• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Munster Finger Throttle

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
Based on some recommendations from this thread, I just spent 4 days with the new Munster finger throttle. It felt natural to me right away and was used to it within a couple hours. I love it and don't see myself going back to thumb throttle.

Being able to use my thumb and nearly a full grip at all times, it felt like I had better control of the sled in all scenarios ....especially going downhill and being on edge on the right side.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
one thing i wanna share is the heater .. by default it only runs when you have your grips on "high" .. you can change this to run on low by rewiring the harness .. I actually told munster to set them up on low because we rarely run high on our grip heaters.

I went one step further and used diodes to have mine run on both circuits ...

I agree.. this is the one minor "issue". My throttle finger is the first to get cold, not ideal to have to flip the grips to high just to get some finger heat going. I'm guessing this is a result of Munster developing first and foremost for his Skidoo, which only uses a 2 wire heater.

I did the same and ran a couple diodes last year to have it heat on both high and low. Worked well.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I have a question, I installed my finger throttle today and I just unplugged the throttle stop emergency switch . I ran the snowmobile and it worked fine but I wondered if I should have left that switch plugged in and just tapped it up under the dash? It’s a 21 artic cat hardcore? I dunno? Also the finger Warner wasn’t labeled so does that mean the switch is just backwards if I got it wrong or will it not work?

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ian all together newish (maybe 6 rides) I have a bad hand from an accident and so iam trying this throttle. I rode Sunday and it was hard on my wrist and I had a hard time turning full lock right and using throttle. I wonder if it’s in part cause if my bars and riser and angles ect. What angle are your bars and the throttle and about where do you put it in conjunction with grip? I googled and tried looking at PICT’s but can’t tell. Iam so bad at snowmobiling iam usually standing up wrestling the thing. Iam trying lol but wonder if my bars are wrong?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ian all together newish (maybe 6 rides) I have a bad hand from an accident and so iam trying this throttle. I rode Sunday and it was hard on my wrist and I had a hard time turning full lock right and using throttle. I wonder if it’s in part cause if my bars and riser and angles ect. What angle are your bars and the throttle and about where do you put it in conjunction with grip? I googled and tried looking at PICT’s but can’t tell. Iam so bad at snowmobiling iam usually standing up wrestling the thing. Iam trying lol but wonder if my bars are wrong?
Don’t forget that finger throttle fans are less than 1% of snowmobilers.

Your issue you describe is just one of the reasons why I removed my finger throttle.

It’s probably still free to try the thumb throttle……

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Don’t forget that finger throttle fans are less than 1% of snowmobilers.
And yet, most the guys I ride with use them! Glad the option exists. Also glad I don't have to use this.

It's not for me... when trying, I dislike the angle of my wrist and always feel like my grip is too close to the trigger to truly be comfortable. Maybe easier to move inward on the flatter doo or cheetah bars, but the angle of poo bars makes that impossible.

Plenty of novice folks have wrecked sleds from this accident waiting to happen... whiskey throttle and munster throttle result from a natural tendency to grip harder when feeling scared (gripped!)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
And yet, most the guys I ride with use them! Glad the option exists. Also glad I don't have to use this.

It's not for me... when trying, I dislike the angle of my wrist and always feel like my grip is too close to the trigger to truly be comfortable. Maybe easier to move inward on the flatter doo or cheetah bars, but the angle of poo bars makes that impossible.

Plenty of novice folks have wrecked sleds from this accident waiting to happen... whiskey throttle and munster throttle result from a natural tendency to grip harder when feeling scared (gripped!)
Yeah I’ve been around a few guys who talk about finger throttle and love finger throttles all the time. Good for them.

I had been riding sleds for 20 years with a thumb throttle before ever trying a finger throttle.

My muscle memory is well entrenched with using the 4 fingers against the ball of my hand to grip while leaving the thumb free and unencumbered to act independently no matter how the bars are turned or where my body English goes.

All seamless no matter if I’m riding a Cat, Doo, or poo.

Bars, riser, steering column none of it matters.

P
Dec 15, 2018
It’s a different for me cause I have a disabled hand. It was cut off when I was a kid and sewn back on but as you can imagine it’s not right anymore. My thumb will not rotate “oppose” so when I use it iam using the thumbs middle knuckle and my thumb is oriented flat due to its damage. It’s not horrible but I have no real sense of finesse. This is why I tried the finger throttle not to be cool. I may try moving throttle to left and break to the right. I thought about calling cfr and asking about bars but I don’t want to pretend that my problem is solely equipment? If I can’t dial the throttle then iam going to try a snowbike lol.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
It’s a different for me cause I have a disabled hand. It was cut off when I was a kid and sewn back on but as you can imagine it’s not right anymore. My thumb will not rotate “oppose” so when I use it iam using the thumbs middle knuckle and my thumb is oriented flat due to its damage. It’s not horrible but I have no real sense of finesse. This is why I tried the finger throttle not to be cool. I may try moving throttle to left and break to the right. I thought about calling cfr and asking about bars but I don’t want to pretend that my problem is solely equipment? If I can’t dial the throttle then iam going to try a snowbike lol.
That's the coolest thing about aftermarket tech and innovation... people with disabilities or limited motion can enjoy awesome things like sledding.

There may be lots of trial and error in getting things right for your personal setup. Don't give up yet.

The adaptive control setups for all things recreation are super cool. When people get to do rad activities because of technology, everyone wins.

P
Dec 15, 2018
So you guys wanna talk a bit about bars and their relationship to the throttle and break. I mean I see from cfr’s site the bends and how they can be different and how they aren’t much different? So for example looking down a common sweep back is 14• . So if my wrists felt pre -cocked back and tired I would like less ? Correct? Is there a reason (when your a good rider) that they are back like this as opposed to a straight bar. Just for reference on cfrs site the straightest bar was 12• so not much difference and I’ve yet to conceptionalize the other bends or their relationship to the throttle. I do agree it seems your grip when tight is to close to pull the throttle easily and my hand cramped pretty bad. Is this why the cfr bars are over sized? Would it help to add mass to the grip? Just curious what you guys who really can tell want to do

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
I have a variety of different handle bars you can try if you want. I can ship them to you and you can try them all and ship whatever you don't like back. I won't be home until the 7th though. If you are interested, shoot me a pm.
0665a9a3e0934c9402cb04aa8c6460fd.jpg
3ccb78710e1a8c719bbca56b5915f6df.jpg
992b2551344bc7b4a391b7ec5c6bd968.jpg
a2750e67993aa8df969f17edce7c6223.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Premium Features