• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S gauge stopped working

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Went to load the sled and noticed my 7s didn’t boot up. Just a black screen. Key switch works. Lights work. Kill switch works.
The only thing I did was change handlebars in between rides. Unplugged grip heater wires and reconnected wires in the wire connections Velcro bag. This 7s was added after I got the sled. I plugged the original gauge in and started the sled and it lit up.

Anybody have a 7S go black?

Looks like I’m riding without gauges tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I don’t even know how to run the tracking function
Really the only thing I look at is the damn temp gauge

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I’ve had two go black. One flickered for a couple rides before it turned off the lights. The other one just went black and never back. I need to warranty one. Last year it took 6 months to get a replacement. I only use mine for rpm and temp too.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ve had two go black. One flickered for a couple rides before it turned off the lights. The other one just went black and never back. I need to warranty one. Last year it took 6 months to get a replacement. I only use mine for rpm and temp too.

Shiiyyyt!
Last ride it was flickering.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
mine went dead at the end of last year. sled had 49 miles on it. just dead in the garage. checked everything. dealer swapped it for one off a new sled still in the crate because they were on backorder. new one has been good so far

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
It’s really quite alright without a gauge. I’ve found out the 7s has created a small crutch. I usually know where my location is at all times. I’ve never had a lost situation, maybe a distance question but never turned around. Since having the 7s, I’ve got a lot of tracks in the areas we ride. So if you move to a different area you can easily see on the map.
Yesterday I found myself just riding. I thought I was paralleling the group I was with to a meet up point. I found them in the meetup point, but it wasn’t the meet up point. I knew where I was but it messed with my brain for a few minutes. It’s a very treed area so not many landmarks. I can see the good and the not so good of the giant map right in your eyes constantly.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Question about the wire bundle inside the Velcro bag above the clutch.

Are there any fuses in there?
Is there a fuse, other than the one by the battery, that might come off the key? Maybe between the switch and the Velcro bag?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Mine went black on my 22’, replaced under warranty. I’m guessing when the toggle button falls off it allows snow and water to get in there.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Mine went black on my 22’, replaced under warranty. I’m guessing when the toggle button falls off it allows snow and water to get in there.

Interesting. My toggle disappeared 3 rides ago. I already replaced it once so I thought it will probably just fall off again so I didn’t replace. Maybe I should have covered it.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I think the toggle button may be the issue with one of two that failed on my sleds. It started flashing soon after the button came off. Now I just take the button off before even riding. It’s just not going to make it. I covered the hole with zip tape. Not saying that’s the fix, but it’s my fix…

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I think the toggle button may be the issue with one of two that failed on my sleds. It started flashing soon after the button came off. Now I just take the button off before even riding. It’s just not going to make it. I covered the hole with zip tape. Not saying that’s the fix, but it’s my fix…
Same. I rip mine off and cover the hole with duct tape.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
A little annoying but it is what it is. I bought it after I got my sled because it wasn’t available. So I took the reg gauge. Then bought the 7s after and installed it myself.
That means it falls on the accessories warranty of 1 year.
I’m 3 months out.
Hopefully the next one lasts more than 550 miles.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
So I pulled the 2 amp fuse above the battery. I tested it with a test light and got no light.
I put it in my other sled with e start and basic gauge and put the test light on it. It lit, so the fuse does appear good.

I notice also, when the key is turned to on, the lights don’t come on like before, only after it’s started.

Could it be the harness giving me problems? How would I test that?

B

Boosted Billy Goat

Oct 5, 2021
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Went to load the sled and noticed my 7s didn’t boot up. Just a black screen. Key switch works. Lights work. Kill switch works.
The only thing I did was change handlebars in between rides. Unplugged grip heater wires and reconnected wires in the wire connections Velcro bag. This 7s was added after I got the sled. I plugged the original gauge in and started the sled and it lit up.

Anybody have a 7S go black?

Looks like I’m riding without gauges tomorrow.

This happened to me yesterday. 24’ 9R. about 500 miles on it, prob 60 hrs ish. My kill switch shorted out in the housing, within an hour my screen went dark. Talked to mt dealer, said to throw a towel over it running and see if screen is actually super dim or pure black. Was super dim. Check all fuses, ok. disconnectec kill switch, 7s working again. Check your kill switch mayb3…if I wiggled the two wires around where they enter button housing…the motor will sputter or die,confirming loose conn3ction and short. Maybe that’s what’s making the displays crap out?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
This happened to me yesterday. 24’ 9R. about 500 miles on it, prob 60 hrs ish. My kill switch shorted out in the housing, within an hour my screen went dark. Talked to mt dealer, said to throw a towel over it running and see if screen is actually super dim or pure black. Was super dim. Check all fuses, ok. disconnectec kill switch, 7s working again. Check your kill switch mayb3…if I wiggled the two wires around where they enter button housing…the motor will sputter or die,confirming loose conn3ction and short. Maybe that’s what’s making the displays crap out?

Thanks for the info. I’ll try it today. I did mess with the kill switch wire and moved all around to mount it in a new location.

I just went to have a look at this. I can’t see that the screen is actually dim, though it could be.
But….. I unscrewed the kill switch from the location I had it and made it loose.
Turned the key on and the gauge flashed. It Went back to dark screen but it did flash. So, I think you’re right. The kill switch might have something to do with this. I’m going to have to dig a bit further this afternoon.

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I didn’t get as lucky with the kill switch opportunity. I pulled it all back apart. Unhooked the kill switch and started it. No gauge.

Shouldn’t my cool little parking lights come on though-with key on? Regardless of the gauge!

Premium Features