• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's everyone like for shocks on the Matryx?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Did a set of khaos rails on my Pro last spring... looking to go to a khaos front track shock and limiter strap now.

Looks like I have lots of options- find a set a of khaos rear take offs, Zbroz sells just a khaos front track shock, or go with a rear set from somebody. I'm probably not going to do anything up front for now, maybe I am crazy but I tend to think fronts are waste of money? Sled currently has the velocity PRO shocks.

I don't jump much. Looking for something to be able to pound through the whoops on the way in/out.

I've not been impressed with the Float 3 QS3's on previous sleds. In my experience ride on carls valved monotubes and even the old WE clickers was comparable (apparently I'm crazy). I like the QS3 part, but wish they were a 5 click compression adjustment. Kind of thinking Fox coils, Raptors, or khaos take offs for now. Anyone have experience with all 3? I'm not sure the Fox coils will be enough of an improvement to justify the $$ and I haven't heard much about Raptors the last few years. Other suggestions?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have owned 2 Khaos 165's. I believe the front skid shock is made to wheelie as it feels like it has very little rebound dampening. This causes a harsh ride on chatter and crossing water bars. It feels like the shock extends too fast.

My 24 Pro rides much better in those conditions. Just want you to think about it if you go stock Khaos shocks/valving.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I thought someone said the front track shock velocity pro was same as khaos length wise? Some were slugged but that could be removed to make it the same length if that’s all you’re trying to achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Hope this helps even though it's a little long winded.

I upgraded to the Fox Float evol shocks on my Axys several years ago and absolutely loved it. I did all 4 shocks. The simplicity of adjusting makes it so you will actually adjust several times during a ride. When I bought my '23 boost 165 last year I did the Pro with base shocks (not the velocity shocks) knowing I was going to upgrade. I hated the Pro so did the Ice age Chaos 165 rails and went with the Fox Coils on all 4 shocks. Hoping back and forth on other Boosts with the stock Velocity Khaos shocks my opinion is that the Fox coils are better than the Velocities but it's debatable whether it's worth the price to upgrade to the Fox Coils. The simplicty of adjusting just might make it worth it for a guy who will actually adjust but the improvement on the performance on it's own probably isn't worth price tag. The Velocities are actually pretty dang good for stock shocks. The Fox Floats are a BIG improvement over the Fox coils. If I was to do it over again I would not keep the velocities and I would not upgrade to the Fox Coils..... I would definitely upgrade to the Fox Floats and would definitely do all 4 shocks and not just the track shocks. I also ride without the sway bar so having the better hold up in the ski shocks is important. Setting the air pressure on the main valve so it allows you to initiate the counter steer and get it up on edge makes it easier and then being able to adjust the evol pressure so there's plenty of hold up as it progresses deeper through the stroke is awesome.... so much so that I never bottomed out even on big hits. When on the trail I quickly adjust to the softest setting and it makes the whooped out trail ride back, much much better. I can clip the tops of the whoops at 30 mph and not get bucked much at all. If you're lucky enough to always have a groomed trail ride back to the trailer than that part doesn't matter but it seems more often than not we're riding the worst whooped out trail when headed back to the trailer after a long day in the back country.... it seems that's what ends up killing a guy and not so much the back country ride itself.

Once in the back country I set the ski shocks to the middle position and leave them unless I'm going to jump and then I quickly set all 4 shocks to the stiffest setting which makes a huge difference when jumping. When climbing I adjust the track shocks based on the snow conditions and then adjust back for general boondocking etc. That simple adjustability with the 3 positions and extra large knobs on the Fox shocks makes all the difference for me. On my NA Khaos Matryx 850 with Velocity Shocks I never adjust the shocks cause it's just more of a hassle.

I've never ridden the Carl's Valved set up but heard it's awesome. What's the cost to have them do a revalve?? Is it enough less than upgrading to the Fox Coils especially if you can find a good set up used ones??

Finally, I heard/read several guys worried about the possible inconsistency due to the Air Shocks and being in the freezing temps and up at altitude. I adjusted the air pressures in my garage and then checked them up at 10k feet and didn't have much difference at all ever. I even would go several rides without even checking the air pressures and couldn't ever feel a difference and then would check the pressures and they hadn't changed much at all. So, that point is a moot point to me. In all fairness I haven't tried any other aftermarket shock set ups other than Fox so not sure if any others are better and if so by how much so would be nice to hear from someone who has tried several others including the Fox shocks that can give their real world feedback.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Hope this helps even though it's a little long winded.

I upgraded to the Fox Float evol shocks on my Axys several years ago and absolutely loved it. I did all 4 shocks. The simplicity of adjusting makes it so you will actually adjust several times during a ride. When I bought my '23 boost 165 last year I did the Pro with base shocks (not the velocity shocks) knowing I was going to upgrade. I hated the Pro so did the Ice age Chaos 165 rails and went with the Fox Coils on all 4 shocks. Hoping back and forth on other Boosts with the stock Velocity Khaos shocks my opinion is that the Fox coils are better than the Velocities but it's debatable whether it's worth the price to upgrade to the Fox Coils. The simplicty of adjusting just might make it worth it for a guy who will actually adjust but the improvement on the performance on it's own probably isn't worth price tag. The Velocities are actually pretty dang good for stock shocks. The Fox Floats are a BIG improvement over the Fox coils. If I was to do it over again I would not keep the velocities and I would not upgrade to the Fox Coils..... I would definitely upgrade to the Fox Floats and would definitely do all 4 shocks and not just the track shocks. I also ride without the sway bar so having the better hold up in the ski shocks is important. Setting the air pressure on the main valve so it allows you to initiate the counter steer and get it up on edge makes it easier and then being able to adjust the evol pressure so there's plenty of hold up as it progresses deeper through the stroke is awesome.... so much so that I never bottomed out even on big hits. When on the trail I quickly adjust to the softest setting and it makes the whooped out trail ride back, much much better. I can clip the tops of the whoops at 30 mph and not get bucked much at all. If you're lucky enough to always have a groomed trail ride back to the trailer than that part doesn't matter but it seems more often than not we're riding the worst whooped out trail when headed back to the trailer after a long day in the back country.... it seems that's what ends up killing a guy and not so much the back country ride itself.

Once in the back country I set the ski shocks to the middle position and leave them unless I'm going to jump and then I quickly set all 4 shocks to the stiffest setting which makes a huge difference when jumping. When climbing I adjust the track shocks based on the snow conditions and then adjust back for general boondocking etc. That simple adjustability with the 3 positions and extra large knobs on the Fox shocks makes all the difference for me. On my NA Khaos Matryx 850 with Velocity Shocks I never adjust the shocks cause it's just more of a hassle.

I've never ridden the Carl's Valved set up but heard it's awesome. What's the cost to have them do a revalve?? Is it enough less than upgrading to the Fox Coils especially if you can find a good set up used ones??

Finally, I heard/read several guys worried about the possible inconsistency due to the Air Shocks and being in the freezing temps and up at altitude. I adjusted the air pressures in my garage and then checked them up at 10k feet and didn't have much difference at all ever. I even would go several rides without even checking the air pressures and couldn't ever feel a difference and then would check the pressures and they hadn't changed much at all. So, that point is a moot point to me. In all fairness I haven't tried any other aftermarket shock set ups other than Fox so not sure if any others are better and if so by how much so would be nice to hear from someone who has tried several others including the Fox shocks that can give their real world feedback.
Thanks for the write up.

Carls revalve has gone up. I think the first one I did was around $500… last time, like 3-4yrs ago it was $700-$800 for all 4 shocks.

One could buy aftermarket shocks, keep the stockers and sell the aftermarkets when done with that sled and have it cost less than $800 I’m guessing… just sucks having $3,000 tied up in a good set of shocks.

Last edited:

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Raptor Kinetics are hard to beat. I’ve had raptors on 4 sleds now, original raptors then Kinetics on the Axys, Kinetics on my ‘22 and now those same Kinetics on my ‘24. They’re plush, have good bottom resistance, have good adjustability, and are robust. The quick cam adjustment on the spring in the rear track shock is awesome too. I’d do the whole package cuz they all work together but the rear set would be priority if I had to pick one.

S
Dec 18, 2023
MT
Another vote for the FOX floats - I ran a setup with coil front and float rear for the last 3 years as I usually carry a lot of weight on my tunnel - they handled the big hits flawlessly even when riding 2-up. The lockout position on the rear track shock really does make your sled way more planted in the steep and deep - gives you pro-like performance on a khaos. Never lost any air pressure, never even had them serviced. Going full floats this year.

M

MATTELL

Oct 25, 2012
Did a set of khaos rails on my Pro last spring... looking to go to a khaos front track shock and limiter strap now.

Looks like I have lots of options- find a set a of khaos rear take offs, Zbroz sells just a khaos front track shock, or go with a rear set from somebody. I'm probably not going to do anything up front for now, maybe I am crazy but I tend to think fronts are waste of money? Sled currently has the velocity PRO shocks.

I don't jump much. Looking for something to be able to pound through the whoops on the way in/out.

I've not been impressed with the Float 3 QS3's on previous sleds. In my experience ride on carls valved monotubes and even the old WE clickers was comparable (apparently I'm crazy). I like the QS3 part, but wish they were a 5 click compression adjustment. Kind of thinking Fox coils, Raptors, or khaos take offs for now. Anyone have experience with all 3? I'm not sure the Fox coils will be enough of an improvement to justify the $$ and I haven't heard much about Raptors the last few years. Other suggestions?
Get your Pro Velocity FTS to a good shock guy and have him pull the spacer out and you will have a Khaos length shock. The shock body and stem are the same length in both, the Pro just has an internal spacer to shorten up the shock.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Went for a full set of Raptors. Whatever I gotta do to gain creds with the forum expert.
That's awesome. Make sure and give your feedback here on the comparison between the Raptors and the other shocks you've tried.

Premium Features