• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any New info or comparisons between the 9R and Carl's 900?????????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So, I ended up going with a new 2024 NA 850 Khaos 155 after contemplating, reading, and comparing the 850 to the 9R. I'm now second guessing myself a little and have been looking at the Carl's 900 BB kit for the 850.

After doing some additional research on the Carl's Kit, I found good information but not a lot with regard to the new Matryx when comparing a 9R to the Carl's. I would be super interested to hear from guys who may have run both or have been around both of these setups and have real life feedback. Any information would be great to hear and yes, I have read threads on here and other sites so any new or additional information would be awesome!

Big Thanks in advance!!!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I believe the Polaris 9 is pretty much a copy and past Carls 9, but with Polaris CNC cylinders vs how Carls does there.

I’m sure there is a bit more to it, but that is my general understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
RI believe the Polaris 9 is pretty much a copy and past Carls 9, but with Polaris CNC cylinders vs how Carls does there.

I’m sure there is a bit more to it, but that is my general understanding.

To include the light weight crank and flywheel on the 9R. I also know that the Carl's has an actual tune now vs. just using the stock 850 tune.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I am big fan of the CC900. It has amazing top end legs for an NA. Having said that, if you can only have one sled, then I’d trade the 850 in for a 9R. The 9R absolutely rules in the rate of acceleration category with the top end that is close to a boost and can’t be matched in the trees.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I am big fan of the CC900. It has amazing top end legs for an NA. Having said that, if you can only have one sled, then I’d trade the 850 in for a 9R. The 9R absolutely rules in the rate of acceleration category with the top end that is close to a boost and can’t be matched in the trees.
I assume you have ridden both Carl's BB and the 9R? Any thoughts when comparing the two against each other?

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Depends on the elevation you ride 10,000 I'll take the boost every day 6,000 or less 9r. I have 2 9 R's and a boost all 165 khaos. Wife and kid ride the 9's. Most fun sled when the snow is hard 650 146!!!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Depends on the elevation you ride 10,000 I'll take the boost every day 6,000 or less 9r. I have 2 9 R's and a boost all 165 khaos. Wife and kid ride the 9's. Most fun sled when the snow is hard 650 146!!!

I completely agree however, I didn’t see the boost being in the question of the OP. The boost really takes over on the 9R around 6-7k. But that rate of acceleration of the 9R is unmatched. Spin track, on edge, and go is lightening fast. Reminds me of the CC 660/685’s with way more leg. The 9R makes the NA 850 feel like a boat anchor.

I don’t have time on a 650 146 but I believe it. The 650 is a very capable machine.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I worked at carls a couple years ago. Polaris engineers worked directly with carls, they were in shop every once in a while. Carls hand ported what they needed to where polaris is cnc. Carls uses a slp head, polaris is a factory head. You can get the lightweight crank with the cc900 but its an upcharge. The 9r has the p22 clutch. The cylinders were coming straight from polaris as well a y pipes. The 9R has a slightly different pipe. Carls would do little things like port the welds on the y pipe and port the throttle boot. They always ran pretty good.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I worked at carls a couple years ago. Polaris engineers worked directly with carls, they were in shop every once in a while. Carls hand ported what they needed to where polaris is cnc. Carls uses a slp head, polaris is a factory head. You can get the lightweight crank with the cc900 but its an upcharge. The 9r has the p22 clutch. The cylinders were coming straight from polaris as well a y pipes. The 9R has a slightly different pipe. Carls would do little things like port the welds on the y pipe and port the throttle boot. They always ran pretty good.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may pull the trigger on a kit.............

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
They didnt have a different map when i was there, so that is new

Yeah, they said it's new and they claim it shows a definite improvement. If I end up doing this, I may wait just a bit on the flash, so a guy can actually compare the two.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Are you installing it?

I was going to do it myself but my dealership shot me a deal on install and I would have to take it there anyways for the re-learn on the exhaust valves, so there just going to do it.

Decided on doing the re-flash as well and after some miles, I'm thinking I'll jump to the Carl's pipe as well. Should be interesting !!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
By the way ........................... I have to apologize, I put this in the wrong section. Should have gone into the Matryx section. Maybe someone could move it?????????

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
How did this go? Any thoughts and opinions? I may do this over the summer for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
How did this go? Any thoughts and opinions? I may do this over the summer for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well I got the new machine out!!

Full story and thoughts behind this were.......................

I was originally looking at doing a 9R but I wasn't sure on the short cooler (higher temps) and the P22 clutch. I went back and forth with my dealer and ended up going with an 850 Khaos / non slash 155.

The idea was to try a 155 again as I have not been on a 155 since about 2013. Also with this thought, I could always stretch it to a 165 and have a 165 slash with a larger cooler or easily shorten the tunnel and make a 155 slash and have a larger cooler.

Next came the motor and looking into the Carl's 900. As mentioned above I pulled the trigger on a Carl's 900 kit from BBA and had the chance to talk with Chris directly. I had a couple great conversations with Chris and the kit was ordered along with his BBA clutch kit for the 900. I also spoke with Carl's Cycle direct and they were great to work with as well. I ordered their 900 pipe or "pipe mod" and sent my stock pipe back to them. Carl's also started offering a new 900 tune that they developed, so I ordered that as well.

I received the kit and everything came without issue. Install was done and basically the 900 kit is 9R pistons and cylinders with Carl's porting and of course now a Carl's tune and pipe.

Last week was the first ride out on it and all I can say is.....................Damn!!! Very impressed with how the sled ran to include the clutching. Fast up shifting and instant backshift!!! Power comes on right now but I have not ridden a stock 9R with the light weight crank to directly compare the two. The tune seems to work very well, no fouled plugs or even a hiccup with starting, backfiring or anything. With the little seat time I have, I'm happy with the powerplant and I do like having the P85 and the larger cooler.

The larger cooler definitely makes a difference as we compared sleds during runs on the trail getting to the good stuff. I was consistently 20 to 25 degrees cooler then any of the sleds. It also stays more consistent with temps and doesn't jump around. Temps were almost always around that 100 degrees and it ran like a top.

Again at this point, I'm happy with the mod! Great crisp power, proven P85 clutch, larger cooler and a tune that seems to be spot on thus far!!

Now comes getting some more seat time to see if the 155 will stay on or it will be swapped out to a 165?????????

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Well I got the new machine out!!

Full story and thoughts behind this were.......................

I was originally looking at doing a 9R but I wasn't sure on the short cooler (higher temps) and the P22 clutch. I went back and forth with my dealer and ended up going with an 850 Khaos / non slash 155.

The idea was to try a 155 again as I have not been on a 155 since about 2013. Also with this thought, I could always stretch it to a 165 and have a 165 slash with a larger cooler or easily shorten the tunnel and make a 155 slash and have a larger cooler.

Next came the motor and looking into the Carl's 900. As mentioned above I pulled the trigger on a Carl's 900 kit from BBA and had the chance to talk with Chris directly. I had a couple great conversations with Chris and the kit was ordered along with his BBA clutch kit for the 900. I also spoke with Carl's Cycle direct and they were great to work with as well. I ordered their 900 pipe or "pipe mod" and sent my stock pipe back to them. Carl's also started offering a new 900 tune that they developed, so I ordered that as well.

I received the kit and everything came without issue. Install was done and basically the 900 kit is 9R pistons and cylinders with Carl's porting and of course now a Carl's tune and pipe.

Last week was the first ride out on it and all I can say is.....................Damn!!! Very impressed with how the sled ran to include the clutching. Fast up shifting and instant backshift!!! Power comes on right now but I have not ridden a stock 9R with the light weight crank to directly compare the two. The tune seems to work very well, no fouled plugs or even a hiccup with starting, backfiring or anything. With the little seat time I have, I'm happy with the powerplant and I do like having the P85 and the larger cooler.

The larger cooler definitely makes a difference as we compared sleds during runs on the trail getting to the good stuff. I was consistently 20 to 25 degrees cooler then any of the sleds. It also stays more consistent with temps and doesn't jump around. Temps were almost always around that 100 degrees and it ran like a top.

Again at this point, I'm happy with the mod! Great crisp power, proven P85 clutch, larger cooler and a tune that seems to be spot on thus far!!

Now comes getting some more seat time to see if the 155 will stay on or it will be swapped out to a 165?????????
Did it cost you more than buying a 9R with warranty?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Did it cost you more than buying a 9R with warranty?

Actually no, by the time I sold the stock (new) take off parts I’m less then a new 9R. I also got a awesome deal on the 850 out of the gate so that helped too.

Premium Features