• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m-1000 first ride impressions

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i put 45 miles on my 09 m-1000 today in a mix of road and two foot deep snow on a long, fairly flat ridge at about 10k altitude....i've had both the 07 and 08 m-1000s.....the sled has a much lighter feel to it, not just the loss of the weight, but the handling, steering, etc...the 4000 to 4500 rpm bog is much better, not as good as the 07s without the first flash, but not bad....even though you can feel a little bit of roughness in the engine, anytime you just smack the throttle, it responds immediately...no problems anywhere else in the rpm band all the way up to wide open....the heavy nose feeling of the previous sleds is all but gone (i did lower the front bolt of the rear suspension into the lower hole in the skid)....the skiis don't push nearly as much as the previous years....weight transfer is better (i used 105# in the rear shock, with 75 in the ski shocks).....i did some clutching changes, and with the new track missed my rpm by about 250 to the low side....the track really hooks well....i could easily spin the old camoplast for a considerable distance, not the powderclaw, it just hooks up and leaves....same out in the powder, much less spin, just go....my initial guesstimate on the clutching was undoubtedly off because of the track....ride down the road and out across the ridge was the best i've had with an m sled to date....not enough snow to feel comfortable with a long power pull, but what i did felt stonger than my previous 1000s....i had a difficult time deciding on the 8 or the 1000...after seeing that the 1000 is going to be lighter than the d-8 with how i'm going to set them up, i'm really glad i went with the 1000...with an exhaust systems'
lighter weight and more hp, this sled is going to be a keeper....especially if i go with a pump gas turbo later in the season
m-1000003.jpg

m-1000004.jpg

m-1000002.jpg

m-1000001.jpg

Last edited:
J

jph3

Dec 6, 2007
Edwards co
after seeing that the 1000 is going to be lighter than the d-8 with how i'm going to set them up, i'm really glad i went with the 1000

Don't have either of these sleds, but can you further explain? What are your plans for the M1?

Thanks for the post. I was going to ask if anyone had any time on there 09 M1000 Mines sitting in the shop waiting for some venting and more snow. It would be great if more people that have been lucky enough to get out on theres would chime in. Let us know what mods you've done and what worked the best. Thanks again.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
at the present time i've vented quite a bit....side vents, frog skinz on the lower front, and windshield/consol vents....most of the hood insulation is gone, and the sled has been completely reclutched....egts have been installed to get a good baseline for further exhaust mods....speedwerx y-pipe probably for sure, probably a cpi pipe (cause i can get it made how i like it), can is the big question,,,,out the tunnel speedwerx, or Q-can or maybe a cpi, not sure yet.....rear suspension front lowered to lower hole in tunnel....speedwerx air plenum mod....three more air entrances to air box from the front (basically several 1/2 in holes covered with frogskinz)....the boss seat....depending upon how the egt results go with the y-pipe, i may add a fuel controller (booddocker or power commander), i will probably want to take away fuel in a couple of spots...ongoing project depending on what i think after i get some results back

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
m1000

any one running lower elavation 4000 and lower? right now my 09 runs pig rich below 4000 ft. then cleans right up after that. like you flip a switch, and away it goes, rich to half throttle then cleans up goes like a raped ape.

W

Warrior67

Nov 28, 2007
especially if i go with a pump gas turbo later in the season[/QUOTE said:
I was told the M1000 doesn't have detonation sensor and there will be no pump gas turbo kits for it.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
There ya go again, riding without me! glad you like the 1000, sure you don't want to trade it for an XP?

I have a pump gas 07 M1000 and it runs well!!

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
you don't want to race me...

todds setup is killer, but it won't beat the boooooost!

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
rode the 1000 again today, after the last ride i discovered one of the spark plug wires had come off....with the extra oil in the gas burned out, the spark plug wire reconnected, belt change to a different compound, and me riding, you can blow your boost dunatic.... and the more i ride this sled, the more i'm impressed with the changes, feels light, almost like an m-7....doesn't push the front around, track hooks up really well(you paying attention, dun? boost with no hook just spins, color me gone)....the bog at 4000 rpm from last year is gone, i fact i can't fine a flat spot anywhere in the rpm profile...i bought a d-8, really like the sled, was thinking it would be my main ride, with the 1000 for the big hills mostly....no more the 09 is a very balanced and awesome ride...need mo sno.....actually dun, if your turbo works out well, i could very well go that way also, but i've got to be convinced of the day to day ridability and dependability of the new turbos...we'll see

Last edited:
R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Thankx for the report..... I can't help but think this year the M1000 will be king of the hill!!!!

I didnt' think the M1000 was going to have a pump gas turbo.....???

The track sounds good..... I can't believe that the plug wire was off and you stilll gave it good review's......

There is no replacement for displacement.... this holds true in bikes and sleds.....

I've been waiting to buy another new sled..... Pump Gas Turbo's are high on my list but I'm sick of being the guinnee pig.... I want to see what others experience's are this year..... Race Gas in Canada is not an option unless your pockets are Deep...

This whole mentality that if you can afford a Turbo you can afford Race Gas is STUPID..... I'd rather a pump gas be reliable and that be the only mod a guy needs....

Last year I saw a couple m1000's with the fuel controller and Y pipe and Pipe/Can mods that went welll..... I am down with the new track and I've been predicting that the M1000's with the 153's in a Sno Pro edition will be king of the hill.....

How does the reverse work these day's?? I put a D.D. in my 05 RMK 900 and had a custom helix cut with reverse notch from B.D.E. a few years ago.... I traded high marks with an 08 M1000 last year but there was no clear winner.... this year I'm actually afraid that the M1000 is going to spank me.... Not by much but with the changes I feel it's the sled to beat....

Cheers and Enjoy your new Ride.... I'm jealllous!!!!

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Its good to hear that the 09 are running good. Maybe they will have a re-flash coming out for my 08. Like KillerK said

“Where are you guys riding?
Didn't think there was enough snow around here.”

W
Aug 20, 2008
utah
at the present time i've vented quite a bit....side vents, frog skinz on the lower front, and windshield/consol vents....most of the hood insulation is gone, and the sled has been completely reclutched....egts have been installed to get a good baseline for further exhaust mods....speedwerx y-pipe probably for sure, probably a cpi pipe (cause i can get it made how i like it), can is the big question,,,,out the tunnel speedwerx, or Q-can or maybe a cpi, not sure yet.....rear suspension front lowered to lower hole in tunnel....speedwerx air plenum mod....three more air entrances to air box from the front (basically several 1/2 in holes covered with frogskinz)....the boss seat....depending upon how the egt results go with the y-pipe, i may add a fuel controller (booddocker or power commander), i will probably want to take away fuel in a couple of spots...ongoing project depending on what i think after i get some results back

sounds like you still heavier than the d8 what did you do to get it lighter? you would have to loose almost 20 lbs

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
sounds like you still heavier than the d8 what did you do to get it lighter? you would have to loose almost 20 lbs
....stock for stock the 1000 was only 3 lbs heavier than the d-8...with the boss seat, it was 5 lbs lighter....with the slp exhaust on the d-8, the d-8 became 5 lbs lighter than the 1000.....with the foam out of the hood and sidepanels on the 1000, the 1000 was 2 lbs heavier than the d-8...which leaves me to put the exhaust system on the 1000, which i did with my last 1000 and lost 19.5 lbs, which should make the 1000 about 17 lbs lighter than the d-8 in riding trim, with about the same mods done to each, except i'm not taking the hood and side panel foam off the d-8 cause i plan to use it on trail and light off trail rides with my wife....1000 for the more challanging stuff

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Any new news from the M1K. Just bought the 09 M1KLE and am just waiting for the forking snow to fall!!

Premium Features