• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Melted stator plug

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
I've seen other posts regarding melted stator plugs. Is it possible for a faulty voltage regulator to cause this to melt? I have seen others say simply bad connecting/arching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
In my findings it seems to be connection and arching. There is a few axys left in our group, and mine is the only one with plug melting. Last time i pulled my engine, I had to destroy the plug to get them split apart.
I have now removed plug and soldered all wiring. The other axys' ( 2016 - 2017's) I have worked on all have plugs that look next to new.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
In my findings it seems to be connection and arching. There is a few axys left in our group, and mine is the only one with plug melting. Last time i pulled my engine, I had to destroy the plug to get them split apart.
I have now removed plug and soldered all wiring. The other axys' ( 2016 - 2017's) I have worked on all have plugs that look next to new.

Yea, my 16 axys melted the stator plug wire as well, but I lost my headlights head warmers. My 19 I just discovered melting. Cut it out and wired to together. Waiting for 4 wire weather pack connector to arrive to pin the wires and put in plugs

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I recall seeing someone on this site (TRS maybe) utilizing a different plug, but after some use on the machine the issue still persisted.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Is that the same plug as a Pro? A plain, six-pole plug with a couple empty holes? Mine was baking the plastic, so I spliced new connectors on it and pushed them together through one of the empty plugs. It looks fine so far, but I'm wondering if it's just a matter of time before corrosion gets to it; I'd be curious if a weather-tight plug would eliminate the problem entirely.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I had that happen years ago on my 2016 Axys and did a compressive write up on it. The voltage regulator ended up being the culprit. IMHO
I changed to the weatherpak sealed connections and still melted them/then re-did those again and changed the stator, and still had melting issues.....So I soldered the connections and changed the VR and no issues since.
So take it FWIW -
I omed out the stator prior to replacement on the 1st go-round-and was well within spec's

Last edited:

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
I had that happen years ago on my 2016 Axys and did a compressive write up on it. The voltage regulator ended up being the culprit. IMHO
I changed to the weatherpak sealed connections and still melted them/then re-did those again and changed the stator, and still had melting issues.....So I soldered the connections and changed the VR and no issues since.
So take it FWIW -
I omed out the stator prior to replacement on the 1st go-round-and was well within spec's

Interesting! Someone else suggested to me the VR being the culprit on this. And that it can cause some run-ability issues potentially since sensors and stuff are based off the 5v. I think I'm going to replace the VR and put the same weather pack 4 pin plug in

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Interesting! Someone else suggested to me the VR being the culprit on this. And that it can cause some run-ability issues potentially since sensors and stuff are based off the 5v. I think I'm going to replace the VR and put the same weather pack 4 pin plug in

That's the most economical route to go.. I would for sure ohm out the stator I have had to change a few of those out also.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Just replaced the white plug on my 16 - no lights or warmers ...was melted so I spliced together for short term fix ...still no lights / warmers ...checked wire on regulator and it was pooched too ...cleaned it up for now and everything working ...
Will replace both with sealed plugs ....
****ty poo electrical ... likely save $10 on a sled by using cheapest unsealed connections ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Premium Features