• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha riding struggles

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
So yesterday was my 4th day one the my alpha and i am really struggling and seem to be fighting the sled in any condition. So even in a flat meadow the nose just seems to roll and dig into the snow. I pumped up my shocks but still didnt help much. So main question here is i felt way more comfortable on my dads 2011 ski doo summit and 2010 m8000 and i even tried my uncles 2018 m8000 and seemed to ride way nicer then my alpha. My dad who is 50 and has rode sleds since he was a kid and has been to sicamous and can get around the mountain pretty freakin good said it even feels harder to ride then his 2011 summit. So is nose kinda wanting to dive to one side an alpha thing or an arctic cat thing since there a little heavier in the front end it seems. I didnt ride my uncles 18 much other then the 1 trail hence why im asking. Should i considering going to ski doo? Any questions to just ask. Hope y'all can provide some insight thanks

T
Feb 28, 2016
What did you pump your ski shocks to? And what are your track shocks pumped to? The track shocks will play a big factor in ride style

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If ur turn the bars, the sled will roll to the opposite side. In soft snow, u control the direction of travel more with ur feet and a slight turn of the bars.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I struggled the first ride with my Alpha, thought it handled poorly. Found out the factory sets front ski shocks way too high. Dropped them to the 65# range and have been happy since.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Try 70 front shocks, 65 front skid shock and 150 rear. Step forward on the board, the further you step back the faster the front will come around.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
If ur turn the bars, the sled will roll to the opposite side. In soft snow, u control the direction of travel more with ur feet and a slight turn of the bars.

We had soft stuff yesterday and the sled just feels strange compared the other sleds I’ve rode so far in a meadow

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The elevate kit helps stabilize the Alpha.
Especially downhills. Stock, downhill in deep snow, u look right, and it dives right, and u have to hit the gas to bring it back up. Elevate reduces that tremendously. Does make it harder to steer, though.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If u like the twin rail more, then that seems like the best option.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
If u like the twin rail more, then that seems like the best option.

Might do that i really have tried some different settings on the shocks and have struggled almost everyday i rode it. Im not an expericed rider so am wondering if it was the wrong decision to go with an alpha. But like i said my dad has rode quite a few sleds from 1990's summits, the 2010 era m8's and even some new 17 and 18 arctic cats and said my alpha is one of the most difficult to ride. So next ride im leaving my alpha in the trailer and taking the 2010 m8000 and dads 2011 ski doo and swap a bit through out the day and see if i struggle. biggest thing i stuggled with was i was following some of his lines and he kinda went to the right around a tree then back to left and when i try to do those pulls i feel like i get really out of shape on the alpha and have to turn down alot of times. Is that an 18 MC in ur photo summ and have you rode alphas and if so what did you like better? also does like a 2018mc and a 2018 ski doo summit feel the same in the front end or are the quite different?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I'm a experienced rider (ie old and the reflexes are not what they use to be) and was having issues with my sled having mind of it's own. After playing around with the shock pressures quite a bit with varying degrees of success, I decided to think outside the box and play with the limiter strap.
I pulled up the limiter strap one hole at the bottom where it attaches to the rail and it instantly transformed the sled. It's way more predictable especially when your in the throttle. To be honest, it made more of a difference than I thought it would and I wish that would have done it a couple of years ago!
My sled is a 18 MC with an Alpha conversion and I would say that pulling the limiter strap makes it handle a little more like when I had the twin rail on it.
Not sure if this will help the OP's concern, but if it doesn't work for him it's easy enough to adjust it back.

Last edited:
B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I'm a experienced rider (ie old and the reflexes are not what they use to be) and was having issues with my sled having mind of it's own. After playing around with the shock pressures quite a bit with varying degrees of success, I decided to think outside the box and play with the limiter strap.
I pulled up the limiter strap one hole at the bottom where it attaches to the rail and it instantly transformed the sled. It's way more predictable especially when your in the throttle. To be honest, it made more of a difference than I thought it would and I wish that would have done it a couple of years ago!
My sled is a 18 MC with an Alpha conversion and I would say that pulling the limiter strap makes it handle a little more like when I had the twin rail on it.
Not sure if this will help the OP's concern, but if it doesn't work for him it's easy enough to adjust it back.
Ok i felt like it does kind of not seem to react to certain inputs sometimes its kind of a wierd feeling? So you went the hole closer to the skid then cant remember how many holes it has 3? What sorta things felt better? climbing, sidehill, pow turns/ carving etc? also 154 or 165 and what shock pressures you run? Did you have issues with lots of nose roll kind if you know what i mean. I watch syxxes and hes an experienced alpha rider and even he looks squirly sometimes

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My teen girls would take the alpha over all the sleds you named,and they have ridden all of them.
If you’re diving the front in soft snow first switch I’d make is to Mohawk skis, float and steer better than stock.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
My teen girls would take the alpha over all the sleds you named,and they have ridden all of them.
If you’re diving the front in soft snow first switch I’d make is to Mohawk skis, float and steer better than stock.
Ok good to know I might try the limiter strap thing. They like it’s cause it’s easier to get on edge I’m assuming?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Easier all around for them to ride,
We have a 18 twin rail cat they ride and they can manage everything about the alpha better.
But ya, they can side hill and carve much easier.
Easier to maneuver for them in tight trees also.

Point being it’s your setup, not your sled.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Alpha should be significantly easier to ride than a 2010 m8 and a 2011 doo. Are you trying to ride it wrong foot forward? It’s very easy to over ride the alpha. In most riding conditions it is easier to stay in the normal centered riding position

Premium Features