• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 Switchback 900

T
Nov 3, 2022
Maine
Hello,
This is my first post. I have read through quite a few posts but have some questions. I am looking at an 06 Switchback 900 with 4k miles on it. It is said that "all updates" have been done. This is owned by someone who is known to take very good care of their stuff so there is that. My question is, what updates are an absolute must for this sled to be reliable? What should I look for when I go look at? Should I forget it and go look at something else?

Thank you for your advice!

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I owned an ‘06 900 RMK and absolutely loved that sled. By the time I was done, it was over 60 lbs. lighter and making about 175 hp. Very fun. Make sure you check crank runout before buying it. If you’re mechanically inclined, you can turn it into a monster quite easily. It’s my only sled so far that I regret selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43f9ee9aab9687a90af42704f7fe7ac7.jpg

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
"Updates" does not equal "replace all bearings that are shot at 4000 miles". Few sleds make it to 4000 miles because they are destroyed by then by hitting a tree or rock. You should be replacing your pistons, rings, outside crank bearings, water pump belt, rear suspension bearings, rebuilding all of your shocks, changing out the drive axle bearings and checking the engine mounts to see if they are torn apart yet.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Buying a Snowmobile is like owning a Truck- I have 320K on my 1997 F350 7.3 Powerstroke and I intend on keeping it. --------------------------------------------------That being said you need to learn how to work on it and maintain it or buy a new 80K Truck every 3 years. -------------Snowmobiles are the same way. Be at the mercy of the dealer or learn it yourself. Older Sleds have more shared Knowledge base on them .

Premium Features