• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Munster Finger Throttle - Thoughts after 200 Miles.

jetskier

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Love my Munster finger throttle, never going back! Old stand-up Jetski racer and we always used the finger throttle, I always felt I had better throttle control over the thumb.

J
Nov 8, 2020
I would think one finger on the throttle would be similar to one finger always on the brake in regards to grip. As long as I have three fingers gripping the grip and one on the brake I’m good. I have never tried a finger throttle but am temped from what most say about it being an improvement. Only negative would be heat issues. I have a Skins adjustable heated brake lever and it heats great (to hot with bare finger but great with gloves) so would think they could do the same with a finger throttle.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I would think one finger on the throttle would be similar to one finger always on the brake in regards to grip. As long as I have three fingers gripping the grip and one on the brake I’m good. I have never tried a finger throttle but am temped from what most say about it being an improvement. Only negative would be heat issues. I have a Skins adjustable heated brake lever and it heats great (to hot with bare finger but great with gloves) so would think they could do the same with a finger throttle.

Newer ones have a better heater.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I just installed a Munster throttle as well.

My background is in mountain biking and moto, I always have an index finger on each lever. On my sled, I struggle with the throttle hand grip, often feeling a little held back. I'll admit my lack in skill is largely to blame, but thought I'd try the Munster. It's felt very natural right from the start, no problems adjusting to throttling with the finger.

It hasn't been perfect though. It's quite tiring on the finger and puts a lot of additional strain through my forearm. I'm getting a decent amount of arm pump after an hour or so of riding. It has improved a little with each ride, hoping that trend will continue.

Also, no problem technically getting full throttle, but it's easy to catch the lever on your gloved middle finger preventing full throttle in the real world. Mounting the lever further inboard helps, but worsens the ergonomics and adds to the fatigue.

Jury's still out for me, but I'm hopeful. The added confidence when getting spirited is inspiring!

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Not sure what the comment is referring to when @Teth-Air says "Maybe it's just a young guy thing" and maybe he means “inexperienced????” I'm 38 years old so not sure if I'm a "Young Guy" or "Old Guy" or maybe I'm just in between but I've been sledding and dirtbiking/motocrossing since I was a kid. I'll give my feedback on the Munster Finger Throttle. When I first came across the finger throttle idea I thought "no way" and as you read so many mixed reviews it's tough to make a decision to simply try it out. I wonder if those who have "tried" it and didn't like it, have simply ridden someone else’s sled with it for a little bit and then said "not for me." If that's the case, then it makes total sense why they say that cause it definitely takes some time to get used to it. In fact, I believe that if finger throttles came as the standard then guys would say “not for me” after trying the thumb throttle. For those that have installed it and given it an honest try and still don’t like it… well, you figured out that it’s really not for you given the way that you ride, so that's good for you!!

The way I try to make a decision on whether I'm going to try something new/different or not is first read the reviews understanding that there's probably going to be positives and negatives and as long as there's enough positives then the only way to really know for sure if it's for me is to simply spend the money and give it an honest try..... meaning... install it and ride with it for more than just a couple of rides. That's what I did with the Munster Finger throttle 2 seasons ago. It did take me 2-3 rides to get totally used to it, but it was a progressive thing. In other words, it wasn't like from one moment to the next I was sold on it. Initially I could tell that the advantages where most likely going to outweigh the disadvantages but needed more time to see how it would go. Over the 2-3 rides I definitely moved towards knowing that I was willing to take on the disadvantages in order to have the advantages. After 2 seasons with it, it’s one of the first mods I'll do on any sled. Now when I get on one of my buddies sleds with the thumb throttle I can't wait to get back to my finger throttle.

The disadvantages (like others have said) are that your finger can get tired when you're first making the switch much the same way that your thumb gets tired in the first ride of the season cause you simply have to build those muscles up. Also, you're finger does get a little cold on really cold days but that's not that big of deal to me.

The biggest advantage for me and the reason I won't go back to the thumb throttle is improved control of the sled by being able to use my thumb and fully grip the bar. The other advantages like it doesn't build up snow etc. are great as well.

I agree with others that you should run with the throttle guard for obvious reasons

BUT... just like every other mod out there... there are no absolutes and what one guy prefers is not the same as the next. With this one, the only way to know for sure is to simply give it an honest try. At $225 (including the guard) it's really not that expensive given that I'm sure you can sell it if you really don't like it.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
When I say "young guys" I really meant all newer sledders that may not already be used to the thumb throttle and perfectly satisfied with it. Why fix something if it's not broken? I understand that if the thumb throttle is difficult to get used to or feels uncomfortable then go for it. I have had several customers tell me they ran it for a season and got rid of it. Tends to be a love it or hate it thing. I have also had customers tell me that they have had tree branches push past the guard and the sled went full throttle. This to me is a deal breaker. Again it depends on where and how you ride as to what your real risk is. Please trust me to say as manufacturer of the Phantom Teth-Air I do hear all the horror stories.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I agree with teth air.
When a person has been used to thumb throttles for 30+ years, getting on a sled with a finger throttle feels so sketchy, and unnatural. Yes I consider myself young compared to the vets of the industry.
Cons that I noticed, my index finger would get tired from working the throttle, image trying to pull that finger throttle with 3- 38mm round slide mikuni’s on the other end of the cable. The throttle leaver would get stuck under the glove material of the other finger, sometimes after WOT.
I also would have less mobility to rotate my grip on the bars, I would have to bend my wrist cause my finger in on top of the leaver, when I needed to get my body over the bars to transfer weight.
If I was doing lots of drops, and jumps where my grip needed to be rigid, than I think that would be the place for it, so thats the only pro I can think of.
For now I cannot get on board with the finger throttle fad

jetskier

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Stanwood, WA
When I say "young guys" I really meant all newer sledders that may not already be used to the thumb throttle and perfectly satisfied with it. Why fix something if it's not broken? I understand that if the thumb throttle is difficult to get used to or feels uncomfortable then go for it. I have had several customers tell me they ran it for a season and got rid of it. Tends to be a love it or hate it thing. I have also had customers tell me that they have had tree branches push past the guard and the sled went full throttle. This to me is a deal breaker. Again it depends on where and how you ride as to what your real risk is. Please trust me to say as manufacturer of the Phantom Teth-Air I do hear all the horror stories.
Haha, well I’ve been sledding since the early 80’s!

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I don't, but on a watercraft you often will need to hold 1/2 throttle. But I do need to hang on tight to my sled that I couldn't do with a finger throttle. Still baffled how guys say they can hang on better when the physics of riding tell me 4 fingers are stronger than 3 when it counts. I get you get to use your thumb but it helps me in the wrong direction. Just trying to understand how it works for some but wrong for others?
If you have ever lifted weights or have a barbell tape your thumb t your hand and do presses. Lift the bar over your head. Next un tape your thumb and stick your index finger straight out you will see you have much better grip when you use your thumb.
It’s okay if you don’t like them but I think better grip isn’t really debatable.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
If you have ever lifted weights or have a barbell tape your thumb t your hand and do presses. Lift the bar over your head. Next un tape your thumb and stick your index finger straight out you will see you have much better grip when you use your thumb.
It’s okay if you don’t like them but I think better grip isn’t really debatable.

Really??
Make a fist as hard as you can, than sick your index finger straight out,m while trying to maintain that grip.

There is a loss of grip strength.

Next make a fist again as hard as you can than stick your thumb out.

The strength is in your fingers for grasping, watch power lifters, they usually have there thumb on top of the bar.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I feel like I ran my finger throttle angled down enough that trees/branches were a non issue. I suppose chances of an issue are higher, but I never had any.

A very legit issue mentioned here that I had forgot about was that bulky gloves do not work well with the finger throttle, middle finger gets in the way. No real fix other than thinner gloves. Biggest drawback.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I agree with teth air.
When a person has been used to thumb throttles for 30+ years, getting on a sled with a finger throttle feels so sketchy, and unnatural. Yes I consider myself young compared to the vets of the industry.
Cons that I noticed, my index finger would get tired from working the throttle, image trying to pull that finger throttle with 3- 38mm round slide mikuni’s on the other end of the cable. The throttle leaver would get stuck under the glove material of the other finger, sometimes after WOT.
I also would have less mobility to rotate my grip on the bars, I would have to bend my wrist cause my finger in on top of the leaver, when I needed to get my body over the bars to transfer weight.
If I was doing lots of drops, and jumps where my grip needed to be rigid, than I think that would be the place for it, so thats the only pro I can think of.
For now I cannot get on board with the finger throttle fad

But it's cool!

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i have gone back and forth a couple times over the years. I always end up back running the finger throttle. it just feels more natural. It provides me with better wrist angles and is easier to throttle in tight right handed turns, maneuvers. It does take some getting used to.

There were some issues (cables breaking, heating elements, not getting full throttle), but with the new versions, I think they have been resolved.
I run the guard on mine. The only issue I have had is I did whiskey throttle one time, I could not let go of the throttle. I ended up bailing off the sled ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Once again haters got too hate! Don’t like it move on!
Actually this is a very good thread with actual experiences from both sides. If guys read this and contemplate the pros and cons before jumping right in, I think they will be way more informed to make the right decision for them. As I joked "It's cool" I do know there are a bunch of people that do things for the wrong reasons and may regret it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Once again haters got too hate! Don’t like it move on!

I dont hate it. Its not for me, at least tried it out and gave it a honest try. I cannot justify the time an money to add that part, when I believe that there are other areas on a sled that can be improved more effectively.

I posted my experiences with my riding style.

Now using the munster throttle as a thumb throttle thats a different story. I have jumped on pro rider sleds that use the munster throttle as a thumb throttle, and its a nice improvement over the stock throttle, but the heater is lacking and a cold digit is a issue again.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have installed mine, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I can see both sides of the story, but I don’t have a problem giving it a chance. I wonder why they don’t use a twist throttle like a dirt bike? Freeze up?

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I have installed mine, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I can see both sides of the story, but I don’t have a problem giving it a chance. I wonder why they don’t use a twist throttle like a dirt bike? Freeze up?
Bikes get rode different. As much jumping around as you do on a sled a twist would not work well. Plus I think you'd have way more whiskey throttle incidents.

Premium Features