• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Munster Finger Throttle - Thoughts after 200 Miles.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have installed mine, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I can see both sides of the story, but I don’t have a problem giving it a chance. I wonder why they don’t use a twist throttle like a dirt bike? Freeze up?
Yeah I feel like the pushing/pulling on the bars wouldnt work with a twist. But I suppose a guy does a fair amount of that on a bike as well.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I agree this is a great thread. Lots of real world pros and cons to help guys decide if they want to try it out or not. Listening/reading to only one persons opinion on it and then making a decision probably isn't the best way to decide.

One of these seasons I'm going to try a twist throttle. Theoretically it seems it won't be as effective as the flippers but I guess you just won't know until you try it. I'm thinking that maybe the throttle tube wouldn't get iced up since it's a relatively larger surface that is constantly turning/moving and if you put the hand warmer element on the throttle tube that should prevent it from icing up as well... maybe?!?! What I think you'd want to do is seal off the cable housing so no moisture could get into that part.

Someone should try it and report back:)

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
What I don't understand is how guys can hold on better with a finger throttle because hanging on is most critical on acceleration when your body weight is thrust rearward. I prefer 4 fingers to hold from ripping off the bars and I am not a heavy guy. Forward thrust of my body during braking or down hill is way less intense and is easily controlled with the palm of my hand. Maybe jumping or different riding styles is dictating the need to wrap your thumb around the bars? Or is it guys with really small hands that don't cover enough of the bar for a really good grip? Just makes no sense to me.
For me it's a grip thing. I have small hands and with a thumb throttle I'd sometimes lose my grip on hard hits. The finger also feels more natural too me. Downside is my hands get cold real fast and the finger throttle compounds that big time.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I agree this is a great thread. Lots of real world pros and cons to help guys decide if they want to try it out or not. Listening/reading to only one persons opinion on it and then making a decision probably isn't the best way to decide.

One of these seasons I'm going to try a twist throttle. Theoretically it seems it won't be as effective as the flippers but I guess you just won't know until you try it. I'm thinking that maybe the throttle tube wouldn't get iced up since it's a relatively larger surface that is constantly turning/moving and if you put the hand warmer element on the throttle tube that should prevent it from icing up as well... maybe?!?! What I think you'd want to do is seal off the cable housing so no moisture could get into that part.

Someone should try it and report back:)

Part of the reason a twisty works on dirtbikes is because you can grip the bike with your legs. Can't do that nearly as safely on a sled.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
The twist throttle has been tried a guy that tried it explained why it didn’t work and if I remember right I think counter steering was one of the reasons and the way you turn the bars so much on a snowmobile compared to a dirt bike I think all 4 wheelers use thumb throttles too

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
just some more info:
munster has redesigned both the 800 and 850 throttles. These changes address lack of full throttle and the angle of the cable pull.

My buddy replaced his on his 800 with the new design. sled is able to get full throttle and have the proper slack in the cable. the operation of the cable end in the lever is also smoother.

I was told for the 850 swapping to the redesign would really not make a difference. I debated about getting one just to try. I ended up biting the bullet and purchased the new design. Got it installed yesterday. I can say I have the exact same results as my buddy did on his 800.
Full throttle is reached, proper slack, cable action is smoother ??

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
just some more info:
munster has redesigned both the 800 and 850 throttles. These changes address lack of full throttle and the angle of the cable pull.

My buddy replaced his on his 800 with the new design. sled is able to get full throttle and have the proper slack in the cable. the operation of the cable end in the lever is also smoother.

I was told for the 850 swapping to the redesign would really not make a difference. I debated about getting one just to try. I ended up biting the bullet and purchased the new design. Got it installed yesterday. I can say I have the exact same results as my buddy did on his 800.
Full throttle is reached, proper slack, cable action is smoother ??
That’s good news.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Back in the day I lived in Wisconsin and I had a 97 XC 600 that I put a twist grip throttle on. On the trails it was the bomb but in my 1 or 2 trips each season to the mountains it was extremely difficult to have proper throttle control. Awkward hand and wrist angles on a sidehill. I entered an amateur hill cross and blasting up a hill with the added grip of the twist throttle was amazing for me.
I would never run a twist grip on a mountain sled again but if I ever take up trail riding again it will be on the list of first mods.

So with my experience with the twist throttle this finger throttle intrigues me.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Has anyone figured out how to keep it from icing up? I had an almost bad incident where my munster got stuck 3/4 open. Had to lock up the brake and kill it which was tough to get my hand off while breaking and trying to get the throttle unstuck as I was on a slow techy trail climb.

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Has anyone figured out how to keep it from icing up? I had an almost bad incident where my munster got stuck 3/4 open. Had to lock up the brake and kill it which was tough to get my hand off while breaking and trying to get the throttle unstuck as I was on a slow techy trail climb.
yeah, get in the habit of flipping the throttle open once or twice every single time before you start the sled up. Not a troll, because I've unsuspectingly started my sled and had it run on me too. I've gotten into the habit of just actuating the throttle 1-2 times every time before I fire it up. The longer you own it, the more you'll recognize which conditions lead to ice buildup but it's a good habit to have with the finger throttle.

I wondered about de-icer and lube but the advice my dad gave me (who builds truck cables at his work) is don't add **** inside of the housing because eventually it'll build up and fail.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
yeah, get in the habit of flipping the throttle open once or twice every single time before you start the sled up. Not a troll, because I've unsuspectingly started my sled and had it run on me too. I've gotten into the habit of just actuating the throttle 1-2 times every time before I fire it up. The longer you own it, the more you'll recognize which conditions lead to ice buildup but it's a good habit to have with the finger throttle.

I wondered about de-icer and lube but the advice my dad gave me (who builds truck cables at his work) is don't add **** inside of the housing because eventually it'll build up and fail.

I actually do this pretty consistently on snowy days like yesterday. I was flipping the thing for 30 sec before this incident happened. Needless to say it did not work.

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I actually do this pretty consistently on snowy days like yesterday. I was flipping the thing for 30 sec before this incident happened. Needless to say it did not work.
Well dang, that's about the extent of my help. I've had mine freeze up on me twice, typically after the sled sat for a few hours outside. Definitely the first thing I check before start up, but never had it happen during a break while riding if I'm flipping it.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Our Phantom Teth-Air will immediately shut down the motor if you start it and it takes off. No time delay on the start. Only after you start riding the preset delay kicks in. In case anyone is worried about losing their sled in this condition.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

There's something about the polaris cable and housing that makes it worse than other sleds. I've had them for years on cats with no issues, but every so often it will give me cruise control on the axys. But my buddies with thumb throttles on axys sleds have it happen the same days I do. Other than just check it when you stop, I guess you could spray some pam or some kind of really light oil on the cable housing where the cable enters.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
There's something about the polaris cable and housing that makes it worse than other sleds. I've had them for years on cats with no issues, but every so often it will give me cruise control on the axys. But my buddies with thumb throttles on axys sleds have it happen the same days I do. Other than just check it when you stop, I guess you could spray some pam or some kind of really light oil on the cable housing where the cable enters.
Lock de-icer SEEMED to work for me on a ride when I had been having issues.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Well after a few hundred miles on the finger throttle I really like it riding off trail. On the trail it kinda sucks, because of cold finger, and heaven forbid you use your middle finger and hit a bump. It does take a few rides to fully appreciate it.

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
I agree also. But, The heater in them is junk, froze my finger when it was around zero so i took it off. Any idea's on making it warmer?
If you leave it loose enough….you can spin it around to a thumb throttle to warm up your pointer finger. Then put it back when your finger warms up!?

Premium Features