• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled died on the mountain and will not start. pls help

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
Hi all,
had to tow my sled off the mountain after she just stopped running, with no warning. on the mountain i was able to get it started a few time with a low rough idle that would always stall with or without throttle use, now i am getting absolutely nothing. I have looked at all of these items with no luck and am now seeking advise and help.

I have great spark with new plugs installed
Compression is 105 on both sides tested at 5,200'
replaced both front relays and the relay over the primary clutch
added 12v power to DC PWR connector and lights came on but no running of the fuel pump
accessed fuel pump directly and applied 12v and the fuel pump operated and sounded fine

i don't have a fuel pressure tester so advise on a good one to purchase, but more importantly, any ideas ya'll might have regarding anything i am missing .

Much Appreciation in advance

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
Did all the lights and handwarmers work before it failed?

Could be a bad regulator or stator not supplying power to the ecu telling the fuel pump to turn on and injectors to fire.

You can ohm out the stator wiring make sure it’s proper. But I’ve had stators ohm out properly but not have proper voltage output. So the ohm test is only part helpful.

Have you tried to start sled when you run fuel pump on a direct 12v source? Or a little spray of brake cleaner into cylinder/or intake and try to start?

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
all lights and handwarmers were working prior. I will look at ohms on stator wiring. i did try and start it after activating the fuel pump a couple of times and it was a no go. i am thinking that i either have bad injectors or low fuel pressure, ie: bad pump. BUT!!!, Should the fuel pump activate through the DC power connector? Thanks, and back to the Garage. Grrrrr, I should be in the Snowies today.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Hi all,
had to tow my sled off the mountain after she just stopped running, with no warning. on the mountain i was able to get it started a few time with a low rough idle that would always stall with or without throttle use, now i am getting absolutely nothing. I have looked at all of these items with no luck and am now seeking advise and help.

I have great spark with new plugs installed
Compression is 105 on both sides tested at 5,200'
replaced both front relays and the relay over the primary clutch
added 12v power to DC PWR connector and lights came on but no running of the fuel pump
accessed fuel pump directly and applied 12v and the fuel pump operated and sounded fine

i don't have a fuel pressure tester so advise on a good one to purchase, but more importantly, any ideas ya'll might have regarding anything i am missing .

Much Appreciation in advance
Could be a throttle safety switch problem. Bypassing it would tell you.

R
Dec 24, 2008
all lights and handwarmers were working prior. I will look at ohms on stator wiring. i did try and start it after activating the fuel pump a couple of times and it was a no go. i am thinking that i either have bad injectors or low fuel pressure, ie: bad pump. BUT!!!, Should the fuel pump activate through the DC power connector? Thanks, and back to the Garage. Grrrrr, I should be in the Snowies today.
fuel pump is fired through the ecu. hooking direct is the only way to cycle it. at what time during the day did this happen? how long had you been riding that day when it died? have you drained the fuel and added new fuel? i just had a machine in the shop that had low power and then quit. it would try to run but would just stall. had over 30% ethanol when i tested it. runs as per normal now with new fuel. just a thought.

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
fuel pump is fired through the ecu. hooking direct is the only way to cycle it. at what time during the day did this happen? how long had you been riding that day when it died? have you drained the fuel and added new fuel? i just had a machine in the shop that had low power and then quit. it would try to run but would just stall. had over 30% ethanol when i tested it. runs as per normal now with new fuel. just a thought.
we had been going hard all day with no problems, 30+ miles with no problems or indications of problems.......... just all of a sudden, Dead. fuel is from albany lodge wyoming 91 ethanol free. thanks, i appreciate the input.

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
just purchased a bypass, thanks again
You can just unplug the plug going to TSS and install a jump wire on it.

Also if you have spark that should eliminate all possibilities of it being a kill switch, TSS, bad key switch etc as all of those items kill your spark.

Injectors usually don’t just stop working so don’t think it’s injectors. How do the reeds look?

Have you tried to remove spark plugs, spray some brake clean(or poor a small amount of fuel preferably mixed) directly inside cylinder reinstall plugs and try to start it?

My guess is bad stator/regulator not powering the ECU to fire fuel pump and operate injectors. Since you can’t start it when you manually power up fuel pump that’s telling me injectors are not getting power to open.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
just purchased a bypass, thanks again
Do you have a tether installed and wear it ALL the time? If not, don't install a throttle safety bypass. If your throttle ever sticks, for any reason, you need the throttle safety switch or a tether to shut it down before it goes for a ghost ride.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Do you have a tether installed and wear it ALL the time? If not, don't install a throttle safety bypass. If your throttle ever sticks, for any reason, you need the throttle safety switch or a tether to shut it down before it goes for a ghost ride.
Not wrong, but should be wearing a tether either way.

I wasn’t recommending to permanently run a bypass but it’s an easy way to rule it out TSS issues, and a good thing to carry on the mountain. Have gotten 3 “dead” sleds off the hill with them, and found the TSS to cause runability issues on multiple other sleds.

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
You can just unplug the plug going to TSS and install a jump wire on it.

Also if you have spark that should eliminate all possibilities of it being a kill switch, TSS, bad key switch etc as all of those items kill your spark.

Injectors usually don’t just stop working so don’t think it’s injectors. How do the reeds look?

Have you tried to remove spark plugs, spray some brake clean(or poor a small amount of fuel preferably mixed) directly inside cylinder reinstall plugs and try to start it?

My guess is bad stator/regulator not powering the ECU to fire fuel pump and operate injectors. Since you can’t start it when you manually power up fuel pump that’s telling me injectors are not getting power to open.
i will try the oil fuel mix in the cylinders/ is 50:1 ok
thanks.

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
thanks for the info, i bought it for diagnostic and would only use it in an emergency situation

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
does anyone know how to test the fuel pump pressure? i have a tester but i have no idea how to set it up. there are two discharge nipples with quick connectors and i dont know if i use both or just one. i am just confused and web searches are nil.
i will try the oil fuel mix in the cylinders/ is 50:1 ok
thanks.
I took plugs out and they wreak of fuel, also put a touch of 50/1 in and got nothing. im beginning to think electrical, ie: stator. no idea on how to hook up fuel pressure tester, wish the would have kept schrader valves.

amistybleu

Premium Member
Jan 18, 2019
Colorado
Well, i tested the fuel pump and the it was 58psi with a leak on the tester, apparently polaris fuel quick connections are SAE. also checked resistance on stator and the numbers look good except my meter

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
100% on testing the stator: you can't get an accurate check with a multimeter. Your fuel pressure is right where it should be. It's possible it's dropping off under load and/or when things get hot, but if it were a fuel component, you'd be more likely to see bogging and maybe det codes. It sounds more like an electrical issue to me, and could be one that only crops up with heat or moisture buildup. I'd make a careful check of the wiring harness and connectors to start; if nothing there, you might have to start swapping components (relays, voltage regulator, stator) with known good ones.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
What is your sled? I see your pic is a 16 axys. My wife had a 16 that had similar symptoms, hers had no headlight or tail light, no gauge power and would start/ idle but would die when tried to give it any throttle. We ended up finding the white 4 wire stator connector had gotten hot and partially melted inside it. It looked good with a quick visual but if you looked down in at the terminals they were deformed enough to not make connection. I replaced the connector with a 4 pin weather pack and solved all problems.

Premium Features