• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Aftermarket Suspension is best: K-Mod, Timbersled, EZ-Ride, TeamFast?

If you were going to change out the rear suspension, which would you buy??

• KMOD

Votes: 124 33.7%
  • Timbersled

Votes: 111 30.2%
  • EZ-Ryde

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • Team Fast

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • CR Racing

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Racer's Edge

Votes: 23 6.3%
  • Nextech

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now that I am progressing with the installation of my supercharger I am beginning to think about a new rear suspension.

From what I can see there are three major players in this market.

KMOD
New Nytro suspension for 2012

Timbersled
New Nytro Suspension for 2012

EZ-Ryde
Don't see a new release for this coming season.

There was a very similar thread running in the Arctic Cat forum in May, but I figured I would value the comments of other Nytro riders more than those of Cat riders...
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269064

So.
What works, What Fails, and WHY ??

Please leave some comments along with your vote

===

KMOD
attachment.php

attachment.php

Timbersled
attachment.php

EZ-Ryde
pr2_101406.jpg

Team Fast
w2_500.jpg

CR Racing
picture.php

Racer's Edge
n524311583_1688412_5524.jpg

RX2IU

Last edited by a moderator:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
tough call between all three. i too am in the market for a new suspension and seriously considering the mentioned 3 and possibly the CR10 setup. the one thing i do know for sure is which ever suspension it may be, it will have nothing but z broz exit shocks under it.

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
Should have posted this one earlier Chris. I know the boys in BC that all run Turbo's would have alot to say. You should list the M10 also, it's expensive I hear but some swear by it. I also am considering not putting on the yamaha lighweight skid and going with on of the mentioned also. Form all the reading I've done on the SW forum I think its all how you set them up. If you screw up the setup...you'll hate it.
I see the "BLACK" set up by the SKINZ crew went with the Timbersled skid.:face-icon-small-coo

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Near the end of this season I rode Shain Stangers sled with a KMOD skid and Raptor shocks and was totally surprised and impressed with the ride.

This was a ride in June and the trail into the alpine was ROUGH,this suspension let me ride as fast as I wanted and when you went to climb it kept the front end down.

Too say I LOVED it would be an understatement!!!!

I couldn't believe how well the sled rode and the way it worked...I will have one of these suspensions in all my sleds from now on.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I installed the yamaha light weight suspension and love the way it performs. but i havent tried the others. It handles much better than stock. Im wondering how it will perform after i install MPI S/C. Is MR Stainger with twisted turbo he is one of my old buddy's. I'll look him up.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Kmod on my apex is awesome. Still feels light on the front but keeps the nose down and soaks up the bumps.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You should list the M10 also, it's expensive I hear but some swear by it

OK
this one is new to me.
Which of these three are you suggesting??

TeamFast
M-10 AIR SuspensionAvailable for 120-137", 141" and 174" track lengths.

This airspring technology has grown out of our AIRWAVE® suspension system. The all NEW M-10 AIR and M10-W2 AIR narrows the gap while keeping your investment to a minimum. It has significantly greater breadth in its comfort zone and delivers good small to medium bump isolation, while at the same settings resists bottoming in high energy big bump and low speed G-bump events. Its ride is far superior to any stock snowmobile suspension! For more info click photo on left.

M-10 W-2 AIR SuspensionAvailable for 144-163" track lengths.

Live rear axle, light weight, clean and simple. Western riders are going to love the way our new M-10 W-2 Air snowmobile suspension maintains track tension in all positions, including acceleration in deep snow. It also reduces sqatting/lift characteristics during climbs, allowing for long limiter settings, resulting in higher comfort levels and increased control. This airspring technology has grown out of our AIRWAVE® snowmobile suspension system, our absolute best system ever! The all NEW M-10-W2 AIR narrow the gap while keeping your investment to a minimum. It has significantly greater breadth in its comfort zone and delivers good small to medium bump isolation, while at the same settings resists bottoming in high energy big bump and low speed G–bump events. Its ride is far superior to any stock snowmobile suspension!

B
Oct 17, 2004
Kelowna B.C.
I would not leave out the Baker Boys rear suspension. The Racer's Edge skid works awsome. The Elka rear shock is a very adjustable coil over with a piggy back reservoir and 30 clicks of comp/damp adjustment each. They have magnetic coupling blocks that can be changed in seconds that allow boondocking control to all out chute climbing ski plant control.
BC.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I rode the racers edge skid several times and it is the best bang for the buck. Low cost m10 capability and ride and still maintains stock strength and reliability

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mr. Chad Rebec, CR racing, Kelowna,BC.

This one??

CR Racing

CR Racing Suspension System. Includes the complete suspension. CR Racing billet rails, arms, and Fox Float front shock and rear shock. CR Racing Rear Wheels These suspension systems are a must for your Turbo Apex/RX1. Their look is unbeleivable, their function is too. All suspensions are made to order. Please order your mounting kit separately. Select options from below
oscthumb.php

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The M-10 and the knock-offs are great skids... keep the skis planted... sometimes too much for certain riding styles.

From what I've read, the RE skid has had good reviews on function and quality.

They can be "not as playful" as the others when you need to get the front end up, for example when you are crossing a creek bed and need to pop-up on the other side.

I think the weight on the M-10 is about 12 -20 lbs heavier than the others as well UNLESS you have all the lightweight goodies like billet arms, Ti springs etc.

Contact Curt at FTX about this... He is one of the "gurus" of the M-10

Heres a pic of the CR/FTX 162" M-10 which tipped the scales at about 41 lbs... about $5000.00

2794727260051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Christopher,

Describe the remainder of your current setup... shocks, front suspension, track ...

Riding style, type of terrain etc.... what do you want???

Also, when evaluating the input from others... try to qualify that in terms of how their setup/style/preferred-terrain "fits" with your preferred riding.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Front suspension is being replaced with the new SKINZ setup using Float2 shocks.

Stock 162 OEM Maverick Track
Will replace that with a CE when the rear suspension gets upgraded.

As for riding, a little bit of everything.
Suspension is going to have to be fairly compliant across a wide spectrum of terrain.

W
Sep 15, 2010
ID
I don't know about the yami setup but thought I would give my opinion on what I do know about the kmod.

I have a 09 twisted m8 153, on low boost 6-7lbs, when turning up hill it was near uncontrollable for my style of riding and eventually it would climb a tree or put me somewhere I wasn't intending on going. It still worked and most around here don't ride as hard or try the stuff I do.

After hearing from Shain, Amber Holt, and some others about he Kmod I figured it was worth a try but only went with the cheaper upgrade with reworked shocks and rear arm, cost $1000 and figured I wouldn't be out completely if I didn't like it. I am rather skeptical about spending money without proof but figured with the references it was worth a try.

I was amazed, everything I had done before and worked my butt off to do was now happening with a lot less effort, and I was pushing harder and farther than ever before even on the first ride. After one day IMO a turbo sled isn't half of what it should be without a KMOD under it. I have since ran on average 10lbs but go anywhere from 6-13lbs of boost and made slight adjustments here and there to the shock pressure and bump stop on the rear arm depending on boost and conditions.

Most everyone has seen "school again" or at least the teaser, thats how I ride. Before the kmod its how I tried to ride but struggled. Its been the best season in my life because I now longer look at things wondering if it can be done, I just take off and figure it out when I get there. The Kmod allows you to sidehill steeper hills with better control, stays on the snow better and all around better ride than what I had.

When going straight up a hill and your not going to make it I can trench it in until it nearly stops the jump to one side and drop into a sidehill and take off again, or just lean back on the boards and pull a little to one side and it does a u-turn that is so effortless it wasn't until after I did it that I realized what took place, so I did it a few more times. I have mine set farely soft and it will wheelie a bit but not to much, even with the skis 4' in the air I still have control and have shot through trees that where so tight I only had about a few inches on each side with the skis in the air and still felt in control. Sidehilled slopes so steep there was no room to hang a leg and had to hang it over the hood with my side rubbing the snow.
Switchbacks are way easier, I can do them around a single tree which makes any line possible. Even when sidehill the steep across humps, bumps or wind lips you can keep going, where as the stock skid would wash out or trench in the kmod land better and returns to the line better. On the stock skid I had tried catching air in a sidehill off a wind lip and then landing a sidehill and was stuck shortly after. I pulled it off a few times but wasn't pretty. I have now done it many times with the kmod, its one of the coolest feeling catching air while hanging a leg then tuck it in while in the air and then back out to land right back in a side hill looking for the next one.

I later went to a 162 and it was pretty much the same but climbed higher and now I'm thinking of going back to the 153 for the challenge. The 153 is a little tighter on the switchbacks and can be thrown around trees quicker, if I need to go higher I will just crank the boost.

Next year with a new sled I will be going with the full package with raptor shocks, the current valving on my shocks is good but I can guess how much better the raptors will be.

As you have read I am 100% sold on this product and the support. This skid works. Thanks KMOD.

Last edited:
Premium Features