• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any New info or comparisons between the 9R and Carl's 900?????????

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I am presently riding a very well clutched Matryx 850 165 and am very pleased with how it stacks up to the 9R. I have rode with and uphill raced a half dozen 9R’s. The 9R’s launch well but the stock clutching falls flat in the middle. My 850 will run right along side them all day long and I’m 262 lbs with gear on. I have a riding buddy who has spent $25,000 on a new modded 9R that outpulls my 850 by .5 MPH, I’m only $14,600 into my new 850. I personally can’t justify $10,000 for a small performance gain.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Well I got the new machine out!!

Full story and thoughts behind this were.......................

I was originally looking at doing a 9R but I wasn't sure on the short cooler (higher temps) and the P22 clutch. I went back and forth with my dealer and ended up going with an 850 Khaos / non slash 155.

The idea was to try a 155 again as I have not been on a 155 since about 2013. Also with this thought, I could always stretch it to a 165 and have a 165 slash with a larger cooler or easily shorten the tunnel and make a 155 slash and have a larger cooler.

Next came the motor and looking into the Carl's 900. As mentioned above I pulled the trigger on a Carl's 900 kit from BBA and had the chance to talk with Chris directly. I had a couple great conversations with Chris and the kit was ordered along with his BBA clutch kit for the 900. I also spoke with Carl's Cycle direct and they were great to work with as well. I ordered their 900 pipe or "pipe mod" and sent my stock pipe back to them. Carl's also started offering a new 900 tune that they developed, so I ordered that as well.

I received the kit and everything came without issue. Install was done and basically the 900 kit is 9R pistons and cylinders with Carl's porting and of course now a Carl's tune and pipe.

Last week was the first ride out on it and all I can say is.....................Damn!!! Very impressed with how the sled ran to include the clutching. Fast up shifting and instant backshift!!! Power comes on right now but I have not ridden a stock 9R with the light weight crank to directly compare the two. The tune seems to work very well, no fouled plugs or even a hiccup with starting, backfiring or anything. With the little seat time I have, I'm happy with the powerplant and I do like having the P85 and the larger cooler.

The larger cooler definitely makes a difference as we compared sleds during runs on the trail getting to the good stuff. I was consistently 20 to 25 degrees cooler then any of the sleds. It also stays more consistent with temps and doesn't jump around. Temps were almost always around that 100 degrees and it ran like a top.

Again at this point, I'm happy with the mod! Great crisp power, proven P85 clutch, larger cooler and a tune that seems to be spot on thus far!!

Now comes getting some more seat time to see if the 155 will stay on or it will be swapped out to a 165?????????
Sounds like a great build. Carls is one of the few aftermarket companies that takes the time to do stuff right.

I’ve always been a 155 guy… bought a 165 last year (was all the dealer had in season) and I do not understand the draw unless you are 250+. They feel slow, long, heavy, and are just plain boring. I think that extra length takes half the fun out of it.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Sounds like a great build. Carls is one of the few aftermarket companies that takes the time to do stuff right.

I’ve always been a 155 guy… bought a 165 last year (was all the dealer had in season) and I do not understand the draw unless you are 250+. They feel slow, long, heavy, and are just plain boring. I think that extra length takes half the fun out of it.

So far the sled is great but I'm just over that "250+" mark, which is why I keep going back and forth on whether or not to stretch it? I'm 6 foot, and about 255 / 260 and I can tell the 155 doesn't quite climb like I'm use to. It's not like it doesn't climb I just have to zig zag a little more and jump from side to side more. The 155 is definitely more "active" would maybe be the word I would use? You have to carry more speed whether its in the trees and deep snow but it definitely has a quicker response to rider input than a 165. Honestly, just slide a foot back, time the throttle, drop that shoulder and the the thing is carving, she is quick!!!! I actually found myself going into wrong foot forward position much less and I'm able to stay in rider neutral position more.

The front end is also more "active" and you can really play with the suspension if you want the nose up or more planted. I "think" at this point I'm going to leave it a 155 and get some additional seat time before I make further changes.

I do think that regardless if it stays a 155 or gets stretched to the 165, I may be looking at upgrading the track to a 300LX ?!?!?!?!?!

I also should do a complete build and run down in the Matryx section to get a little more feed back!!

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I am presently riding a very well clutched Matryx 850 165 and am very pleased with how it stacks up to the 9R. I have rode with and uphill raced a half dozen 9R’s. The 9R’s launch well but the stock clutching falls flat in the middle. My 850 will run right along side them all day long and I’m 262 lbs with gear on. I have a riding buddy who has spent $25,000 on a new modded 9R that outpulls my 850 by .5 MPH, I’m only $14,600 into my new 850. I personally can’t justify $10,000 for a small performance gain.

Whats your clutch recipe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Features