• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spark plugs

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
The P-22 problems appear to be the #1 issue with either boost or 9R.

Plug replacing is a nuisance. Clutch detonating is a ruined day.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I've been razzing my wife that she needs a credit card with her, at all times, when riding her 9r. Just opened my mouth and was sticking up for reliability of these new sleds. I said i hadn't been on a rope in years. Well my lynx just came out on a rope. Shoved a rock right through my front heat exchanger. Guess I'll shut my mouth from now on.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
The spark plug issue is unacceptable! All the E-tec sleds I have owned NEVER had plug issues and neither have our pre-2022 850/800 RMKs.

When picking up the 9R I now know why Mile High Powersports sold me a set of plugs along with ski rubbers and a belt.

At least the plugs are easy to get to…LOL

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
the rock in the exchanger many of us have done on all brands. karma just kicked yer azz. sorry for you

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Im having some spark plug issues on a ‘22 850na.
They are loosening up. The first time I thought from not proper torquing. Second time they were torqued properly. Those loosened also in 1 ride, not completely but definitely could tell with the wrench. A second ride without a check i bet they would have worked their way out even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C
Dec 14, 2020
Exactly what I was thinking. Had an AC 800 that I pulled over soon as something didn’t feel right. pull the cap on one plug and oil ram down. Cracked the plug and was shooting gas/oil mix up. Found out it was detonation.

Gotta be careful filling up. Never know what you get in the first 1 1/2-3 gallons of fuel anymore due you get what’s in the hose from the last fill up. E85? Etc. After that detonation I always full up the truck first (91 oct clear gas) then pull forward and fill up sleds/fuel cans wit that same pump. Never experienced plug detonation issues again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E85 is generally 105-108 octane. Certainly not going to hurt on that side.

The ethanol tune is for 87 or 89.

It's a widespread myth that ethanol causes detonation. Only in the sled industry. Every other form of motorsport has realized it's just octane booster that requires extra fuel to account for the lower energy density. Detonation can be caused by the lean condition just as much as a lack of octane.

I support the filling the truck first though. I try and only go to the stations where ethanol free 91 is on a separate handle and hose. I do the same on a mixed pump though, fill the truck first and then the sled.

The biggest reason to avoid ethanol is the corrosion it causes by being hydroscopic. That is the killer.

Of course, it's all a moot point when the gas station gets their tanks filled with the wrong fuel (which does happen, especially when everything is covered in ice and the trucker just wants to dump and run while he can't read the covers).

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
For you guys in the USA, it became law in Canada as of December 1st/22 that all grades of fuel had to have ethanol OR the oil companies could use up carbon credits and still supply non-ethanol until they were ready to supply with ethanol. Most guys I know don't bother testing their fuel and just continue to run in Non-ethanol mode. This would cause a lean condition and could be part of the problem.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
the rock in the exchanger many of us have done on all brands. karma just kicked yer azz. sorry for you
This was on a really steep hill that i spun it on its taill between 2 trees. Wasn't sure there was enough room but only option to not get stuck. It landed on it's side. Was shaking it down the hill. Lynx just digs down to china. Buddy pulling on ski and just keeps digging. Was trying to get it down to trail before all my antifreeze ran out. Lynx thing

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Detonation will loosen plugs

Is there anything else that can cause det besides fuel? I always run 91 non ethenol. Aftermarket silencer? I went and looked and found the setting was ethenol-premium.
I noticed it sounded more muffled leaving the truck last ride. Then as the day progressed it sounded less and less muffled and eventually like I I had a loose plug.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
It’s detonation, plain and simple. The mapping on these engines is not very good.. it’s been happening for years. My ‘17 axys would eat plugs r

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
It’s detonation, plain and simple. The mapping on these engines is not very good.. it’s been happening for years. My ‘17 axys would eat plugs r

Good fuel does help, but as others have mentioned. Ethanol is in all fuel now, even our beloved chevron 94 in Canada now (starting in 2023) has up to 10% in it which is garbage.

I’ve switched to 100LL and aftermarket tunes on the boost for just this reason

d79bba3d633b53e603196da33661adf8.jpg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Is there anything else that can cause det besides fuel? I always run 91 non ethenol. Aftermarket silencer? I went and looked and found the setting was ethenol-premium.
I noticed it sounded more muffled leaving the truck last ride. Then as the day progressed it sounded less and less muffled and eventually like I I had a loose plug.

Running lean, high compression or poor fuel. If your can flows better than stock it will run lean.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In the latest Muskoka video, his 9r broke like 6 spark plugs in the course of 2 days of riding. Guys, that's f'ing ridiculous!
And he will keep breaking them until either he changes something or it spits out a piston ring locator pin and the ring spins and catches the port. I am surprized this has not happened already.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Changes something? The sled is brand new. Not all of us are sled gurus, we want to put in fuel and oil and ride. I'm all for maintaining my machine but how/what is he suppose to know or do?
I agree with you that it should be gas/oil and go, but It isn't and running it like that is killing the motor. It is detonating and needs a new flash from Polaris, heavier clutching or better fuel. I would be running in the ethanol mode until it gets sorted. I come from the time when if you rode you had to know this stuff. Sleds needed jetting, clutching etc.

Premium Features