• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850E-TEC Turbo R most common issues & troubleshoot

D
Dec 22, 2018
Second year with Turbo R and it has been a solid engine. Close to zero problems on my sled or my friends rides. But theres always some things that small % of riders might get involved with. Here is a list of problems that I have seen or heard for troubleshooting purposes:

1. Rave servo motor (actuator) failing
- Sudden rpm drops
- RPM fading or inconsistent
- Wont give fault codes
- Brp has updated part number several times, so we know that there has been more issuses in general
- Fix by replacing the servo motor

2. Wastegate servo motor (actuator) failing
- No boost, goes to limp mode
- Will give out fault code P0245 and maybe some others too
- Its the same servo motor as is used with rave, so yeah
- Fix by replacing the servo motor

3. Bad fuel pump & blocked filters
- RPM fading on longer pulls
- Wont give fault codes
- Replace the pump or filters

4. Reeds
- Engine idling is weird and inconsistent
- Weaker midrange power and and slower throttle response, sled might need more pulls to start
- Wont give fault codes
- Fix by replacing the reeds

5. Engine backfiring
- ECU cant read out maps for the injectors
- Backfiring, feeling of engine "icing" on midrange
- Wont give fault codes
- Fix by rewriting (flashing) maps for the injectors with buds

6. Engine wont pull properly on warm spring conditions
- Flyback voltage compensation has not been enabled from ECU
- RPM fades on warm conditions, general lack of power
- Fix by enabling Flyback Voltage Compensation with buds

There migth be more that I cant remeber atm. I know there has been lots of faulty ECU´s and injectors between 2020-2022 but havent heard that many issues with 2023+.

D
Dec 22, 2018
7. Fouling spark plugs
- Idling is bad when engine is cold and is fouling plugs. Pulls quite normal when warm
- Grease on stator wiring harness connector
- Fix by cleaning the connector

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
My 24 at 850 miles has had
1. All the sensors that run over the expansion champer melted (200 miles)
2. Rave actuator snapped the arm off (710 miles)
3. Throttle cable snapped (740 miles)
4. 154 track covered under warranty (740 miles)
5. Stator went out causing limp mode (850 miles)
6. Loss of power has somehow fried my ecm (850 miles)

That’s every thing that doo has warrantied for me this year. Sled is currently waiting for a stator, ecm, and the track. Only other things I’ve broke is all the cheap screens 1 rear bummer and a belt. I think I’ve done less damage than last year at this point but the sled has had more problems.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

That’s every thing that doo has warrantied for me this year. Sled is currently waiting for a stator, ecm, and the track. Only other things I’ve broke is all the cheap screens 1 rear bummer and a belt. I think I’ve done less damage than last year at this point but the sled has had more problems.
Thought i was in the Polaris forum.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Epic troll, every year 🤣 😂😂😂 degrades into my p.o.s. is worse than yours😠😡🤬 mine has blown every spark plug, every belt, every sprocket and chain, every clutch, all of the shocks, rails are 💩, a-arms have collapsed and bent. Don't get me started on the track×4 yeah! It showed up late January and has been at the shop the entire time! Trading for a 600 catalyst or electric! It's the internet take it with a grin and a grain of 🧂enjoy yourselves and stay safe fellow snow bandits ☠

B
Feb 16, 2022
Revelstoke

How did you get a track covered under warranty?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Yeah I would really be tempted to try a Polaris but my skidoo dealer is 30 minutes closer to me than any Polaris dealer and has sold me 3 sleds in a row under msrp. In one of the 2025 rumor forums I wrote that BOTH brands needed more durability this for 25.
I am at the polaris dealer right now. Get lucky or you don't. Boost has all sorts of plastic bits in oil reservoir. 9r has worse brake than boost but no plastic. We bled it so maybe they are all in bottom but reservoir is clean.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
So hard to get warranty on track they always have some kinda excuse not to warranty it . Good dealers can pull strings too some dealers just can’t be bothered to try , 3” tracks are especially bad seems . 2.5 hold up a bit better

R
May 6, 2018
146 turbos seem to be having some belt issues with hot clutches. Seems to be that quite a few don't have a clutch kit. That should help bring down the clutch temp and save some belt life correct? Or should they be looking to gear down a tooth?

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Epic troll, every year 🤣 😂😂😂 degrades into my p.o.s. is worse than yours😠😡🤬 mine has blown every spark plug, every belt, every sprocket and chain, every clutch, all of the shocks, rails are 💩, a-arms have collapsed and bent. Don't get me started on the track×4 yeah! It showed up late January and has been at the shop the entire time! Trading for a 600 catalyst or electric! It's the internet take it with a grin and a grain of 🧂enjoy yourselves and stay safe fellow snow bandits ☠
Not trying to troll I’m just trying to help diagnose/tell things to look for and so was driver. At the end of the day I’m taking a very high performance machine and beating it like a red headed step child. We all want light weight, high horse power and there has to be a balance somewhere. That somewhere happens to be reliability and price right now for doo and poo.

M
Dec 4, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
146 turbos seem to be having some belt issues with hot clutches. Seems to be that quite a few don't have a clutch kit. That should help bring down the clutch temp and save some belt life correct? Or should they be looking to gear down a tooth?
My Buddy Geared down to 165 Turbo gearing and installed Riderz Clutch kit. No more belt heat and no more blown belts. The upshift and backshift is incredible.

R
May 6, 2018
My Buddy Geared down to 165 Turbo gearing and installed Riderz Clutch kit. No more belt heat and no more blown belts. The upshift and backshift is incredible.

The gearing on the 24 for a 146 2.5inch is 22tooth top gear and 51 tooth bottom while the 154 2.5 is 21 top gear and 53 bottom.
I ran riders turbo tamers on my 22 and wasn’t a fan. Switched to sled head racing clutch kit and it was money. But I also did an alignment kit which helped.
Overall top speed is not my goal. I want low end torque and midrange. It’s a 146 I don’t wanna pull chutes. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Dec 22, 2018
I was hoping that this thread would stay informative and focus on Turbo R engine and troubles behind that. There are a lot of clueless dealers and shops so I thought it might be good to share information I have gathered in 1,5yrs.

Trolltech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2008
Somebody still get "speed limit" on display on 146 turbo r? Flashing on my display around 140kmh/88mph. Dealer dont see anything wrong when they connect it to computer.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Somebody still get "speed limit" on display on 146 turbo r? Flashing on my display around 140kmh/88mph. Dealer dont see anything wrong when they connect it to computer.

I had speed limit show up on my 24 165 X but it came along with an engine light, poor running sled and a whole bunch of codes. Turned out to be a MAP sensor. I was told the voltage regulators (ECM)have been an issue this year also causing some problem’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features