• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R VS Boost

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I have both a 9R and a boost The 9R won’t come close to a boost in climbing. It’s barely better then an 850. 9R is great for tight tree riding and won’t wear you out like a boost a much better all around sled but nothing remotely close to a boost when it comes to power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do tell more on how a 9r is barely better than an 850.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Rode them both back to back for a whole day in whistler 850 had electric start was the only difference. I rode the 9R for a few hours before jumping on the 850 after jumping on the 850 I actually thought it felt a little stronger then the 9R once we stopped I asked my friend his thoughts and he also thought the 850 was a little better. I might have just got a weak 9R but that was my experience.
I tore the 9R down and it did appear it had some blow by on the piston rings so I got it honed and put in new pistons and rings so hopefully it’s better this year. I just need snow to try it out.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Rode them both back to back for a whole day in whistler 850 had electric start was the only difference. I rode the 9R for a few hours before jumping on the 850 after jumping on the 850 I actually thought it felt a little stronger then the 9R once we stopped I asked my friend his thoughts and he also thought the 850 was a little better. I might have just got a weak 9R but that was my experience.
I tore the 9R down and it did appear it had some blow by on the piston rings so I got it honed and put in new pistons and rings so hopefully it’s better this year. I just need snow to try it out.

There were a number of 9R with piston issues. If you pull the exhaust valves you can get a good look at your pistons. Many were scored below the ring.
If you have rpm fade or it feels lethargic, have a look.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
We had a 9r for a week at 2000-4000' in heavy deep spring snow. and multiple people rode it. I put epi 80g weights with a 120-310 primary spring in it to get the rpm set at 8400. That 9r could only put 1 sled length on a matryx 850 that is all stock. That 9r did rev fast and screamed. But at $ 3500 over the 850 and less warranty no one bought one., they went 850.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
We had a 9r for a week at 2000-4000' in heavy deep spring snow. and multiple people rode it. I put epi 80g weights with a 120-310 primary spring in it to get the rpm set at 8400. That 9r could only put 1 sled length on a matryx 850 that is all stock. That 9r did rev fast and screamed. But at $ 3500 over the 850 and less warranty no one bought one., they went 850.

Wise decision Polaris did an excellent job marketing the 9R sled. All the professional riders told us how incredible it is and we believed. I was hoping it would have an updated Polaris tune by now and we would progress to making run like the sled that was advertised.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

It's probably because the 850 had TRS clutching and your 9R has the junk clutching I run 😌

Last edited:
S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
It's probably because the 850 had TRS clutching and your 9R has the junk clutching I run

I get what you’re saying Chadly there is no performance gain that will make people better riders. The best way to get more out of the sport is to improve riding ability. In my opinion the vast majority of riders on a turbo would be better suited riding a 650 and getting their fundamentals down. I enjoy the performance side of the machines and trying to have them run perfect knowing full well a top level rider on a dragon would kick my ass anyway.

P
Nov 29, 2013
Minnesota
I am in your same shoes. I ride the exact same sled as you and am close in size. I have a lot of xtra s and my sled runs stong too no twins though. I am so prefer being lost and dropping into places that are **** holes. But I been thinking boost but I always wonder what a 9R with twin pipes and some higher compression and good fuel could do if it were liter and could run hard uptown would it give the boost a run for its money up top i mean at least be close and then destroy it on the bottom. What’s a 9R with 4K in the motor do

I ended up going with a boost 165 3.25. I really wanted to try a 9r and run the twins on that but I also couldn’t justify putting 4k into the twins plus whatever other lightweight stuff I wanted. I paid a few hundred more dollars for the boost . I’m thinking/hoping I’ll be happy with the decision.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Agreed on the price. My theory is you buy it for the challenge. Just can’t get anyone else to think like this.

Can get peeps to follow me all day through the trees but not to the dealer to pay 15k for a 650 to go slower and lower. Can’t see why not

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Agreed on the price. My theory is you buy it for the challenge. Just can’t get anyone else to think like this.

Can get peeps to follow me all day through the trees but not to the dealer to pay 15k for a 650 to go slower and lower. Can’t see why not

Hard to find others with the same cognitive dissonance 😂

Premium Features