• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finger throttle doubts

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
My wrists are shot, so I bought a finger throttle for my 850 na. Installation was easy, initiation not so bad, need time to feather the throttle though while tree riding. Then on my third ride hit a stump, jerked my handlebars hard to the right, my hand got caught between the guard and the handlebars as I went flipping over. So I removed the guard, then put a soft handguard to prevent this from happening again. Last ride, as I was going through a very narrow opening in the trees, a tree hole made the sled tilt to the right hitting the tree pinning the handguard on my hand and...wide open throttle! The sled jumped wild for about 20 feet before I could free my hand and hit the kills witch. Could not reach the tether safety as I was hanging on for dear life. That's it for me. Going back to thumb throttle...

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I like the finger throttle. I feel it gives me much better grip and control overall. Eliminates whiskey throttle in steep down hills, backing up or when trying to hold on to the bars for dear life.
There are situations like you described that can cause problems though. I don’t think it’s more or less dangerous than a thumb throttle just depends on the situation. No question it allows better grip on the bars though.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
prefer a finger throttle as well plus it allows the thumb which is the strongest digit, to grab the bar.
I can see some complications tho as the OP stated but I’m not a tree rider, more of a tree avoider except for that one time…
pros outweigh the cons for me.

P

pdaddyvr6

Mar 14, 2020
I think he's saying he was still on the sled, so the tether didn't disconnect.
My primary machine has the finger throttle, the backup/loaner does not. I think I have more bar grip with the finger throttle, but it’s not too big a difference. I can jump on either style and ride equally mediocre. Where is everyone hooking their tether to? I prefer wrapping it around my left wrist. It seem to be less bothersome, and it allows me to just jerk my hand back to kill it in most any emergency situation.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Finger throttle is one of those things that I never felt I needed. Have always felt I had control with my other four fingers and a thumb throttle. Much like a leftie and mountain bar, it is a crutch and many have learned to ride without using them.

Not knocking those who use them, just not buying that suddenly one has much more control over their sled once installed over a thumb throttle

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
it’s not a crutch, don’t see how that makes sense. just a preference thing.
Maybe, I just tend to lump "lefties, finger throttles & mountain bars" all in the same category. Often, when hearing finger throttle, I hear, " my thumb gets sore" or other hand related issues. When I hear lefties it's because someone can't hold a sidehill on their left side, etc. If it makes something "easier" and you rely on it, that's the definition of a crutch.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I like the finger. Haven't had issues even bashing through the trees. I run the guard on mine.

I also don't run mine flat. It's angled down so that it's comfortable to reach when I'm standing.

I think the placement is key, and it's what most people get wrong.
The second thing people get wrong is they get scared and just flat squeeze it to the bar. You have to have the mental aspect of your riding dialed enough to remember not to do the panic whiskey throttle and be able to open your finger.

I've hit rocks and got tossed into the bars which pinned the thumb throttle and buried me. There's a way to get stupid no matter the setup.

I'm sticking with the Munster because it's more comfortable for me, I have several seasons with zero issues, and I get way less arm pump from having the stronger grip.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Almost forgot, the best thing is you can't add a lefty throttle onto the Munster 🤣

First things I did to my first pro I bought used. Remove the goldfinger, and put decent led lights on since it had been headlight deleted.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
yep, still doesn’t meet the definition of a crutch. my riding sucks as bad as it ever did even after the addition of the “crutch”.
I like the finger. Haven't had issues even bashing through the trees. I run the guard on mine.

I also don't run mine flat. It's angled down so that it's comfortable to reach when I'm standing.

I think the placement is key, and it's what most people get wrong.
The second thing people get wrong is they get scared and just flat squeeze it to the bar. You have to have the mental aspect of your riding dialed enough to remember not to do the panic whiskey throttle and be able to open your finger.

I've hit rocks and got tossed into the bars which pinned the thumb throttle and buried me. There's a way to get stupid no matter the setup.

I'm sticking with the Munster because it's more comfortable for me, I have several seasons with zero issues, and I get way less arm pump from having the stronger grip.
i don’t use the Munster, just the factory throttle spun around with a large thumb screw where the factory set screw went so I can adjust but it’s pretty much angled way down as in a few degrees shy of being under the bar.

C
Dec 14, 2020
For myself, it was the worst money I have ever spent on a snowmobile mod.

It may depend on your comfort level.

I grew up on bikes. I'd have a twist throttle if they didn't ice up so bad.

My first year riding sleds I went to the finger after riding a buddies sled. I would have sold the sled and moved on if I hadn't. My whole right side felt useless since I couldn't close my hand unless it was pinned.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Switched to finger throttle this season and like it ...only issue when I sit (mostly never) as it's more uncomfortable than thumb in that case ...zero difficulty in getting used to it..felt pretty comfortable from the get go ...
Tether around left wrist so it's always at hand if needed.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Premium Features