• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo down so rented a 9R

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Finally getting some good snow in BC. I have 750km on my turbo and it decided it should drop a cylinder, no codes no engine lights. Going into the shop this week so will know what's wrong soon.

I didn't want to miss out on the recent snow so rented a 9R yesterday. The 9R was a 165 pro, I'm a 154 track guy but they didn't have one available. I would have also preferred a khaos model over the pro.

I'm an advanced rider, typically in the trees for most of the day. So was looking forward to trying the 9R and see what all the hype was about. Over the last few years I've owned 2 Polaris, 1 cat, and 2 turbo doos. Not brand loyal at all. I spent time on a Polaris boost last year too so have a pretty good idea of every new sled out there. I had a Gen 4 165 turbo ride with me yesterday so did lots of back and forth comparison.

Fit and finish: Matryx is the best Polaris has produced. I would say in line with the Gen 4 but Gen 5 takes it up a level. Matryx hood and panels are easier to take off and no tools required.

Engine:
9R is the best running sled from Polaris I've been on but not an etec. Started 3 pulls when cold, one pull all day. Etec one pull always. Fuel economy is similar, less oil with the 9R. The 9R is as advertised, very snappy immediate to full rpm. We lined up the Gen 4 and the 9R multiple times in varying terrain. 9R was always a half to full sled length in front of the Gen 4, which I found very impressive. In a long pull the Gen 4 would inch past eventually. Track speed was with in 5km/hr of each other on a climb, Gen 4 being higher. The Polaris gets up on the snow better than the Gen 4, always trenched less which made for a faster ground speed over the Gen 4. A Gen 5 easily would win if comparing to a 9R as it is noticeably faster than the Gen 4.

Handling:
Polaris vs Skidoo, both great but very different feel between them. A matryx is better then a Gen 4. The Gen 5 expert package has really closed the gap. My Gen 5 does have Slp Mohawk skis, elevate kit, and fox float QS3 which all are a big improvement over stock. I find my Gen 5 easier to initiate and just a hair less predictable on edge. Down hill descents are way nicer on the Gen 5, skidoos always been known for this. The matryx I could ride slower and in control more often. Combination of longer track and slower sled compared to my Gen 5. Crossing old tracks still favours the matryx chassis, almost zero feed back.

Ergonomics:
This is the biggest difference. Gen 5 I feel one with the sled and really like the forward laydown steering, I do run a lower bar set up from factory. The stock low bars on the 9R were too tall for me so most of the day I felt I was placed on top of the sled not one with the sled and in an aggressive position. I'd need lower bars and probably would run Turcottes laydown steering post. The stock 9R set up was hard on the shoulders and left me more tired at the end of the day. The matryx does steer a little heavier. I found I slipped on the matryx running boards multiple times, never have on the Gen 5. I don't like the hi/lo only option on the heated grip for the matryx either.

Storage: Matryx glove box is a lot better. Actually keeps the snow out and substantially larger. The 9R had the basic gauge but used a 7s before, hands down better than skidoos.

If I had one sled to choose it would be my current sled. Expert package 154 Turbo. It's on another level of fun and just a total weapon. That being said if I was running an NA sled I would go with the 9R, I'd even go with a 9R over a boost for preferred Polaris sled. A Khaos 155 9R would be a fun sled but the 180hp Turbo R is too good of a power plant with a very good chassis.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Finally getting some good snow in BC. I have 750km on my turbo and it decided it should drop a cylinder, no codes no engine lights. Going into the shop this week so will know what's wrong soon.

I didn't want to miss out on the recent snow so rented a 9R yesterday. The 9R was a 165 pro, I'm a 154 track guy but they didn't have one available. I would have also preferred a khaos model over the pro.

I'm an advanced rider, typically in the trees for most of the day. So was looking forward to trying the 9R and see what all the hype was about. Over the last few years I've owned 2 Polaris, 1 cat, and 2 turbo doos. Not brand loyal at all. I spent time on a Polaris boost last year too so have a pretty good idea of every new sled out there. I had a Gen 4 165 turbo ride with me yesterday so did lots of back and forth comparison.

Fit and finish: Matryx is the best Polaris has produced. I would say in line with the Gen 4 but Gen 5 takes it up a level. Matryx hood and panels are easier to take off and no tools required.

Engine:
9R is the best running sled from Polaris I've been on but not an etec. Started 3 pulls when cold, one pull all day. Etec one pull always. Fuel economy is similar, less oil with the 9R. The 9R is as advertised, very snappy immediate to full rpm. We lined up the Gen 4 and the 9R multiple times in varying terrain. 9R was always a half to full sled length in front of the Gen 4, which I found very impressive. In a long pull the Gen 4 would inch past eventually. Track speed was with in 5km/hr of each other on a climb, Gen 4 being higher. The Polaris gets up on the snow better than the Gen 4, always trenched less which made for a faster ground speed over the Gen 4. A Gen 5 easily would win if comparing to a 9R as it is noticeably faster than the Gen 4.

Handling:
Polaris vs Skidoo, both great but very different feel between them. A matryx is better then a Gen 4. The Gen 5 expert package has really closed the gap. My Gen 5 does have Slp Mohawk skis, elevate kit, and fox float QS3 which all are a big improvement over stock. I find my Gen 5 easier to initiate and just a hair less predictable on edge. Down hill descents are way nicer on the Gen 5, skidoos always been known for this. The matryx I could ride slower and in control more often. Combination of longer track and slower sled compared to my Gen 5. Crossing old tracks still favours the matryx chassis, almost zero feed back.

Ergonomics:
This is the biggest difference. Gen 5 I feel one with the sled and really like the forward laydown steering, I do run a lower bar set up from factory. The stock low bars on the 9R were too tall for me so most of the day I felt I was placed on top of the sled not one with the sled and in an aggressive position. I'd need lower bars and probably would run Turcottes laydown steering post. The stock 9R set up was hard on the shoulders and left me more tired at the end of the day. The matryx does steer a little heavier. I found I slipped on the matryx running boards multiple times, never have on the Gen 5. I don't like the hi/lo only option on the heated grip for the matryx either.

Storage: Matryx glove box is a lot better. Actually keeps the snow out and substantially larger. The 9R had the basic gauge but used a 7s before, hands down better than skidoos.

If I had one sled to choose it would be my current sled. Expert package 154 Turbo. It's on another level of fun and just a total weapon. That being said if I was running an NA sled I would go with the 9R, I'd even go with a 9R over a boost for preferred Polaris sled. A Khaos 155 9R would be a fun sled but the 180hp Turbo R is too good of a power plant with a very good chassis.
Thank you for what looks like an honest comparison. I am impressed that the N/A 9R was so close in comparison to both the Turbo G4 and G5 sleds. Sure you say your G5 is better but you are comparing N/A to turbo and not N/A to N/A. This makes the results even more impressive for the 9R. It is going to be nuts when Polaris turbos the 9R.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Rode with a pair of 9Rs all last weekend. They run strong, but everybody I rode with that was one kept saying "Its not a turbo sled" .... lol.

My issue with Polaris isn't the chassis .... its the motors. It typically takes them 8 years to get a new motor figured out. BRP/Rotax hasn't ever seemed to have that problem, and if last weekend on my Shredder is any indication of how the G5 chassis handles, I'm not going to regret the choice.

I will say - I'm continually amazed with how well the Matryx sleds get up on top of the snow and don't trench. That's been my one fear about this Shredder or any of the late-model Skidoo sleds for that matter ... but I think with some adjusting of the suspension, I'll be good to go :)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just picked up the red rocket today. My re shredder finally showed. Taking it out with my wife's 9r this weekend. Changing the clutching on 9r before we take it out. Lengthening limiter all the way out on shredder. Might even lose the swaybar. Skis are big. Not a huge fan of high engagement. Bars could be an inch lower. Sled looks good. Hope i like it. Most expensive sled i ever bought.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Thank you for what looks like an honest comparison. I am impressed that the N/A 9R was so close in comparison to both the Turbo G4 and G5 sleds. Sure you say your G5 is better but you are comparing N/A to turbo and not N/A to N/A. This makes the results even more impressive for the 9R. It is going to be nuts when Polaris turbos the 9R.
It was impressive to see how close a Gen 4 turbo and the 9R really are, Gen 5 not so much. Polaris really has a nice sled that gets up on the snow so well.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Rode with a pair of 9Rs all last weekend. They run strong, but everybody I rode with that was one kept saying "Its not a turbo sled" .... lol.

My issue with Polaris isn't the chassis .... its the motors. It typically takes them 8 years to get a new motor figured out. BRP/Rotax hasn't ever seemed to have that problem, and if last weekend on my Shredder is any indication of how the G5 chassis handles, I'm not going to regret the choice.

I will say - I'm continually amazed with how well the Matryx sleds get up on top of the snow and don't trench. That's been my one fear about this Shredder or any of the late-model Skidoo sleds for that matter ... but I think with some adjusting of the suspension, I'll be good to go :)
A 9R is for sure not a Gen 5 turbo. The fun factor is very high on theses new doos. Few mods like spindles, skis, and shocks make for a great package. I'm running no sway bar either and it's effortless to ride.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Riding 6000-6500ft. The Gen4 turbo does have more track speed and would eventually pass the 9R. The 9R is instant response, gets on top of the snow better, and is going to be around 50lbs lighter. Gen 5 turbo is top dog in power, lots of boost vs Gen 5 videos out now and the boost losses easily.

J
Jul 20, 2008
Just picked up the red rocket today. My re shredder finally showed. Taking it out with my wife's 9r this weekend. Changing the clutching on 9r before we take it out. Lengthening limiter all the way out on shredder. Might even lose the swaybar. Skis are big. Not a huge fan of high engagement. Bars could be an inch lower. Sled looks good. Hope i like it. Most expensive sled i ever bought.
Off this guys topic but I’ve rode my re 154 turb 3 days. First day stock fought it in good snow all day trying to get on edge. Day two loosened clickers, still fought it. Day three skinny up ski stance, pulled sway bar, kept clickers soft front and rear and it was way easier to get on edge. Brothers gen 5 turb quite a bit more playful with that skid and front end, so going to try moving skid a hole to get more ski lift. Motor is great. Be interested to hear how your impressions of it

D
Dec 22, 2018

If you want to make your Lynx carve easier and lighter steering, this is the way we have been cutting DS+ skis for years. Works great and I can recommend for anybody who feels skis float too much and takes too much effort to get the sled on the edge.

Blade_ds_plus_cut.jpg

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you want to make your Lynx carve easier and lighter steering, this is the way we have been cutting DS+ skis for years. Works great and I can recommend for anybody who feels skis float too much and takes too much effort to get the sled on the edge.

View attachment 399156
Not cutting them. Probably changing them to either slydog or mohawks. How much did you cut off each side?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Off this guys topic but I’ve rode my re 154 turb 3 days. First day stock fought it in good snow all day trying to get on edge. Day two loosened clickers, still fought it. Day three skinny up ski stance, pulled sway bar, kept clickers soft front and rear and it was way easier to get on edge. Brothers gen 5 turb quite a bit more playful with that skid and front end, so going to try moving skid a hole to get more ski lift. Motor is great. Be interested to hear how your impressions of it
I always put skis in narrow position. I always keep limiter strap as long as they go. I like swaybar out because it gets rid of feedback through the bars and doo is famous for jerking bars out your hand. You can put 34 on but resi shocks have to go.

straightup

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Rigby Idaho
Go with sly dog attack!! Have two lynx shredders one with stock and one with sly dog. Night and day difference for 5 people that rode both sleds! All preferred slydog ! Easier to steer and handle

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Go with sly dog attack!! Have two lynx shredders one with stock and one with sly dog. Night and day difference for 5 people that rode both sleds! All preferred slydog ! Easier to steer and handle
I think lynx skis are going. Heavy steering when slow. Fine at speed. They also make it harder to get on edge i think. Feels 100 pounds heavier than my kaos 9r 155. Dropping limiter to 1. Like the sled but more of a workout. Motor is awesome. Aren't the slydogs 7 inch. Ran mohawks but not slydogs.

Trolltech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2008
I think lynx skis are going. Heavy steering when slow. Fine at speed. They also make it harder to get on edge i think. Feels 100 pounds heavier than my kaos 9r 155. Dropping limiter to 1. Like the sled but more of a workout. Motor is awesome. Aren't the slydogs 7 inch. Ran mohawks but not slydogs.
I tested khaos boost 155 and my lynx shredder 3700 turbo is 10x better to ride with. Nervous steering and hard to steer and turbolag to the moon the laris. I gonna cut my ds+ down a little so it will be easier to lay over. If I changed skis, it would be to powder pros.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Just spent 2 days back on the Gen 5 after being in the shop. After spending Monday on the 9R and Friday-Saturday on the Gen 5 I don’t see any reason to own any other sled. Skidoo has the best sled for me and really has the best sled on the market. I’m hoping we see a bigger bore sled from skidoo and they focus on shedding some weight from this chassis.

Premium Features