• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finger throttle doubts

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I still use a Lefty. Go ahead, give me all kinds of ****. It just shows your ignorance. Some of us need them. Is it a crutch? Absolutely. It's the difference between riding and not riding. In California where I ride, we have Sierra Cement more than 90% of the time. You can count on one hand the number of powder days you'll get (and that's really more like one or two). The rest of the time is on very packed snow, where it's very hard to get a sled up on one ski.

I'm not a big guy.. 5'8, 175 lbs, 55 years old, and I have shorter-than-average arms. So when I need to sidehill to the left, I HAVE to have a Lefty. Without one, I will get yanked over the top of the sled and both of us will roll down the hill. With the Lefty and the mountain bar, it works very well. And I have NEVER grabbed the Lefty accidentally. And this new-age style of doing the opposite-foot-forward stuff looks like it's great in powder, but again, it's not gonna work real well when riding on the super-set snow.

Now.. finger throttle... I just ordered one last night. My wrists are also in bad shape and my right wrist was sore by the end of the day. But also, it seems to me the finger throttle will make it easier to sidehill/carve to the right and allow for better overall grip on the right handlebar. BUT.. .since I use a Lefty, I'm going to have to build an adapter to still use my Lefty. That'll be interesting.
Are you posting this for sympathy or do you just like to be abused and made fun of by others? Why don't you travel and go to clinic at Kesterke's or Burandt's so they can teach you how to ride a snowmobile properly?

Last edited:

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Wow... you must really be an expert at everything and have absolutely no problem tearing down somebody for posting something you disagree with. I guess I made the mistake of thinking this is a place where you can make posts and have genuine discussions. But nope, there have to be a-holes like you who are just waiting around to rip somebody. You belong on the Facebook groups with the other a-holes.

If you think you're so damn good, come down here and show us. Come ride on the Sierra Cement and make us sit back and watch you in awe.

Clearly I made a mistake giving money to this place for an account if I'm going to have to put up with people like you.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Wow... you must really be an expert at everything and have absolutely no problem tearing down somebody for posting something you disagree with. I guess I made the mistake of thinking this is a place where you can make posts and have genuine discussions. But nope, there have to be a-holes like you who are just waiting around to rip somebody. You belong on the Facebook groups with the other a-holes.

Clearly I made a mistake giving money to this place for an account if I'm going to have to put up with people like you.
You still didn't answer my question...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You said to go ahead and give you sh!t... So I did and you cried like a little baby... You said its very hard to get a sled up on 1 ski in packed snow. It's actually really easy to get a sled up on 1 ski on flat concrete with proper technique. You don't actually need a lefty to sidehill a sled on the left side. There are plenty of IG clips of some of these pro riders kids, way smaller than you, sidehilling a full sized sled on both sides with no lefty and not using a mountain bar. You said you use your mountain bar to sidehill so that tells us you don't know how to sidehill at all. I don't know if you noticed all these guys who remove their mountain bars but are still able to sidehill. I ride coastal snow just like you buddy. I can sidehill across an iced out hill both ways without a lefty. This has nothing to do with the size of the person or some gimmick contraption bolted onto my handlebars. I think you should go to a snowmobile clinic and learn proper technique so you can ride a snowmobile how its intended to be rode. I also highly suggest you start your next post with "I'm a little cream puff so please don't make fun because it will hurt my feelings..." instead of what you did.

C
Dec 14, 2020

If you think you're so damn good, come down here and show us. Come ride on the Sierra Cement and make us sit back and watch you in awe.

He is an expert.

He's also right.

I can pull my sled over no matter the snow. You have to counter-steer and go wrong foot forward to make it easy.

The deeper the snow the easier it is to do everything from neutral.

You're a tool who won't listen to anything constructive. You just came on here to cry like an idiot. That's not a very effective way to learn, but I hope your safe space has deep powder.

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
I would take anything this rob guy says and round file it. He openly stated in another post that he thinks the Sierra Nevada mountain range is not close to the ocean. But in fact the range's snow pack is primarily affected by the ocean. Due to the area where he rides in California I can vouch that it's an unpopulated rural area of the state where the education level is statistically low. This is evident by his immediate resort to foul language and musk comments.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal

Not to get side tracked, the snow in CA is typically better than the PNW if your willing to look for it due to the higher elevations and bigger terrain allowing for better shaded slopes. Defiantly both coastal snowpack's hence the terms sierra cement and cascade concrete. In the cascades the snow seems to set up after a few days of sun typically even if its fairly cold, but the sierras can get 2 or 3 weeks of sunny days since there are massive north facing slopes hiding the sunlight in the trees. Obviously temps affect this, but I find far better riding conditions in the sierras typically, I know I prefer riding the sierras when I can but getting there is a pain for me.

Holding edges on Ice going wrong foot forward isn't that difficult once you've done it a few times, all of us west coasters who ride often deal with ice just getting into the good terrain commonly. I like my mountain bar since I happens to have a good skill of high speed parking in tree wells or upside down . But if you rely on the mountain bar for riding and not just getting unstuck, its going to cause some serious negative impacts on your riding and its really not needed at all. The lefty throttle will likely be less useful as your technique improves. I saw a kid that was side hilling in crappy conditions this year without a problem, maybe 90lbs with his helmet on so proper form is more important than size.

Also just an FIY, letting Chadly get on your nerves is like getting mad at a fish for swimming, you'll never get any advice if you actually let it bother you and your not going to stop it. Sometimes if your willing to get mentally abused you can get some good info. Facebook seems to have a lot less info and a lot more opinion from the desk riders who put 100 miles on their sled a year.

Last edited:

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Back to the finger throttle topic...

I never thought i would want to try one, but this year i got to thinking it could be more comfortable due to the size of my hands. I have big hands (2xl-3xl gloves depending on the brand) and I pretty much completely wrap the bars with just my fingers. The pull motion on the bars doesn't bother me, but for the push motion, I'm actually pushing with the upper pads of my hand (at the base of my fingers), which has started to make my hand pretty sore some days. My left hand, with a finger on the brake, is wrapped around the bars better and has no issues ever.

In the past, I've run fat (ODI) grips to help get a better wrap on the bars, but the popularity of the finger throttle at least has me curious.

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008

You’re tripping man. Yeah it’s called Sierra cement but it’s heavy pow and thats not how it always is I’ve been riding sleds and living in Tahoe for well over twenty years if you think are snow is hard to ride in you must be out on the worst days possible. It’s either pow or corn neither are difficult to ride in only time it sucks is after a rain freeze or if we haven’t got snow for a bit after a warm then freeze. I know tiny girls that don’t need lefty throttles to side hill

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If he wants one, who cares. No need to thrash the guy. Same with the mountain bar. I used the mountain bar two skiing it out on narrow trail. Who cares. Are there better ways, yep. Tired and making sure i didn't slide over the bank. Finger throttle gives a better grip. If you don't want one or try one, who cares

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

It’s Snowest.

Chilly is the resident forum expert. For good reason. But let’s be honest: you did ask for it. I’m going to take a guess that you drive a short box 1 ton Dodge?

Chilly refuses to go to Tahoe for some reason? I tried talking him into going down there and chasing the deep dump last month, but he preferred to stay home and ride in the rain. I was willing to take vacay from work but he still refused. He said it was too far but I think he is still having a hard time with my requirement that he buys my fuel. He offered to go if I’d drive his ugly yellow truck down and he fly in but he confuses me with my requirements.

I’ll do better next year.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It’s Snowest.

Chilly is the resident forum expert. For good reason. But let’s be honest: you did ask for it. I’m going to take a guess that you drive a short box 1 ton Dodge?

Chilly refuses to go to Tahoe for some reason? I tried talking him into going down there and chasing the deep dump last month, but he preferred to stay home and ride in the rain. I was willing to take vacay from work but he still refused. He said it was too far but I think he is still having a hard time with my requirement that he buys my fuel. He offered to go if I’d drive his ugly yellow truck down and he fly in but he confuses me with my requirements.

I’ll do better next year.
Let's be honest here. I offered him my 155 9R. He said he will only ride a 165 Boost.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
If he wants one, who cares. No need to thrash the guy. Same with the mountain bar. I used the mountain bar two skiing it out on narrow trail. Who cares. Are there better ways, yep. Tired and making sure i didn't slide over the bank. Finger throttle gives a better grip. If you don't want one or try one, who cares
I would never take my mountain bar off. I get stuck 38 times a ride and the mountain bar is used all 38 times to get it out or flip the sled over.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I would never take my mountain bar off. I get stuck 38 times a ride and the mountain bar is used all 38 times to get it out or flip the sled over.
Plus it works well as a handle for a passenger when you're doubling. Since every sled is a ticking time bomb, it's only a matter of time before you may need it!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
A Munster throttle is a nice quality piece regardless. They actually work great flipped around as a thumb throttle, and they're smaller than the OEM throttle, and then you don't have to deal with the cable icing issues of the OEM throttle block in powder. Good little upgrade if you ride deep snow

Premium Features