• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso DTS 129

J
Feb 8, 2024
Langley
I'm a new-b to snow bikes but have many years riding and racing MX. I've done some research and read that the TS and Yeti are highly rated but I'd like to make my first snow bike without breaking the bank. I have access to a Camso DTS 129 and am mechanically inclined so I don't think fitment to my steel framed YZ450F will be a problem. I know about the brake 'recall' and the fact that they're discontinued but would this rig be a negative experience for me? Thoughts?

M
Jan 14, 2004
First and most important question, what year is the kit? I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2019. Camso made a ton of changes to the kit in 2019 that most people don't realize. The 2020 kit is very solid, I still have one and let new riders use it and sometimes ride it as a backup. A lot depends on your riding style. If you want to jump then steer clear as they really don't have any suspension. For deep snow they work extremely well, the later track hooks up unreal. Its still one of the best turning kits I've ridden in good snow. They can be a little sketchy on the trail, you need to keep it on edge and trust the ski. If you are riding a lot of hard pack or have long trail rides to the goods it won't be the most fun kit. I'd still take it over an older TS having owned both.

Everyone on here will be a hater on the DTS but if you can find a cheap 2020 its a decent kit and even better if you change the ski.

M5

J
Feb 8, 2024
Langley
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I've read lots of hate about the Camso. I have a new 2017 kit available and could get me into the sport to check it out instead of spending 9k on the latest.

What changes were made to the new ones and where were the frame sides breaking? I can weld and brace that area before it breaks. The 2020 parts are available to upgrade it where necessary. Strutrod? Or Zbros shock? Or is this design hopeless for an ex pro MX racer to enjoy?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I guess it comes down to the price, you could give it a go if it was REALLY CHEAP, like almost free. The sides cracked all over the place and welding them isn't an option, they will just crack beside the welds. The track is super soft on the 2017 and will chuck paddles off pretty consistently. No suspension to speak of, it'll eat bearings because the sides are flexing and it needs a big diet. Life and limb will be at risk due to no brakes, like zero. One plus is they are pretty low seat height and turn like crazy with the monorail.

Everybody wants to get started in snow biking on a budget but it rarely pans out that way. I think you need to realistically budget in the 7-10k range in Canada and around 5k minimum in the US. The last thing you are going to want is to slow down your friends in the back country because your POS setup failed. Doubling out on a snow bike sucks, trust me I've done it. Personally I'd walk away from a 2017 Camso new or not, find a 2020 it'll still be cheap if your heart is set on a Camso. Just for reference my 2013 TS had just about as many problems as the Camso did. Kits have come a LONG WAY in the last decade, you get what you pay for.

M5

A
Nov 14, 2017
I guess it comes down to the price, you could give it a go if it was REALLY CHEAP, like almost free. The sides cracked all over the place and welding them isn't an option, they will just crack beside the welds. The track is super soft on the 2017 and will chuck paddles off pretty consistently. No suspension to speak of, it'll eat bearings because the sides are flexing and it needs a big diet. Life and limb will be at risk due to no brakes, like zero. One plus is they are pretty low seat height and turn like crazy with the monorail.

Everybody wants to get started in snow biking on a budget but it rarely pans out that way. I think you need to realistically budget in the 7-10k range in Canada and around 5k minimum in the US. The last thing you are going to want is to slow down your friends in the back country because your POS setup failed. Doubling out on a snow bike sucks, trust me I've done it. Personally I'd walk away from a 2017 Camso new or not, find a 2020 it'll still be cheap if your heart is set on a Camso. Just for reference my 2013 TS had just about as many problems as the Camso did. Kits have come a LONG WAY in the last decade, you get what you pay for.

M5

Your comment about how everyone wants to start cheap is very accurate. Everyone I know (including me) bought a cheaper setup and thought "this will get me started". It works great for things like dirt bikes and Juniors first car when he turns 16. The reason is that having an old POS that is slow an breaks down doesn't really change that experience much. You can still get around.

Snowbiking is different. You need the kit to perform in order to keep up with your buddies. Otherwise you are way behind them in a hole you trenched. Or worse, your are stuck in the mountains on a dead POS. The only thing worse than doubling on a snowbike is trying to tow out a snowbike with another snowbike.

In some of these threads people even want to use kickstart bikes. Yes I know some people can do that... but its usually the guys who have snowbiked for years that are ok with a kickstart only bike. A completely inexperienced rider who has never ridden before? He is going to fall over a lot and have a lot of trouble getting his bike started with a kickstart and a carb. Its going to be frustrating for everyone who is riding with that guy as well (I speak from experience).

I recommend getting a newer kit with a solid bike with electric start and heated bars. The reality is... if you like snowbiking you are going to spend on those things soon anyways. If you dont like snowbiking you will sell it for what you paid anyways, but at least you gave it a real try on proper equipment.

J
Feb 8, 2024
Langley
Thanks a lot for the honest info guys! Definitely Not doing the Camso now. I'll pony up and start out with a proper set up. I see some coming available as the season comes to an end. I haven't heard of anyone who doesn't like the sport. They usually are upgrading, injured, or moving. I'll find something proper and be ready for next year. Cheers!

E
Dec 19, 2007
Has anyone actually had one totally fail because of the cracks? I've bolted metal patch across the corner cracks and stopped them from getting bigger. But never had a critical issue other than resale value. The bearings fail but so does timber sleds. I never liked camso but got real tired of everyone on this forum raving about how good they go in deep snow so if you ride in deep snow no one will be waiting very long for you to catch up at least.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
The cheapest, reliable option that I know of is a 17 or newer timber sled raw. Suspension is not quite as good as some of the others but it’s decent and that kit will get you pretty much anywhere your buddies go. Another nice thing is if you buy one for 1500 you can probably sell it in a year for 1200.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I kicked my 17 Yamaha for three years. Sure, sometimes it sucks. Not a dealbreaker though. Obviously you know your bike and how to start it. I imagine you understand the jetting on it as well. Will you want new bike? Yes. Will you have fun? YES!

Premium Features