• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2006 Switchback 900 questions

H
Nov 11, 2009
hi all, i just registered after doing reseach about the 06 switchback that i am supposed to go purchase tomorrow and found you guys to have some great knowledge on these sleds. i have don the main research and was just looking for anyones in put for plan of purchase. I am going to purchase the sled brand new for $6925 out the door all said and done with tax, regristration and everything. so first i was wondering what your guys thoughts are on the price i am paying for the sled? the recalls have been done on the sled. but i have been reading and doing research on all the updates that need to be done for the sled to run like it should. so my plan is to go in their tomorrow to see if the dealer will do the main updates that are basically a must and see if it can be configured in the price, as i would think that it would be charged under warranty for the dealer anyhow so they would get costs remberced. the updates that i thought were the must were the
motor mounts
clutch alignment
clutch kit
tps setting
new airbox
hot air elimentator
torque arms
maybe the factory oil cable

this is a list that i thought would be a must neverless the other luxary updates would be nice.

any thoughts would be great as well as what suggestions anyone may have for all updates about for the aftermarket part brands would be best for them.

i live in michigan and am purchasing the sled in michigan and will most likely be mostly riding on trail and some offtrail in the u.p. the seld has a 144" track and 1.25" lugs. any advise if this would be an ideal track for trail and some off trail riding.

i also breifly asked the mechanic at the shop where the sled is about some updates and i was told that none of these updates really need to be done and that most of these probelms occur if you are bringing the sled to a different altitude or elevation and i will not run into any of these problems if i keep the sled here in michigan because there is really no elevation change. i thought this was a bunch of b.s. any thoughts on this would be great.

any advise that you guys have would be awesome as i am going tomoorw to finalize the sale.

thanks

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
$6925.00 I believe is top dollar.

All updates need to be done as part of the deal. If you search here all the updates are listed somewhere.
When you pick up the sled take it to another service department and have them run the V.I.N.. The report should tell you if all the updates are done.

Personally, I would not let that mechanic touch the sled after he said the updates don't need to be done. He knows nothing about the sled.

Last edited:
B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
too much $$$ in my opinion probably closer to 5800-6000 and yes have it checked at another dealer and don't let that mechanic work on it.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Hockey..

thats quite a bit of money for that old of a sled..regardless if it is used or not..i personally would spend near the same amount of money you are now and get maybe an 07 RMK 700, or an 800 RMK...

dont be afraid to buy used as long as the owner knows what he is talking about, or you have someone who does know about them go with you and check it..

if it were significally lower in price..i would go for it..but not for that much and the amount you will need to spend to make it the way it already should have been..

IMHO

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I going to respectfully disagree with everyones arguments. $6,295 for a brand new 900 with a WARRANTY??? Sure you could find one for $3-$4K but what's it going to cost you if the crank goes out next week or month? Stators?

You could buy that sled, add a bumper, some venting, a clutch kit, a can, SLP push arm and torque arm and have a sled that for half the money of a new 800 will take out 95 % of the sleds sold for $10-12K plus.

Those $4,000 900's out there when you dig deep aren't of the quality that the diehard 900 owners here on snowest own. Alot of them when you go look, they are POS's. Last year I purchased a $5,000 900 looked it over very well I had thought and after buying it, had to spend about $3,000 to make it mountain rideable and this did not include touching the internals of the motor. Of course it ended up ripping but I always rode with a little fear of a crank or stator letting go in the back country.

I'd have no problem buying a new 900 with a warranty for that price.

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
well dave you bring up a good point..

if there does happen to be a cranks issue...you will luck out and get the updated 32mm crank and a whatnot..

so i suppose that wouldnt be too bad..considering you would be paying $1000 for that crank anyways..plus cases probably, and free labor..and warranty..didnt think of that..

point taken...

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
You have to remember he lives in Michigan, I live next door in Wisconsin, we don't get 6 months of winter! LOL.

I think that price is too much, here is why. My buddy bought his 05 900 RMK 151 in the fall of 05, from a northern Wi dealer, for 6500. That included tax and registration. The sled had 600 miles on it, and all updates and recalls had been done. And came with a 1 year warranty. Now the sled has 3300 miles on it, and he has had some issues with it, getting ready to put new pistons and rings, and one cylinder in it, but he has had no crank issues.

Another vote for not letting that mechanic touch it!

H
Nov 11, 2009
so i ended up picking up the sled yesterday for $6419.00 plus taxes and registration for $6925 out the door. I was told and explain that both recalls were done and they were but then I talked to the manager and all mechanics there and they explained all things had had concerns about that I listed above and they said basically after all said and done talking with them that the stock way it is now no updates need to be done. the sled is brand new with zero miles and i have a one year warranty. any suggestions or opinions would be great. i was thinking of buying the extended 3 year warranty because i still have a feeling that the stuff i asked about will go wrong and its just a matter of time. i bought the sled in michigan and will only be riding it in michigan so there will be no altitude change. the sled is as above a 900 switchback with 144" track and 1.25" lugs. i plan to ride about 65% trail and 35% of trail in mild deep snow. any opinions would be great.

thanks everyone

J
Jan 20, 2009
Iowa
In my humble opinion, if it were me, I probably be keeping this sled for a long time, as the resale value is roughly half of what you paid. I just don't think i could sell my 2 year old sled for half of what I paid, problems or no problems. I would definately get the extended warranty.

Just curious, how many miles do you put on in a year?

H
Nov 11, 2009
this year i plan on putting more than normal, as i was limited on what i could up til now. i graduated high school last year and am now in my first year of college. where in highschool the longest brake you got was around xmas and that was about a week where now in college i get basically from december 20th until janurary 20th or so. so a lot longer of a brake for more sledding time. but in a good season about 300-400 miles, not much due to highschool. i hope to get about 500 or more this year. i sold my dads sled to get this one and gave him my 2003 500 xcsp that i bought when i was 13 for my first brand new sled and that sled only has about 1250 on it in 5 years. just to give you an idea. i sure wish we had more snow in the lower part of michigan where i live but the season is limited to about 2 1/2 good months of winter and there not much places to ride down here. so basically all the miles are put on in the u.p.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Take the VIN to another dealer. I know there were more than 2 updates "recalls" on that sled, most of the updates have nothing to do with altitude.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
^^DITTO..

seems to me that the dealer you got it from have NO idea what they are doing..

ecspecially that moron mechanic...

take it somewhere else for for the updates..most if not all of them are free!! and there is DEFINATELY more then 2..even on the 06s...

good luck

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
06 updates

There were actually only 3 updates I remember on my 06 900. The chain case metal bar to prevent the cover from warping, the tank neck was re-inforced to prevent it from cracking, then the entire fuel tank was replaced.

I debated on buying the 3 yr warranty and decided not to. I think it was a gamble but my engine made the 3 yrs and by the looks of it when I tore it down this summer it would of gone a lot longer. I replaced my top end and while I was that far into it I decided to go with the updated crank kit. Since I did everything myself It was'nt to costly.

It's a brand new 152hp sled for 6500 (not bad) just keep it and get your use out of it.

Keep ontop of the things that need attention and you will enjoy your 900.

Throttle body boots replace w/updated part# from Polaris
oil cable replace it w/fatboyfrechy's on the forum
(first two might be good for a season or 2 just watch for now)
run the 115 belt
install a vent kit
Slp torque arm
Slp torque stop
torque clutch bolt to 96ft lbs

Last edited:
H
Nov 11, 2009
yea those 3 ud\pdates or recalls bt polaris were done and completed. the things that you suggested to be updated in your list, when had you had those updates?(approx. milege) I am familar with the other updates you mention but what is the torque clutch bolt to 96ft lbs.?

thanks

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
yea those 3 ud\pdates or recalls bt polaris were done and completed. the things that you suggested to be updated in your list, when had you had those updates?(approx. milege) I am familar with the other updates you mention but what is the torque clutch bolt to 96ft lbs.?

thanks

The primary clutch bolt needs to be torqued on to 96ft lbs. The original factory spec's were not enough so most 900's were shipped out with the bolts not tightened enough.

The throttle body boots started to crack from heat at 500 miles on mine and so I changed them out with new ones. Polaris came out with better boots and I haven't had any more problems. This can cause a lean condition if cracks go all the way through.

The throttle cable lasted close to 1000 miles. They start to stick causing the oil pump to stick open a little which caused mine to hesitate a little and use more oil then necessary.

Last edited:
Premium Features