• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shockwave Update ?

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I read on Sawyers clutching thread (and didn't want to hijack) that there may be an update for the Shockwave that requires machining...any info on this? (the more details, the better).

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I know Brad Story was telling me that Simmons will mill your secondary and shockwave to get better use of the entire clutch. You should try contacting them, I'm sending them my clutch this summer to have it done. Rode with Brad a few weeks ago and this is what he said I needed to do on my Apex... I think he said they did the same on the Nytro's.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
My understanding is that Paul from Impulse was blowing belts bad. He narrowed it down to the shockwave. They are machining off a tiny portion of material and the ramps I think to allow the clutch to open and close better to help avoid belt damage.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
whats the machining on one of these run a guy?

or by any chance do you have any pictures and description for those of us with access to machining facilities and people who are good with em?

J
Nov 27, 2007
milling clutch

Val simmons cut mine, it is supposed to gain over 10mph track speed on the top end. Its supposed to have been the super secret trick to leaveing your buddies in the dust, now its all over the internet. what the?

as for cost, its free!, with purchase of a propane turbo. hah I will ask him what he charges and post back.. julio

J
Nov 27, 2007
clutch mod

clutch mod is $60. plus shipping. give Val a call. 435-760-3789. I guess I will only have a leg up for a little while- that is if I ever get this mcx running julio

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
clutch mod is $60. plus shipping. give Val a call. 435-760-3789. I guess I will only have a leg up for a little while- that is if I ever get this mcx running julio

Well CrapOLa Julio I sure didn't blast it all over the internet....:eek:

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
sense the secret is out machine .180 off the inside to allow it to let the shieves open more and then you will need to grind alittle off were the top of the ramps contact the shieve, if you take the spring out and slide it back and forth you will see what needs done. I can not see anybody charging $60 for a two minute machine job, thats just not right. if you are in elko I will do it for a few beers.

Last edited:
M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
thanks snowy1...after taking out the spring and opening and closing a few times I could see where the helix base was bottoming before the clutch opened completely.

There are also some casting irregularities where the sheave/helix mount arms hit the outer sheave that can be filed smooth to allow for full opening.

If a machine shop has not done this before, there will be some setup time for the mill.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Verification

sense the secret is out machine .180 off the inside to allow it to let the shieves open more and then you will need to grind alittle off were the top of the ramps contact the shieve, if you take the spring out and slide it back and forth you will see what needs done. I can not see anybody charging $60 for a two minute machine job, thats just not right. if you are in elko I will do it for a few beers.

So, is that 18 thousandths of an inch, or 180 thousands of an inch.. Just want to be sure... Thanks in advance!! Sean

J
Nov 27, 2007
hmmmm

well it must be less to get stuff done in elko. machine shops here in idaho are 75 dolla min. regardless of how simple and fast it is. that is what it cost me to have a little plastic cut off a driver and I had to tell him exactly what I needed because he didnt know.
So there is a less expensive option send your clutch and two beers to snowy1, better hurry as he will probably change his mind after stopping his income produceing jobs to mill clutches and answer calls.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
well it must be less to get stuff done in elko. machine shops here in idaho are 75 dolla min. regardless of how simple and fast it is. that is what it cost me to have a little plastic cut off a driver and I had to tell him exactly what I needed because he didnt know.
So there is a less expensive option send your clutch and two beers to snowy1, better hurry as he will probably change his mind after stopping his income produceing jobs to mill clutches and answer calls.

there is always one in every growd, I have a lathe in my shop at home I use for personal use, I said if you are in elko stop by I will do it, I have no desire to get into the business of recieving and shipping any thing from any body, this is why I don,t want to deal with the public, there is always an a$$ you have to deal with, I just let everybody no what needs to be done, if they have a lathe or have access to one they can get it done, or now they can tell there local guy what to do with out the need to ship it out. so much for trying to be helpful.

J
Nov 27, 2007
not meaning to be an ***

didnt mean to come of as an a$$ but 60 bucks seamed resonable based on what it costs to have things done at a machine shop, especially when you figure in the, its on you if your clutch ends up messed up because you didnt explain to the machineist what you wanted correctly.
beyond that you are correct there are demanding unreasonable people as a result we all pay a little more for all things in life so buisneses can balance out the one pain in the butt. Never really thought of myself as one but that doesnt mean I couldnt be. julio

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Better yet, shockwave should offer a recall, swap out the ones that need to be milled. You would think something that obvious they would have picked up on the first few installs?

Great concept, great product, but.......

Premium Features