• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Early order

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I'm in the market for a new sled for next winter. Have a 2019 Alpha 165" now. I couldn't find much information on the internet about the new 858. I still dont know how much hp the 858 makes. Besides the early info of 11% increase.
Any one know the stated HP of the 858?
Im looking for more power at altitude with good handling. Leaning towards a summit turbo but have been happy with my alpha and could stay with Arctic Cat if they had valuable info on the website. I really dont know anything about the 858. Videos reviews ect.. Website doesn't tell me any specs I can find. But they route me into ordering one fairly easy. I guess I missed the 4 day window of calling a dealer already. Maybe the next round. or in a couple of years. Feb 20th DOO will let the world know what's new and I'll have a couple of weeks to think about it. Not sure how AC expects me to make an informed purchase decision for $20k on a first year motor/2nd year chassis snowmobile . Im not complaining about it. I guess I just missed the boat on this one.

A
Nov 6, 2009
So what are peoples opinions on the skid plate and separate "track drive protectors"? I have always ran a skid plate on all my sleds because I like the added insurance. I know the Ascender skid plate used to have the "track drive protectors" built in. It seems like I need to buy both for the catalyst chassis to be the same as the 1 piece ascender plate. Should I get one and not the other or just get both?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Guess I'll bitch too, wife told me to order a new sled so I went and put a few different ones together on the cat site. I think all the accessories are overpriced compared to aftermarket but id really like that Atac with the float shocks. but like others I don't think I need the g8 or any fancy gauge now that I carry a gps and phone already. Id hate to crack that screen on a rollover too. however I think it's great they stepped up in that department. Had to. But yeah, wish I could start with the base sled and just check the boxes I want and end up 18k ish not 20.
165 e-start with Atac and floats and hand guards please! Don't care what color. I think the longer track would last a little longer with more rods so as a few break it won't be as noticeable. Plan to remove the recoil and just carry a rope backup to wrap around the clutch in the tool kit that probably doesn't come with new sleds anymore. Doos have come with no recoils, makes perfect sense to me.
My last sno-check came with tools, tunnel bag, upgraded bumper and coat/bibs for 14K. was big incentive for me since I needed new gear. sno-checks used to throw little extras in like this. #FJB
So Im gonna wait it out and see what dealers have on the floor and if they don't then oh-well. Im thinking cats gonna crank a bunch of those base model black units out, dealers will order extras, then maybe I can upgrade the shocks. Dealers used to offer to swap in parts like this too, and give ya a little credit for the take offs. But that was probably back in 'ol G.W.'s era and we were running around the desert hunting for sadam cuz we could, goddamit!! The good ol days...(slight sarcasm). If trump takes the wheel next winter Im buying a new sled to celebrate. 858 or 9r?? See who's got what. If sleepy Joe or whatever lib rigs it up stronger than last time and we get hosed again then screw it, I'm not helping stimulate their bs economy, I'll keep building my own sled.
You are a crazy man for saying you would remove the recoil LOL it drives me insane that the Doo estart sleds don’t come with pull start. Dumbest fuggin thing ever. If a guys that concerned about weight wouldn’t it make more sense to not get estart?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
So what are peoples opinions on the skid plate and separate "track drive protectors"? I have always ran a skid plate on all my sleds because I like the added insurance. I know the Ascender skid plate used to have the "track drive protectors" built in. It seems like I need to buy both for the catalyst chassis to be the same as the 1 piece ascender plate. Should I get one and not the other or just get both?
Have you seen a picture of the new skid plate? Does it really not include the track drive protectors? If it doesn't that is f'd up. I could see offering just the track drive protectors for guys that do not want to run a full skid plate. The the full skid plate needs to have the track drive protectors built in; that is the best feature on the ascender skid plate.

A
Nov 6, 2009
Have you seen a picture of the new skid plate? Does it really not include the track drive protectors? If it doesn't that is f'd up. I could see offering just the track drive protectors for guys that do not want to run a full skid plate. The the full skid plate needs to have the track drive protectors built in; that is the best feature on the ascender skid plate.
I have not seen it, but when you add it to your build on the AC page you can clearly see it on the sled and then see when you add the drive protectors.

W

Wko78ms

Apr 16, 2023
Michigan
If your wife told you to order a sled, does that mean she's paying for it? or you need permission to use your money?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I have not seen it, but when you add it to your build on the AC page you can clearly see it on the sled and then see when you add the drive protectors.
Damn, they are separate. Now I want to see better pictures of both and how they work together.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
With how low the 858 engine sits in this chassis I think a few more people are going to want a full skid plate. From what I saw it seems very possible that a center rock hit could damage the engine.

PXL_20230909_192646318.jpg
PXL_20230909_185150227.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
You are a crazy man for saying you would remove the recoil LOL it drives me insane that the Doo estart sleds don’t come with pull start. Dumbest fuggin thing ever. If a guys that concerned about weight wouldn’t it make more sense to not get estart?
You're taking a bigger risk driving your truck into the mountains by yourself, you'd better stay in service range ridedoo!
I don't need three ways to start a sled. Mind Blowing!! haha!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Back when they used to supply tool kits with sleds they included about a 3' nylon strap to wrap around the clutch and pull in case the recoil failed. Strap also doubles as an emergency tow rope.

FYI - no matter how big and strong you think you are you can't start an 1100 4 stroke using this method. Even if you tie two of them together and hook it to the back bumper of another sled.

Only thing that would really worry me about ditching the recoil with ES is keeping a stick or random nut/bolt/broken exhaust spring from making its way into the stator!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You're taking a bigger risk driving your truck into the mountains by yourself, you'd better stay in service range ridedoo!
I don't need three ways to start a sled. Mind Blowing!! haha!
lol you do you man. I wouldn't call it a risk... but rather a PITA if you're stuck using a rope all day or leaving the thing running all day. I swear the estart guys I ride with only have working estart 50% of the time

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Rope broke on buddies sled pretty early on in a ride and he was stuck clutch starting it all day. My rope broke one morning in the snow park so I went home. your friends are just lazy not to check the battery before hand. Don't get in a boat with them!! Don't be riding no PWC where momma can't see ya either!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Switches, solenoids and wiring have been much more common issues than dead batteries.
Not all friendly warnings lead back to lazy friends.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I frequently need the pull rope on my Poo with E start.

Off topic...the Poo e starts sound nearly as gnarly as the old mopar starters! LOL

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Back when they used to supply tool kits with sleds they included about a 3' nylon strap to wrap around the clutch and pull in case the recoil failed. Strap also doubles as an emergency tow rope.

FYI - no matter how big and strong you think you are you can't start an 1100 4 stroke using this method. Even if you tie two of them together and hook it to the back bumper of another sled.

Only thing that would really worry me about ditching the recoil with ES is keeping a stick or random nut/bolt/broken exhaust spring from making its way into the stator!
I disintegrated
a belt on a turbo nytro years ago. Had to roll clutch back and forth for an hour to get it all out of there. It even damaged the seal. Had to trade off rolling the clutch. They do not spin easy. Felt like the old days of trying to start a 670 doo. Needed 2 other people to trade off with.
I keep hearing how unreliable estart is. I just have never seen it. Never had trouble.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Switches, solenoids and wiring have been much more common issues than dead batteries.
Not all friendly warnings lead back to lazy friends.
you forgot mice can eat the wires, starter can just wear out, strip teeth, power grid could fail leaving you screwed...

If your rope breaks just hope you luck out and it doesn't take out your stator.

Premium Features