• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Munster Finger Throttle

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
for me, it is way more comfortable, especially when the bars are turned to the right. it take the "bind" out of my wrist.

on a trip 2 years ago, a buddy broke his thumb throttle on day one. no idea how it broke, but it was unrepairable. no dealers within a reasonable driving distance had one in stock.
none of us had an extra thumb throttle with us. however, 2 of us had an extra finger throttle.
our buddy was super reluctant to use it, but it was either use it and salvage the trip, or he was going to load up and go home.
he decided to give it a try. we swapped it with the sled on the deck.
the next day it took him all of 1/2 hour to get used to it.
he has never gone back to the thumb

C
Dec 14, 2020
I got mine in the mail today! I have a injury to my hand that makes my thumb stupid. Hope this helps. Iam a new rider so it shouldn’t be weird cause I suck anyway lol. The package comes with a sticker that says finger throttles can cause death. So that’s confidence inspiring lol!

Lawyers.
The whole damn thing could cause death, they just don't want to be sued because you whiskey throttled it up a tree and went over the cliff behind the tree.

I'm excited for mine to show up. I've been cussing a thumb throttle for years and couldn't figure out a twist throttle that wouldn't ice up constantly.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I’m currently not running one… but I love them. Better grip, and when positioned right you will have a straight wrist when riding- which is a big deal IMO.

Downfalls are it takes a little bit of getting used to. You’ll have a sore wrist and finger for a few days, and your finger tends to get cold faster than your thumb would.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Well turns out I won't have the chance this year to use the finger throttle. On Saturday I completely tore the long head of my bicep and it requires surgery. 4 months of rehab.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Well turns out I won't have the chance this year to use the finger throttle. On Saturday I completely tore the long head of my bicep and it requires surgery. 4 months of rehab.

Man, sorry to hear, that really sucks!

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I know it has a guard in front of the finger throttle, but does anyone ever have a stick poke in there when riding in the trees and pin the throttle?

I think it sounds interesting to try out

C
Dec 14, 2020
I know it has a guard in front of the finger throttle, but does anyone ever have a stick poke in there when riding in the trees and pin the throttle?

I think it sounds interesting to try out

Once your hand is in there, it would be hard.

If it does, it'll be gone in a few seconds anyways....

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I've never had a problem with trees with the guard. Even when the tree decides to swallow the sled and me.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I absolutely love my Munster finger throttle and yes, you need to run the guard. One thing I would say is don’t let anybody unfamiliar with a finger throttle jump on your sled, especially a beginner rider, because the pull back from the power pulls the throttle. Think whiskey throttle…

Scary stuff for sure. I had it on an old skidoo that I had and my wife was riding that one on a trip. I took it off intentionally because of this. Well, she hopped on a friends wife’s sled with a finger throttle and was fine for a little bit and hit a bump and the throttle was pinned back to the bars, and she had in her mind “thumb throttle”, and couldn’t mentally let go of the break in time and wiped out hard.

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Once you get used to it then going back to a thumb throttle is like riding with a handicap

one thing i wanna share is the heater .. by default it only runs when you have your grips on "high" .. you can change this to run on low by rewiring the harness .. I actually told munster to set them up on low because we rarely run high on our grip heaters.

I went one step further and used diodes to have mine run on both circuits ...

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Cool, can you show how to make them work on High?

The wiring harness has 3 leads

ground
low
high

Munster throttle has 2 wires, one goes to ground and one is wired for hi by default .. (or was anyway, couple years ago .. maybe he's wiring them for low now!!!)

you can't just splice low and high together as it will backfeed into your sled harness, so you can use diodes to stop the backflow of voltage, and then your finger throttle heater is active on both circuits

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
I absolutely love my Munster finger throttle and yes, you need to run the guard. One thing I would say is don’t let anybody unfamiliar with a finger throttle jump on your sled, especially a beginner rider, because the pull back from the power pulls the throttle. Think whiskey throttle…

Scary stuff for sure. I had it on an old skidoo that I had and my wife was riding that one on a trip. I took it off intentionally because of this. Well, she hopped on a friends wife’s sled with a finger throttle and was fine for a little bit and hit a bump and the throttle was pinned back to the bars, and she had in her mind “thumb throttle”, and couldn’t mentally let go of the break in time and wiped out hard.
I'm new, clutched 165 850 slash is my first sled, can confirm the whiskey throttle can happen due to pull back, granted I was exhausted at the end of the day and doing a big hero snow climb, couldn't let go and kept going for a little farther than I wanted. I dirtbike so the finger throttle has been amazing to me, but gotta stay aware and don't death grip and take a break if your throttle hand starts to get tired, can't rely on that finger for grip so gotta make sure your other 3 can deliver haha.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I have a Munster finger throttle and guard that I had on my old XM doo. I would sell, if your interested. Wasn’t the other one $150? I’m not sure what sleds this all works on, but it would be worth checking into. image.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features