• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Watch your fingers!

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
Bought a Munster finger throttle for my new sled since my thumb and wrist are shot from 50 yrs of riding. Installed the throttle and Guard tight. Went riding today in 4 ft+ pow, hit a solid stump, the handlebars twisted right real hard, as I flew over the bars, my index got stuck between the throttle lever and the guard, thought it was broken. Am I going back to thumb lever? No, not yet, but I'll loosen up the throttle block and guard as specified in the instructions. Was a hard hit...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Bought a Munster finger throttle for my new sled since my thumb and wrist are shot from 50 yrs of riding. Installed the throttle and Guard tight. Went riding today in 4 ft+ pow, hit a solid stump, the handlebars twisted right real hard, as I flew over the bars, my index got stuck between the throttle lever and the guard, thought it was broken. Am I going back to thumb lever? No, not yet, but I'll loosen up the throttle block and guard as specified in the instructions. Was a hard hit...
That sucks!!

Mobilized for 4 to 6 weeks, but you probably have the Shooter McGavin signature sign off........

Shooter.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Do you have it mounted pointed at a 45 (maybe past that) degree angle down? I like to line them up so you have straight arms and wrist when standing. Less likely to catch something the farther down its turned.

I like finger throttles alot… but the finger and wrist pain/tightness on those first few rides is keeping me from getting another.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
Happened to me but with my brake finger, when I got tossed breaking an A arm on a stump. My finger fell between my brake lever and handlebar (i always have my index finger on my brake) day 2/4 of our Seeley trip last year when they got that really big dump. Taped it up good and finished out the trip, got home and xrays showed signs of fracture and the lump on the side of my joint indicates potential tearing. It's fine now, but I just let go now if I hit something and tumble over the front of the sled. Worked when I bent an A arm 2 weeks ago, bruised my thigh and forearm on the bars but way better than trying to put a sideways 90 degree bend in my finger again. Also tilting them down helps but with the finger throttle the throttle is more exposed so keep that in mind.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I dont run the guard with my finger throttle, have ran a finger throttle for 35 yrs with no guard. Not saying things cant happen but ive also put my body into a thumb throttle

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
To run the finger throttle without a guard is downright scary if you ride trees at all. One tree branch pinning that throttle will be all it takes to change your mind.
Ive been running one for about 6-7 years now with no guard and i also ride tight trees never once have I had an issue with a branch. It’s all about technique when the trees get thick you use your middle finger to keep them away you do need to pay attention though because if you don’t it may get bad

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ive been running one for about 6-7 years now with no guard and i also ride tight trees never once have I had an issue with a branch. It’s all about technique when the trees get thick you use your middle finger to keep them away you do need to pay attention though because if you don’t it may get bad
When is your finger stronger than a 2" branch?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
To run the finger throttle without a guard is downright scary if you ride trees at all. One tree branch pinning that throttle will be all it takes to change your mind.
Exactly! Would never run W/O the guard! Not a tree rider? Sure, ditch the guard👍🏻

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
ride coastal low elevation trees all the time, bushier and tight than high elevation. like i said been runnin a finger throttle for 35 plus yrs. Its all in the lines you pic. To each their own, want a guard get a gaurd, dont want 1 dont get it

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have slammed my sled through the trees and had had to let go of bars so my hand didn't get mashed. Grabbed them after the tree and all was good. Actually one was my wife's sled and all wasn't good because I broke her side panel. She was pissed. Would've been bad with finger throttle and no gaurd.

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
Well, woke up this morning and my hand was swollen. Still not sure if it's broken. Removed the throttle guard, installed the soft Fusion handguards and loosened the throttle block. Snowing hard tonight, buddies waiting for me tomorrow morning to ride... We'll see

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Better picture
Looking good👍🏻 I’m really cold days I run the burandt gauntlets. Otherwise, I don’t like anything besides my munster guard. I should go check and see how tight they are because that’s a rule in motocross I used to race and everything those need to be loose, In case they get slammed they move.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
IMG_3555.jpeg
I’ll be honest, I really don’t like the way they look, but oh boy! On really cold days heading up and down the trail, they sure are nice.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I am hillclimber. Finger throttle no good for steep hillclimber like myself.

Premium Features