• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whos still riding the mountain max!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
my friends 153 MM

steve054.jpg

lots of ekholm, many more light weight parts and LOUD

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
had a 99 mtn max 600 that was my first big sled steppin up from a bravo. wicked awesome sled and sure would go like hell! problem with it though was i could not keep the engine in that sled. sold it off after blowin it up for the 2 time in 600km. i think the smart carbs were the problem. But would i buy one again? Hell ya!

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
The pictures of the sled without mountains are from before I owned it. I live in the part of southern Idaho where there are mountains, I just don't have any pics to prove it I guess.

K
who still is riding a mtn max

I have had three mtn. max's, and IMO the best sled ever built. I have only been towed out once in 11 years of riding them. ( a broken drive shaft on my first 97 max) All three of them have had SLP pipes and turning at 8900-9000 RPM and not one engine problem. My current mtn. max is a 99' motor with a SLP 800 kit with case and cylinder porting,SLP big bore pipes, p-85 primary,roller secondary, elkholm tunnel, boss seat, MPI light weight front end, Kayaba long travel shocks, a 09' nytro rear skid lightened up,(transfers and rides much better than my old skid even with everthing lightened up and with MPI transfer kit) 6 inch bar riser, left hand throttle, lexan hood, 153x16x2.5 challenger extreme track, simmons skis, I love how reliable and how strong the sled runs. I also love how the sled handles, and hearing the sweet sound of a triple coming to life. Its fun beating my buddies dragons 800.s, XP,s and M8s, I tell them when they can get another 800 to beat the sled, I will update,(thats not turboed) Even then I don't think I will ever be able to sell her, because what ever I replace her with probably won't be as reliable, so I will need a back-up.

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
Thought I would keep this awesome thread alive by asking a question. I'm going longer with my stock MM this year (2000) and I'm wondering what would be the best skid to put in? Buy MPI new? Look for a used Fabcraft, or ez-ryde? Put in a cat or poo skid and try and get the geometry right? What are everyone's thoughts? I mostly boondock....attached a pic of me right before I biffed and another of mine and my brother's, he has a 2001.

DSC_0072 (Large).jpg DSC_0073 (Large).jpg

K
what suspension to put in to go longer in 2000 m.m.

I have had the MPI suspension, but IMO I would either look for a used cat skid out of a M7 (I have seen them used in the forums for around $300) or I would go with a used Nytro skid. Both skids will ride alot nicer and tranfer better. I found a nytro skid and after removing wheels and putting on ice-scratchers I got the weight within 2 lbs of a stock m7 skid. But if you can afford it, I am sure the timbersled and EZ-ride our better, it just depends on how much you want to spend. good luck

99 M.M. 800 kit lots of goodies
95 phazer II 136x1.5
95 CR 500

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
Anyone have a template for mounting either a newer M7/8 or RMK skid in a MM? Looking for something that flat out works. As was stated earlier, I see a few cat skids for around 300 and a few 155 RMK skids for 400 on up. Which of the two fit the tunnel width better? There's a beer in it for someone if they can tell me what they used for used skids in their MM and what track length they had to go with!! I have heard, not sure of the truth, that a 141 cat skid in stock holes will run a 151 track and a 153 will run a 162. If I went with a 155 RMK skid would my track have to be a 162, 166? And yes, I'm a total rube when it comes to this stuff, so no heckling! I just like to ride.

Last edited:
Premium Features