnel.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
INTERESTING UPDATE!

The guy that bought my Gen5 Sled came back to me asking about the transfer of the extended warrenty I bought.
Says that the rear shock is 100% FLAT.
No Travel whatsoever.

Soooo..
There is a real possibility that I may have had a weak rear shock that entirely failed and I didn't even notice it.

Since then, I have heard identical reports from other brand new GEN 5 owners reporting the exact same thing.!

If that was in fact the case with my sled, that would ABSOLUTELY EXPLAIN why it felt SO PLANTED to the snow and was so hard to initiate rolling over onto an edge....

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
INTERESTING UPDATE!

The guy that bought my Gen5 Sled came back to me asking about the transfer of the extended warrenty I bought.
Says that the rear shock is 100% FLAT.
No Travel whatsoever.

Soooo..
There is a real possibility that I may have had a weak rear shock that entirely failed and I didn't even notice it.

Since then, I have heard identical reports from other brand new GEN 5 owners reporting the exact same thing.!

If that was in fact the case with my sled, that would ABSOLUTELY EXPLAIN why it felt SO PLANTED to the snow and was so hard to initiate rolling over onto an edge....
Could be the case… but you’re not the only one saying the expert feels planted.

Premium Features