• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spark plugs

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
In the latest Muskoka video, his 9r broke like 6 spark plugs in the course of 2 days of riding. Guys, that's f'ing ridiculous!
I only saw 2 plugs blown for the 2 rides he posted, but could be wrong.
One thing i noticed was that he was riding in super deep powder, and getting a pretty good bog when his vents were covered in snow.
Then shortly after that, the plugs failed.
Makes me wonder if the lack of venting contributed to the issue somehow.
Probably just coincidental, but food for thought . .

But ya . . . not good at all to keep riding it until he figures out what is causing this!

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I was thinking of Snowchecking a 9R. All of these broken clutches & plugs from detonation are a major bummer. If I owned one I would definitely mix a little race fuel in it . The next problem will be the piston ring locator pins falling out. Hopefully a new map can fix it if there's a lean spot.
Ugh, I just had that happen on my wife's 2018 Ayxs 800 (locator pin falling out ). $2,750 later .... :mad:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
One thing i noticed was that he was riding in super deep powder, and getting a pretty good bog when his vents were covered in snow.

But ya . . . not good at all to keep riding it until he figures out what is causing this!
I experienced this today. I’m just south of Revy, snow is insane right now. I had a really bad bog with my boost in the deep snow then popped a spark plug shortly afterwards. Might be a connection. I was more diligent whipping my vents and was good for the rest of the day.

K

Muskoka posted in the comments that he had been though 5 plugs on the 9r as of last week, could be more now

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Muskoka posted in the comments that he had been though 5 plugs on the 9r as of last week, could be more now
Last ride he did not break a plug with 94 octane fuel from Chevron. He did have a bog but it appeared to clear as he wiped the vents. Are any of you guys that ride above 6000 ft breaking plugs on the 9R?

west dreams

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2009
Becker, Mn.
I have just over 300 miles on my 9R all between 8,500- 10,000' elevation and have had no issues, no plug failures, no p-22 failures, no bog issues, no track issues, no 7S gauge issues. the only thing is the throttle block has to go, it does ice up quickly in deep powder, probably put a TKI one on. So far its been a great sled, time will tell I guess.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have just over 300 miles on my 9R all between 8,500- 10,000' elevation and have had no issues, no plug failures, no p-22 failures, no bog issues, no track issues, no 7S gauge issues. the only thing is the throttle block has to go, it does ice up quickly in deep powder, probably put a TKI one on. So far its been a great sled, time will tell I guess.
No way. This is not possible. The forum will not believe these lies!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In break in it will run more rich so your experience is not as much value to determine if the map is too lean.

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
E85 is generally 105-108 octane. Certainly not going to hurt on that side.

The ethanol tune is for 87 or 89.

It's a widespread myth that ethanol causes detonation. Only in the sled industry. Every other form of motorsport has realized it's just octane booster that requires extra fuel to account for the lower energy density. Detonation can be caused by the lean condition just as much as a lack of octane.

I support the filling the truck first though. I try and only go to the stations where ethanol free 91 is on a separate handle and hose. I do the same on a mixed pump though, fill the truck first and then the sled.

The biggest reason to avoid ethanol is the corrosion it causes by being hydroscopic. That is the killer.

Of course, it's all a moot point when the gas station gets their tanks filled with the wrong fuel (which does happen, especially when everything is covered in ice and the trucker just wants to dump and run while he can't read the covers).
Not saying the person driving the fuel truck doesn’t make mistakes or have a bad day sometimes but if you think a driver routinely dumps the wrong fuel in the wrong tank and gets away with it without consequence from the customer/station or their boss, you are very sadly mistaken. It’s a big deal trust me.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not saying the person driving the fuel truck doesn’t make mistakes or have a bad day sometimes but if you think a driver routinely dumps the wrong fuel in the wrong tank and gets away with it without consequence from the customer/station or their boss, you are very sadly mistaken. It’s a big deal trust me.
Our local guy has put gas in the diesel 3 times over the last 10 or so year. No idea how he still has a job.

Premium Features