• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 165 turbo expert issues

R
Jan 9, 2011
I also rode brandywine yesterday. Wow one of the best days of the season. I have 23 Lynx turbo R and have been fighting excessive rpm since new. Like an old girlfriend, always wanting another gram. I had a stupid amount of pivot bolt weight, Joey clutching, cleaned and inspected numerous times. Could not find balance between snappyness and not over revving. Until yesterday. Installed High Torque rollers in secondary. RPM went from 8000, 8100 right down to 7600. Took a couple grams away and wow. Finally. Snappy throttle response and 7900 rock solid. Pulls like a mother. Friken arms are sore today.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Have you heard anything about the Turbo Tamers?

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Have you heard anything about the Turbo Tamers?

I have not. Will check it out.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I also rode brandywine yesterday. Wow one of the best days of the season. I have 23 Lynx turbo R and have been fighting excessive rpm since new. Like an old girlfriend, always wanting another gram. I had a stupid amount of pivot bolt weight, Joey clutching, cleaned and inspected numerous times. Could not find balance between snappyness and not over revving. Until yesterday. Installed High Torque rollers in secondary. RPM went from 8000, 8100 right down to 7600. Took a couple grams away and wow. Finally. Snappy throttle response and 7900 rock solid. Pulls like a mother. Friken arms are sore today.

I installed the High Torque rollers along with my Ibackshift kit and has been working flawless. I feel it’s a must have when taking secondary apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I think I have a problem not talked about yet. I ripped off the bracket on the expansion chamber the part where the springs hook it to the turbo. I’ve replaced 7 exhaust springs on the same section this year and it’s a fully stock exhaust system wtf skidoo. I’m really hoping it’s warranty work.
1F0DDAFC-2A93-4DF8-9A2C-0644982C9638.jpegA5AF9D66-A786-4B8D-8434-3AEA5274B6A4.jpeg

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
^^^^i would think it is warranty^^^^

They have a bad angle on those springs, with a sharp edge. Seems to break some springs.

My 21 lost one, installed 4 new ones. Keep the other three as spares.

My 22 didn’t break any.

My 23 broke one the other day, dealer gave me a new spring. Changed the other three for new ones, kept the old ones as spares again.

Also get out a magnet and find as many missing springs as possible. Hate to have one bounce though the clutch system.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
^^^^i would think it is warranty^^^^

They have a bad angle on those springs, with a sharp edge. Seems to break some springs.

My 21 lost one, installed 4 new ones. Keep the other three as spares.

My 22 didn’t break any.

My 23 broke one the other day, dealer gave me a new spring. Changed the other three for new ones, kept the old ones as spares again.

Also get out a magnet and find as many missing springs as possible. Hate to have one bounce though the clutch system.

My 23 had has the exhaust spring curse dealer found a spring inside the pull starter something that had to have gotten there upon factory assembly. I think I’m going to weld the bracket back on does anyone know the material of it? One of my strong magnets barely sticks to it almost like the weld slag is the only thing magnetic on it.image.jpg

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
So I've got about 1100 kms, 400 kms with the 38mm pins. Clicker 4, spring snow, pulls 8000 rpms, drops to 78 or 7900 on long pulls. Can feel the loss of peppiness on the bottom end. Sled tends to jump off the start. Will def need a clutch kit to keep from over revving, popping and losing boost and maintain power throughout the band. SHR or DJ is the question. Lots of feedback about SHR, haven't seen much regarding DJ.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
iBackshift/DJ is the way to go. check out the website and the huge amount of clutching info it contains. it's the most important accessory and the first one that gets ordered after i snowcheck.
factory clutching still leaves alot to be desired...

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So I've got about 1100 kms, 400 kms with the 38mm pins. Clicker 4, spring snow, pulls 8000 rpms, drops to 78 or 7900 on long pulls. Can feel the loss of peppiness on the bottom end. Sled tends to jump off the start. Will def need a clutch kit to keep from over revving, popping and losing boost and maintain power throughout the band. SHR or DJ is the question. Lots of feedback about SHR, haven't seen much regarding DJ.
For comparison, I've got the same 38mm pins on clicker 3. At 8-9000ft, I see ~8100-8300 on throttle stab and it settles in around 8000-8200 depending on the snow. I still get the backfire and loss of boost from time to time. Next year's machine will get a different clutch setup to keep it from screwing me over on a do or die pull.... disappointed in the factory clutching for sure.

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
i am positive that the stock clutching has been disappointing since my first Ski-doo Mountain sled in 2001, i can not remember of a single 1 that i did not have to rework both clutches, then along comes Joey at Iback shift and now every new sled gets his magic kit installed before the sled sees the snow outside of the shop

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
i am positive that the stock clutching has been disappointing since my first Ski-doo Mountain sled in 2001, i can not remember of a single 1 that i did not have to rework both clutches, then along comes Joey at Iback shift and now every new sled gets his magic kit installed before the sled sees the snow outside of the shop
Exactly!!!

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask

Mine started over revving just out of breakin 23 165 Turbo. Put DJ kit in with the hi torque rollers and my sled stayed at 7900/8000 all day in handlebar deep snow and bumper deep snow. Been running his stuff for years since the XP days always consistent. Don’t usually hear to much bad about his kits. Clutching is kinda a personal thing so guys tweek as needed. I could care less about dialing in as long as it pulls what it should.

Can’t tell you how the kit performs in spring snow cause my sled gets put away and traded off when the ski tips aren’t buried anymore. But I can tell you my 24 will have a DJ kit for next year.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
have you checked your boost tube? (i think thats what its called). mine was snapped off. i have no idea how long. but i was getting the occasional backfire. and when its snapped off you are blowing exhaust through the hole into the open under your hood. i suspect there are many sleds out there with the boost tube snapped off and owners have not pulled the hood to check.

Last edited:
Premium Features