• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3.25 track???

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Betting a lot of folks who order the 3.25" would actually be better served by the 2.75" as it is suited for a wider range of conditions.

If you ride hood deep powder all season get the 3.25" no question, but in the real world most of us ride in all kinds of snow conditions and are better severed by a track designed for a wide range of conditions.

Just my $.02

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
the stiffer 325 will actually work better in more snow conditions.

The layover 275 only works better in the softest fluff.

I think there’s a little confusion here…….

C
Dec 15, 2017
the stiffer 325 will actually work better in more snow conditions.

The layover 275 only works better in the softest fluff.

I think there’s a little confusion here…….
This is exactly what I was thinking. The 2.75 did great in the light fluffy stuff. It didn't hook up well crossing tracks or in spring snow. And it didn't brake that well.
I understand it will be hard to keep cool on the trail but if it's got decent backbone it should outperform the 2.75 in most conditions shouldn't it?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Being stiffer, wonder if it’ll trench worse than the current Polaris 3”.
I don't think the smartest engineers in the world could design something that would out trench that 3". Polaris really hit the ball out of the park when it comes to trenching with that garbage track. I also don't know if I can believe that it is all that much stiffer. I had a hard time getting the nose up to do bowties and hop-overs in Colorado. But maybe they are that much harder to do in CO snow. Caleb's 3" Composit (which is extremely stiff like the 300LX) on his 9R compared to my 2.75 side by side was a huge difference in the sleds hooking up from a stand still. I can't say that about the 3.25 I rode in CO...

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I don't think the smartest engineers in the world could design something that would out trench that 3". Polaris really hit the ball out of the park when it comes to trenching with that garbage track. I also don't know if I can believe that it is all that much stiffer. I had a hard time getting the nose up to do bowties and hop-overs in Colorado. But maybe they are that much harder to do in CO snow. Caleb's 3" Composit (which is extremely stiff like the 300LX) on his 9R compared to my 2.75 side by side was a huge difference in the sleds hooking up from a stand still. I can't say that about the 3.25 I rode in CO...
Is it possible that there were multiple versions of the 3.25 being tested, different stiffness/durometer? And maybe you rode one of the softer test tracks?

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Anyone ever tried a variable height and variable stiffness design? Eg: stiffer and taller on some lugs than others?

I'm thinking about dual compound dirt bike tires and how awesome they can work in a variety of conditions.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I know a lot of guys don't like the poo 3" but on the boost I like it over the 2.75. I ordered the 3.25 on my 24 hopefully a little stiffer then the 2.75.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It really comes down to weight. Have they said the weight on the 3.25? The 300LX weighs just over 9lbs more than the 2.75. It's hard to make it stiffer without adding more support. If the track isn't significantly heavier it's going to be a wet noodle. The track I saw and rode, didn't not have the thickness or stiffness of a Doo or a 300XL. All we can do is hope at this point as I also ordered the 3.25 for my Boost next year.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
My experience from playing with different tracks and sleds this year. I started off the year with a khaos boost 155” I got the sled late last year and wasn’t overly impressed with the sled other than the power it was exhausting trying to tree ride.
Before the start of this year I put on a lynx track. For my first ride I went to Revelstoke it sucked trying to climb anything it was wheelie monster. I felt like I regressed as a rider. Next trip was to MCCall with a pro ride limiter strap it helped ever so slightly but was still exhausting to ride I was wiped out by noon. I put the sled up for sale right after that trip it wasn’t for me.
I got my 9R 155 khaos with the 2.75 track and loved it. I decided my last trip of the year to install the lynx track and on the first hill I could tell I created another wheelie monster not near as bad as the boost but still more then I wanted so I put on the Pro limiter strap and tightened the rear track shock and was really happy with it the second day. None of the days were over the hood deep snow but I thought all the rides were pretty good conditions a good base with 6-10 inches of fluff on top. I wouldn’t recommend a 155 boost to anyone who enjoys even a moderate amount of tree riding it’s not the proper sled for that.
The lynx track has a lot more traction and doesn’t seem to trench.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My experience from playing with different tracks and sleds this year. I started off the year with a khaos boost 155” I got the sled late last year and wasn’t overly impressed with the sled other than the power it was exhausting trying to tree ride.
Before the start of this year I put on a lynx track. For my first ride I went to Revelstoke it sucked trying to climb anything it was wheelie monster. I felt like I regressed as a rider. Next trip was to MCCall with a pro ride limiter strap it helped ever so slightly but was still exhausting to ride I was wiped out by noon. I put the sled up for sale right after that trip it wasn’t for me.
I got my 9R 155 khaos with the 2.75 track and loved it. I decided my last trip of the year to install the lynx track and on the first hill I could tell I created another wheelie monster not near as bad as the boost but still more then I wanted so I put on the Pro limiter strap and tightened the rear track shock and was really happy with it the second day. None of the days were over the hood deep snow but I thought all the rides were pretty good conditions a good base with 6-10 inches of fluff on top. I wouldn’t recommend a 155 boost to anyone who enjoys even a moderate amount of tree riding it’s not the proper sled for that.
The lynx track has a lot more traction and doesn’t seem to trench.
You only made it a wheelie monster because you were finally putting the power to the snow. I know a guy who rides a Boost Khaos that I rode with quite a few times this year that absolutely destroys it in the trees. Probably the best in the world. It's all about how you set it up.

C
Dec 15, 2017
It really comes down to weight. Have they said the weight on the 3.25? The 300LX weighs just over 9lbs more than the 2.75. It's hard to make it stiffer without adding more support. If the track isn't significantly heavier it's going to be a wet noodle. The track I saw and rode, didn't not have the thickness or stiffness of a Doo or a 300XL. All we can do is hope at this point as I also ordered the 3.25 for my Boost next year.
They did say the 3.25 is 6lbs heavier than the 2.75.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I’m trying a 165 next year will be my deep snow sled. Was your friends a 155? Track length makes a huge difference. I get that the worlds top riders will get along fine. I’m just throwing it out there that if you’re not at the very least a very good rider you will probably like the 9R more. I’m open to the fact I didn’t have it set up properly but I felt like I did what I could. I had Carls revalved shocks and pro limiter strap looking back I wish I would have tried the heavier rear track shock.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I’m trying a 165 next year will be my deep snow sled. Was your friends a 155? Track length makes a huge difference. I get that the worlds top riders will get along fine. I’m just throwing it out there that if you’re not at the very least a very good rider you will probably like the 9R more. I’m open to the fact I didn’t have it set up properly but I felt like I did what I could. I had Carls revalved shocks and pro limiter strap looking back I wish I would have tried the heavier rear track shock.
I'm just giving you a hard time and was referring to Caleb Kesterke. I couldn't agree with you more. I think the majority of people should be on a 165 unless you are a very good and aggressive rider. Especially if you are over 40.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
They did say the 3.25 is 6lbs heavier than the 2.75.
Yeah it should be 12 lbs heavier at the very least... Simple math would say 6 lbs is about what it would way more if they just lengthened what they had and didn't thicken the lugs for stiffness.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I’d rather try and tame a track that wants to wheelie any day. Lots of options there. Trying to make a track playful and aggressive that just wants to spin is tough.
I will say the 2.75 is super easy for me to ride in trees. It spins so much and is constantly breaking the snow. Much like the 2.6. It makes fast maneuvers possible with less effort. Also makes the sled feel lighter.
It took me a bit to understand how to ride the 300lx in trees. I have to be aggressive and on the pin. When you ride slow it will tend to trench and feel heavy imo. Now that I’m used to it I can’t stand riding the 2.75.
I ordered the 3.25. If it sucks I’ll cut it down or sell it. At least I’ll have a tunnel that will have more clearance for a 3” skidoo track.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Anyone ever tried a variable height and variable stiffness design? Eg: stiffer and taller on some lugs than others?

I'm thinking about dual compound dirt bike tires and how awesome they can work in a variety of conditions.
Yes, the m66. I have it on my 146 and really like it. That track is very soft on the center lugs and inner portion of the outer lugs. The outer part of the side lugs are very stiff and have fingers. It’s a soft powder track in the middle with stiff edges to bite the layer down low.
I’ve tried 4 tracks on my 146”. The m67, m66, series 6 2.6, and 2.6 powerclaw. I’d probably take the m66 for an all season do it all track on that sled. But the powerclaw cat track hooks up the best on any layer it can find. It hooks so hard! Such a fun track for ski lift and will climb great! You just have to be moving! Both the m66 and powerclaw are about 10lbs heavier than the m67 and series 6.
The m67 and series 6 just spin and won’t lift the skis. Those tracks make my 146 feel like a pro. I wasn’t a fan for how I like to ride.
Aggressive tracks and taller lug tracks have to be ridden accordingly. I think that’s partially why there is such a difference in opinion on them. If you dilly dattle on a tall lug or aggressive track you probably won’t like it.

Last edited:
Premium Features