• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trashed boots from the PRO

C
Dec 24, 2014
I had to go buy new boots the other day because my Klims were also worn clean through. It took the better part of a full season, 1200+ miles, but the stock boards on my '13 definately killed those boots.

So... I spent an hour or so with a dremel tool followed by some emery cloth to take down some of the remaining sharp edges on my new '14. Hard to say how much it helped but by new boots look pretty new still after the first ride.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
What I love about the Stomper boots, even if they ever DO get abused on the soles, is that MF can replace the soles. Maybe that's what you need to look at? Sacrificial soles is better than not being able to stay on, IMO. [/QUOTE]

X 2 - I was not impressed with the durability of my Klim soles on less aggressive boards. Switched to MF and have been very pleased. The fact that the sole can be replaced, as mentioned above, was a big deciding factor. They also seem to be a bit narrower and easier to move around with. Have not seen the new Pro boards as I have a 12 which needs to be upgraded. I think Polaris tried to address a consumer issue/complaint, as I recall a lot of guys were complaining about about the boards on the earlier models.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
mmmmm my motorfist boots dont look like that. have no idea what the fawk your doing. they are a bit more torn up compared to how they were on my iq with snow eliminators but the grip and lack of snow is worth it. Ive got 2 years on my boots, will be year 3 this year......if they last year 4 i will be happy but ill probably get new ones for next year.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Just a thought- I know we have razor sharp running boards, but maybe it's the compound used in the Klim boots. And maybe there is a lack of QC that results in varying sole durometers between boots within the same line. That could explain why some boots are trashed and others are not. A lot of variables at work here- riding style, rider weight, boots, running boards, etc.......

C
Dec 24, 2014
No, the fact is the boards are super sharp. They are like much of the Pro, unfinished. Stick your bare hand down in the rear suspension sometime. The rails are also really sharp. Saves time and money during manufacturing. Takes a short afternoon in the garage to fix.

Certainly there is some compromise here too. I am now more conscious of how I kick the snow off after just having dropped $250 for new boots. If I could have found the MF boots locally to try on I probably would have bought them based solely on the replaceable sole.

Take a dremel with a coarse sanding drum and take off all of the high corners. Debur a little with emery cloth and be aware of dragging your boots back and forth across the boards. It is the price paid for excellent traction in snowy icy conditions. Sharp metal edges + soft rubber boots = better control.

I still had excellent traction, even with a little tuning on the sharpest edges.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
I spent $50 having my local boot shop put vibram soles on my riding boots. Zero problems. I am starting to honestly believe people are just generally unhappy and love to complain. Lets play this out a little. Oh I keep falling of the boards they are too slippery, Oh they are too sharp, Oh the snow is to deep to show my skills, Oh if the snow was deep I would show you how its done....... and so on. Theres a problem find a solution but complaining about it does nothing and from the pictures those boots look to be a little wore out anyways.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I would sure like to know what to apply to the boards to keep the snow from building up especially in the rear section-

3 pros in my group all 14's and the snow /ice buildup in the rear section is horrible- 1/4 way from the rear to the middles of the board and the price of boots has taught me to not kick the boards as in the years past...
The painted Cat and doo boards don't have this issue.. :(

S/C

I've been pleasantly surprised at how much less the painted tunnels/boards on the '15's hold. It's still not as good as it needs to be but is better

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I find the large holes in the running boards are great for looping duct tape around. So I duct tape my boots in the riding position and just slip into them. Never slip off and never wear my boots out.

When I get home, I drive straight into my garage, slip out of my permenantly mounted boots and into my fuzzy warm slippers. Ya gotta try it! It's the bomb.

I'm thinking of taping down another pair further back for when I want to do wheelies.

Deuce Mansfield

Premium Member
Feb 6, 2013
Yeah, i bought a pair of carbides the other day, way too sharp, and i saw a girl at the mall and her boobs were way too big. Someone needs to call someone about all these issues.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Mixed reactions on this for sure. Well some of you think I'm a newbie in this sport. I have been riding for over 25 years. I do ride more aggressively than I did when I was 8 but I have not had to kick snow for the last 3 years. My 11 pro I got the WRP boards and loved them. Wish I had them back now. I may need to go talk to Marc and see what he can do for these ones. I understand the sleds of the past with no traction at all. We used to put grip tape down on the boards and the edges to get something on those flat pieces if metal they called boards back in the day. So don't call me a lier either. Took the pictures this morning and had 380 miles on the sled. Boots are 1 year old and the fronts were in better condition than the heels were at the start of the season. I just don't understand how any manufacture could put out something as dangerous as these boards are. Not just for cutting up the boots but what is going to happen when you hit something weird and you do come off the sled. Just hope and pray you don't smack your shin on your way down. You might bleed our right there on the mountain. They show videos of Chris Burant jumping from side to side. I really wonder what his boots look like. Putting that much weight down each time jumping from side to side can't be easy on his boots. I guess I like to think I ride a little more aggressive like him then the masses. I really would like to know how his hold up. Hey Chris let us know how your boots are doing. You ride about 100 times more than the rest of us. I guess if I just sit on the sled and ride trails all day my boots wouldn't take a beating. Lol. But I ride the mountains and sitting isn't really in my vocabulary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

The studded tires on my truck need replacing every year, maintenance item. $100 of fuel to get to the hill and back, cost of having fun. I replace my boots at least once a year, because of the boards, maintenance item, fun factor is well worth it. How much is a ....115 belt again?

Premium Features