• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finger throttle doubts

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
It may depend on your comfort level.

I grew up on bikes. I'd have a twist throttle if they didn't ice up so bad.

My first year riding sleds I went to the finger after riding a buddies sled. I would have sold the sled and moved on if I hadn't. My whole right side felt useless since I couldn't close my hand unless it was pinned.
Twist throttles icing up isn't much of an issue on my snowhawk, snowbike or plowing ATV, I wouldn't think sleds would be any different?

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
Well my tether was attached to the front of my jacket... Since I was flying through branches with my right hand pinned by the mount bar of the soft handguard, there is no way I was going to let go of the bars with my left hand. Great advice PDaddy, from now on the tether will be wrapped around my left hand

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My wrists are shot, so I bought a finger throttle for my 850 na. Installation was easy, initiation not so bad, need time to feather the throttle though while tree riding. Then on my third ride hit a stump, jerked my handlebars hard to the right, my hand got caught between the guard and the handlebars as I went flipping over. So I removed the guard, then put a soft handguard to prevent this from happening again. Last ride, as I was going through a very narrow opening in the trees, a tree hole made the sled tilt to the right hitting the tree pinning the handguard on my hand and...wide open throttle! The sled jumped wild for about 20 feet before I could free my hand and hit the kills witch. Could not reach the tether safety as I was hanging on for dear life. That's it for me. Going back to thumb throttle...
They say this will never happen. Until it happens. Glad you are okay.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I like the finger. Haven't had issues even bashing through the trees. I run the guard on mine.

I also don't run mine flat. It's angled down so that it's comfortable to reach when I'm standing.

I think the placement is key, and it's what most people get wrong.
The second thing people get wrong is they get scared and just flat squeeze it to the bar. You have to have the mental aspect of your riding dialed enough to remember not to do the panic whiskey throttle and be able to open your finger.

I've hit rocks and got tossed into the bars which pinned the thumb throttle and buried me. There's a way to get stupid no matter the setup.

I'm sticking with the Munster because it's more comfortable for me, I have several seasons with zero issues, and I get way less arm pump from having the stronger grip.
Yeah they need to be angled down pretty good. One of the biggest advantages to the finger throttle is the ability to comfortably have your wrist straight. You don't lift heavy chit with a bent wrist, why would you ride your sled that way? In order to have a straight wrist while standing you need the finger throttle angle around or even past a downward 45.

Not saying this would have prevents the OPs situation but I highly recommend wearing tethers around the wrist. You never have to mess with the clip. It never accidentally gets pulled if you have your body really far to one side or the other, and it's easier to pull in an odd situation where you are still on the sled but need it pulled.

C
Nov 29, 2008
It sounds good until a tree branch grabs your tether and tries to amputate your hand.

Burandt has a video where he ripped a tether in half and has one hell of a bruise where it tried to rip his hand off.
There's always a what if but having it around your wrist keeps it close at hand when needed ...only once so far have I had it catch in a tree enough to pull me back but have had more times when I was glad to have it within reach

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It sounds good until a tree branch grabs your tether and tries to amputate your hand.

Burandt has a video where he ripped a tether in half and has one hell of a bruise where it tried to rip his hand off.
I had one catch on a good sized willow, it pulled, snapped the cord and ejectoed the end into space. Never did find it. I wear gloves with the long cuffs, don’t remember it doing anything to my wrist but the cord did slap my leg pretty good.

C
Dec 14, 2020
There's always a what if but having it around your wrist keeps it close at hand when needed ...only once so far have I had it catch in a tree enough to pull me back but have had more times when I was glad to have it within reach

Guess that's why my sleds are insured. I'll just step off the damn thing and let the tether attached to my jacket kill it.

I would never think to pull on my tether before I pushed the big red off button next to my thumb...

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Waiting for Musk to perfect the neuro-link so don’t have to worry about tethers or what kinda throttle is best. Just bluetooth my sled into my head 😂

I think thumb or finger both have advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation and a guy can what if it to death. It comes down to personal preference I think and dealing with the good or bad in the particular circumstance. Something I have never seen mentioned but I learned quick was if you wear big bulky gloves on the ride out got to be careful you don’t catch your middle finger on the throttle.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Guess that's why my sleds are insured. I'll just step off the damn thing and let the tether attached to my jacket kill it.

I would never think to pull on my tether before I pushed the big red off button next to my thumb...
Guess you're either not overly aggressive or maybe you're super duper like Caleb ...

C
Dec 14, 2020
Guess you're either not overly aggressive or maybe you're super duper like Caleb ...

No, just that my jacket usually pulls my tether after I'm going the opposite way from my sled. I don't know why you'd pull the tether still on it.

I have been thankful I had one the times I contacted my track with my helmet.

C
Nov 29, 2008
No, just that my jacket usually pulls my tether after I'm going the opposite way from my sled. I don't know why you'd pull the tether still on it.

I have been thankful I had one the times I contacted my track with my helmet.
Ever been moustrapped or in a hole below your sled? Also when sled is nipped & you want to pop it out of the hole by yourself to reset the sled has a chance to pop ahead just that much further ....

C
Dec 14, 2020
Ever been moustrapped or in a hole below your sled? Also when sled is nipped & you want to pop it out of the hole by yourself to reset the sled has a chance to pop ahead just that much further ....

I don't mousetrap myself. I push away from the sled before that happens because I'm not trying to suffocate under a sled....

I dunno what a nipped sled is.
I do know that I always have the option to unhook the tether from my jacket...

You can sit and make arguments about how you want to do it. I'm just saying that if you really want it on for safety, hooked to your gear rather than wrapped around a body part is the route I'd go. I try not to wrap cords around body parts I like to keep.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I still use a Lefty. Go ahead, give me all kinds of ****. It just shows your ignorance. Some of us need them. Is it a crutch? Absolutely. It's the difference between riding and not riding. In California where I ride, we have Sierra Cement more than 90% of the time. You can count on one hand the number of powder days you'll get (and that's really more like one or two). The rest of the time is on very packed snow, where it's very hard to get a sled up on one ski.

I'm not a big guy.. 5'8, 175 lbs, 55 years old, and I have shorter-than-average arms. So when I need to sidehill to the left, I HAVE to have a Lefty. Without one, I will get yanked over the top of the sled and both of us will roll down the hill. With the Lefty and the mountain bar, it works very well. And I have NEVER grabbed the Lefty accidentally. And this new-age style of doing the opposite-foot-forward stuff looks like it's great in powder, but again, it's not gonna work real well when riding on the super-set snow.

Now.. finger throttle... I just ordered one last night. My wrists are also in bad shape and my right wrist was sore by the end of the day. But also, it seems to me the finger throttle will make it easier to sidehill/carve to the right and allow for better overall grip on the right handlebar. BUT.. .since I use a Lefty, I'm going to have to build an adapter to still use my Lefty. That'll be interesting.

Premium Features