• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MUST-DO Gen5 Turbo Mods?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Question.
In your humble (or not so humble) opinion, what are the MUST DO mods for the Gen5 Turbos?

It has been strongly suggested to me that it needs...

New Charge Tubes
Example.. https://rpmsxs.com/collections/summ...-tube-6-ply-extreme-hd?variant=39472914202695
Ski-DooIntakeandChargetubesRedclamps_800x[1].jpg

New Blowoff Valve
Example.. https://rpmsxs.com/collections/summit-850-turbo-1/products/ski-doo-850-turbo-blow-off-valve-bov-kit
SnowmobileBOVVer2kit_568b150f-f8ca-4a01-b61d-c89baf26d3c6_800x[1].jpg

Clutch Kit
Example.. https://ibexx.com/etec_850t_factory_turbo_stage_2_clutch_kit_pid2213
Etec850TFactoryTurboStage2Clutchkit_168_1[1].jpg

New Rear Wheels
Example.. https://iceageperformance.com/apps/bundles/bundle/116166
header[1].png

WHAT SAY YOU????

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
clutch kit for sure but who is strongly suggesting charge tubes, rear wheels, and blow off valves? those manufacturers? if aftermarket rear wheels all looked exactly like stock I’d bet they’d sell 1% as many.
if the aforementioned were issues, we’d all know about them by now.
at some point, the weight from the huge number of accessories will be a diminishing return.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
clutch kit for sure but who is strongly suggesting charge tubes and blow off valves? those manufacturers?
if the aforementioned were issues, we’d all know about them by now.
Not at all.
None of these comments came from manufacturers.
Spent some time at the shop this afternoon with Parts Desk and Mechanics talking about what failures they have seen first hand over the first year with the Gen5 Turbos.

Charge Tube Failures came up several times, and an actual blow-off valve was part of that same discussion.

Year 2 Gen5 Turbo should have a slightly reworked charge tube, but comments were upon removal and cutting it apart they could see no apparent changes from the 2023, though it is possible the composite material itself was changed, and thus not visible to the naked eye.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Based off how FLAWLESS mine was last year. 1250-1300 miles 0 issues.

There is no must DO mods.

Except maybe a RPM Composites chain case and brake guard kit. That he has ready this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
snow flap if you haven’t already ordered it.
I’m trying out doo’s replaceable scratcher tips this year on the stock scratchers. not being able to install the tunnel scratchers on the G5’s made an obvious impact last year on keeping the sled cool.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Ibackshift clutch kit Chris, I have one and love it, it’s more responsive than the stock clutching.

The other stuff (boost tubes) etc, are not needed unless you are putting a tune in. The 2022 boost tube is not as strong as the G5.
I have been looking at the ice age spindles, they definitely have my interest.

IMO the best mod is revalving your shocks, I have mine done on my G5.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
across all the forums I don’t think I’ve seen one thread about charge tube failure which of course doesn’t mean that hasn’t happened. and while the forums are composed of essentially anecdotal data, they’re also akin to a huge poll on product performance because people love to bitch and moan about issues (including myself), so they’re my metric for a product’s evalution.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
One charge tube failure out of the three in our group. I wouldn’t say there are necessarily any mandatory add ons. Depending on weight and ability suspension is a big upgrade. Clutch kit does help but stocks not too bad. Spindles and skis help with the skidoo twitchy front end. Bar setup is a preference.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
For me and my riding style the only must upgrade to my 23 expert turbo r , is the suspension, the front shocks are so Dame soft i hated it.

P
Feb 4, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
My 23 summit x has been a good sled. this year I’m adding the fixed rear arm and the adjustable limiter along with a clutch kit. They need nothing but they can always be better. I am hoping to get suspension done as well. Not sure who from yet though.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Gen5 turbo is a solid machine. Especially now when they come with better chain&sprockets. I would spend my money on gas.

But if one would need a list, first would be Salazzking ski rubbers, second would be GBoost extreme rhino QRS rollers.

If you are experiencing overreving and clikers wont help, change softer primary spring.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ibackshift clutch kit Chris, I have one and love it, it’s more responsive than the stock clutching.

The other stuff (boost tubes) etc, are not needed unless you are putting a tune in. The 2022 boost tube is not as strong as the G5.
I have been looking at the ice age spindles, they definitely have my interest.

IMO the best mod is revalving your shocks, I have mine done on my G5.

Having enjoyed the iBackshift on my Gen4, it won't take much "nudging" for me to buy into that mod for the GEN5 at all.
I absolutely LOVED their clutch kit!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
across all the forums I don’t think I’ve seen one thread about charge tube failure which of course doesn’t mean that hasn’t happened. and while the forums are composed of essentially anecdotal data, they’re also akin to a huge poll on product performance because people love to bitch and moan about issues (including myself), so they’re my metric for a product’s evalution.
As a rule.
The forums are FAR FAR better at pointing our PROBLEMS then they are at TRIUMPHS.

But as I said in the opening, these are comments directly from the guys turning the wrenches in the repair bay and ordering in the parts for them...

So with that in hand, I am probing all my fellow riders to see if they ran into any of these issues last year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The two musts for me are ski rubbers and a kill switch relocate. I would recommend ibackshift clutching and a light but quite exhaust.
Ski Rubbers and RELOCATE kit are excellent points.
The relocate kit was already on my own personal list.

So far as I know there is no such thing as a LIGHT WEIGHT QUIET CAN.
Its an Oxy-Moron.

The lighter you go, the LOUDER IT BECOMES.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I went with enzo racing kyb c40 , set up for my weight and riding style. Best shocks I have ever been on. I had fox air and raptor kinetics on polaris and rode a doo with raptor kinetics and fox coils.

Last edited:
Premium Features