• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shockwave Update ?

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Help!!!

I machined .180" off my shockwave as shown in the attached pictures. Now the ramps bind in the clutch sheeve up where the pins go through. Looks like a fair amount of meat has to be removed for all to clear. Did I do something wrong?? When all said and done should the clutch open further then the stock one?? Reason I ask is, I took a new shockwave and measured the distance between the sheeves at full shift.. It is exactly the same as the stock 39 Deg helix at full shift.. If I grind away the excess meat on my shockwave so it doesant bind the entire clutch will open 1/16" to 1/8" more then stock. Please point me in the right direction.. Thanks Sean

Shockwave1.jpg shockwave2.jpg

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I machined .180" off my shockwave as shown in the attached pictures. Now the ramps bind in the clutch sheeve up where the pins go through. Looks like a fair amount of meat has to be removed for all to clear. Did I do something wrong?? When all said and done should the clutch open further then the stock one?? Reason I ask is, I took a new shockwave and measured the distance between the sheeves at full shift.. It is exactly the same as the stock 39 Deg helix at full shift.. If I grind away the excess meat on my shockwave so it doesant bind the entire clutch will open 1/16" to 1/8" more then stock. Please point me in the right direction.. Thanks Sean

I would definitely be careful to not allow the clutch to over-open...if it does, the belt will bottom in the clutch and slip.

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
I had a long talk with Kent from Shockwave today about this topic, there are some good and bad for doing this mod. Kent is very knowledgeable about clutching, any issues you might have or are concerned about I would call him first. Just bringing this to everyones attention.

Shockwave #: 763-493-2076

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I had a long talk with Kent from Shockwave today about this topic, there are some good and bad for doing this mod. Kent is very knowledgeable about clutching, any issues you might have or are concerned about I would call him first. Just bringing this to everyones attention.

Shockwave #: 763-493-2076

Im sure it would be alot easier and alot less time for Kent to spend on the phone if you just relay what was said.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC

That's some nice machining there.:D

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
didnt mean to come of as an a$$ but 60 bucks seamed resonable based on what it costs to have things done at a machine shop, especially when you figure in the, its on you if your clutch ends up messed up because you didnt explain to the machineist what you wanted correctly.
beyond that you are correct there are demanding unreasonable people as a result we all pay a little more for all things in life so buisneses can balance out the one pain in the butt. Never really thought of myself as one but that doesnt mean I couldnt be. julio

Just so everyone know's i deal with Julio on a almost daily basis all YEAR long and he is by NO means a pain is the A$$. He is a super guy who would give you the shirt off his back if you asked. So NO he is NOT nor will he ever be a pain in the A$$. He was just stating a point since I am the person who got his Helix milled by Val and why I made the Elcrapo comment earlier in this thread because yes indeed the secret was out of the bag so to speak:beer;:beer;.....Um can i ask who milled that helix up top cuz it wasn't Val....oooops:eek:

Michelle

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Woow!!

To clear things up... That's my shockwave on the top of the page, and no Val Simmons did not machine it.. A forum member posted some measurements of the modification last week (page 1). I took my clutch apart and identified the areas (so I thought) that required machining. I then took it to a local machineist (a forum member, and good friend) and showed him what I wanted done. He did exactly as I requested and it looks really good. Thanks Zal.. If any erros were made it was in my interpretaion of the modification.

If someone has insight to my binding issue above, I would really appreciate some clarification.

After my original post above I did some experimenting with a dalton helix.. The Daltons open the sheeves 1/16" - 1/8" more then the Yamaha's do.. Maybe all is not lost.. It looks like I have to clear 1/8" material to free up the binding on my modified shockwave is this normal??? Do you remove it from the sheeve or the shockwave..

Thanks in advance Sean

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
...60 bucks seamed resonable based on what it costs to have things done at a machine shop, especially when you figure in the, its on you if your clutch ends up messed up because you didnt explain to the machineist what you wanted correctly...

$60 for doing this? I gladly will have someone like this whose workmanship is second to none, and who knows these sleds inside and out versus having someone interpret a direction from someone who relayed a message...remember the telephone game? Accuracy diminishes by factors of 10 everytime something is passed on...

My clutch will get shipped to Val, and I will gladly pay that amount!!!

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah

You are in the right direction. That "meat" you see needs to be removed. Just go to town with a carbide bit and clear that out.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
The End

You are in the right direction. That "meat" you see needs to be removed. Just go to town with a carbide bit and clear that out.

Thanks Zebiraross for your reply!! I made some calls of my own today (one to shockwave, and one to Simmons). Both guys were very helpful... I decided to send the whole unit into Val for machining. I explained what we done already, and all is not lost (he laughed about it). Just like you mentioned the secondary sheeve has to be cleared out as well, and some material cleared off the shockwave. Sounds like a neat mod that will help get me out front on the Lake next year..

Thanks Again!! Sean

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
here is what I wrote it clearly says you need to remove material from the shieve where the shockwave ramps make contact.

sense the secret is out machine .180 off the inside to allow it to let the shieves open more and then you will need to grind alittle off were the top of the ramps contact the shieve, if you take the spring out and slide it back and forth you will see what needs done.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
here is what I wrote it clearly says you need to remove material from the shieve where the shockwave ramps make contact.

sense the secret is out machine .180 off the inside to allow it to let the shieves open more and then you will need to grind alittle off were the top of the ramps contact the shieve, if you take the spring out and slide it back and forth you will see what needs done.

My bad.. I miss read thinking material was to be removed from the shockwave ramps, where they contact the sheeve. It makes sense now.. I assume then remove what is required so the shockwave bottoms out on the center collar again, and not on the ramps?? I apologise, I'm a slow learner sometimes!! Thanks again.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
My bad.. I miss read thinking material was to be removed from the shockwave ramps, where they contact the sheeve. It makes sense now.. I assume then remove what is required so the shockwave bottoms out on the center collar again, and not on the ramps?? I apologise, I'm a slow learner sometimes!! Thanks again.

heck, I would have used a hack saw :) well, maybe an air grinder... which is why it is easier to not have to think, and just send it to Val...

Premium Features