• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha oil vent on air oil seperator

T
Dec 24, 2014
This is my first year riding a 4 stroke sled. I have two new vipers with the mpi turbo kit. Every single ride we are losing tons of oil out of the air oil separator vent when downhill sidehilling on the left side. I have rollover valves on order, but that would not help this particular situation because the sled is still running and the tether would not be pulled as I am still driving the sled. Does any one have any knowledge on this

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
everybody on here will deny there is an issue including yamaha!!! I lost 2 quarts in the first 200 miles, oil wouldn't even register on dip stick!! I had dealer switch out oil air separator and hook bleed off hose to nipple on charge tube helped a little but still using about half quart every 100 miles, and all the excess goes through turbo and smokes like hell and loses all horse power until it blows it all out... One of the reasons i bought this sled was i did not have to use oil and always heard they were better on belts. Im very disapointed with these 2 things other than that it has lots of power and toque forever and imo really needs a 3 inch in the deep the 2.6 digs to much

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
We run are oil level right at the bottom of the dipstick and don't have the problem anymore also run a little resivor tube/tank right at the turbo and you won't get the oil shooting out the turbo anymore.

Last edited:
T
Dec 24, 2014
I thought about putting the vent line back into the inlet but I was a little worried about putting that much oil into the turbo compressor side.

I would bet most of the companies will offer a 3" track next year seeing as how well skidoo has done with it this year. I think the weight also has quite a bit to do with the digging.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I checked my oil after my first ride and it was on the fill mark(cold),checked the book to see what oil to use. It recommends running the sled till the fan comes on than check the oil.
So I did that and when it's hot it was to the full mark.

Maybe you are just over filling?
Just a thought.

Tar

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Viper owners you may want to check the return oil hose off the oil separator. I do not know how it is designed but I know in the past on other Yamaha the return has been restricted down in size. Just a thought. I had a vector with a turbo years ago that had the same symptoms. I drained the oil separator return back into the mag cover via the timing hole and problem was gone.

Premium Features