• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Early order

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Alpha doesn't suck on catalyst. You might want to ride one first. It didn't suck on an acsender either but more snow specific. Yes, i think it's stupid not to stamp that track for a 2 rail skid. Seems so easy to sale more sleds. Not going to for this year.
Also griping about the g8 guage because it's for trail people is complete bs. If you're such a deep snow off trailer, you should love the alpha. That is where it shines. They also give you choices without the guage so that is mute. 2 year warranty is what everyone else has anymore. Guessing you can buy more. I think the pricing is great. It is $4000 cheaper than my 9r. How they compare, i have no idea. Doesn’t really matter if you like it. I bet cat will have the best snowcheck they have ever had. Meanwhile, everyone else's will be lackluster with the snow year and large inventory. The catalyst is so much better than anything cat has built that everyone should be jumping for joy instead of bitching.
31 years since the last Cats I snowchecked. (they didn't call it snowcheck, I can't remember what they called it. Spring break or something like that?)
Anyway, the point is I'm not a die hard fan boy, I simply thought that Cat finally has something as good as their competition and I wanted to reward those efforts.
The Garmin gauge definitely influenced my decision as did the Sky Blue color scheme. So what many are crying about is what attracted me.
How many of you bitching about the alpha have given it a chance? Fux sake, these manufacturers already have enough skues and don't need to double them by offering 2 totally different suspensions when their testing indicates the Alpha works better in deep....I'll take the leap of faith and give it a try.
Bottom line, either buy one or don't buy one, but the whiny bitching makes us look like whiny little bitches. Let's not be whiny little bitches. Nobody like whiny little bitches.

T
To me the gauge is a gimmick. Something shiney for the younger crowd. If you think about it you should already have that stuff...inreach connected to your cell phone Yada Yada Yada. Everybody wants rider tracking you should be doing that anyway. If your not doing it by paying attention you just as well be riding alone cause you will not be there to save your buddy when he mousetraps or gets in the avalanche. Just like everything else in the world laziness is being encouraged by technology. The gauge is not going to help you fix your sled on the mountain..probably be more of a hindrance than assistance by causing senos to shut it down. Not even gonna approach the twin rail thing. That would get my house fire bombed!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
To me the gauge is a gimmick. Something shiney for the younger crowd. If you think about it you should already have that stuff...inreach connected to your cell phone Yada Yada Yada. Everybody wants rider tracking you should be doing that anyway. If your not doing it by paying attention you just as well be riding alone cause you will not be there to save your buddy when he mousetraps or gets in the avalanche. Just like everything else in the world laziness is being encouraged by technology. The gauge is not going to help you fix your sled on the mountain..probably be more of a hindrance than assistance by causing senos to shut it down. Not even gonna approach the twin rail thing. That would get my house fire bombed!
Your opinion is valid for you, and you should opt for a model without the gauge for your needs.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
After 5 years on the alpha I can definitely say it’s not as bad as the internet makes it out to be. just like every other problem that gets mentioned on social media, it gets blown out of proportion and passed around as gospel by people that have never even touched the sled. Does the alpha have its quirks? Sure, but 98% of them can be remedied by actually learning to ride the sled. I think most of the guys that claim it flat out sucks have either never ridden one and are just repeating hearsay, or hopped on one for 5 minutes and tried riding it like a conventional sled and got tossed, but never gave it the time to actually learn how the sled needs to be ridden. It sounds like the catalyst has taken out those few quirks so there shouldn’t be much left to bitch about.

As to the g8 gauge, I’ve long thought the iPad screens are a silly gimmick on sleds, but I do see the benefit of buddy tracking and the maps so I ordered one. Not so much for the tracking as I’ll most likely be the only one in the group to have it, at least for a year or two, but the maps should be handy for unfamiliar areas. Plus I kinda like the blue, and it’ll match my current onesie and helmet, and that’s what really matters.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Let me tell you im not young. 55 in a month. Never cared about tech unless it's something to make work easier. Don't do facebook.snowest is my only thing and sometimes i think i should get a life. When we had 22 polaris's, with 7s and factory turbo , i said the coolest thing about this sled is the gauge. I've had a turbo since 98 . A bunch of the inreach or other stuff i don't care about. Most days i don't care about my phone. It stays in the truck. Lived a long time without it. I can live a long time more. Everyone has turned into a bunch of pussies anymore. Heck, my wife even had life 360 on my daughter and i. I took it off. Too weird too me. My daughter told me since you're at the post office can i do something. I asked her how the hell she new i was at the post office? Oh, you're a stalker like your mom i said. This fall a buddy and i were coming off the mountain, in separate side x sides after dark. Both broke down and we had to walk 7 mile to trucks. Finally found a place i could call my wife and she said i know. How the hell do you know I'm walking i said. My phone says you're walking at 3 mph. I asked her how the hell does it know I'm not driving side x side 3mph?. It doesn't. Long story short, i don't like tech and it cool. I assure you i am not lazy. I pour concrete for a living. I work kids into the dirt all the time so thats out. Don't want it don't buy it. If you don't like estart don't buy it but don't tell me I'm a lazy ***** because I did. Also use some of your leftover guage mone and buy a membership.

T
Did not say one word about you..so stop being a pissy bitch and making accusations. The lazy comment was made towards the humans wanting everything done for them rather than using their survival knowledge passed down from day one.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Don't worry son, if push comes to shove, we haven't forgotten our survival techniques.
If you don't have power windows or cruise control or power locks or stereo or cell phone or internet or cable or air conditioning you can then lecture me. Otherwise don't fool yourself into thinking that you are more of a man than someone else because they prefer features or conveniences that you don't understand.

And like Terry said, buy a damned membership and support this site.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Dammit, you almost made me feel manly crossing off all the conveniences, but I have a stereo in my TJ.

T
Once again not lecturing anyone. Pointing out other options rather spending extra money on a gadget that may not have the technology that people already have..ie inreach cell phone combo. And 2 I am not your son nor do you have any idea of my life experiences nor do I of yours so maybe don't take stuff so personal cause it was not meant that way.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Poo offers Khaos and Pro.
Doo offers T-motion and no T-motion.

Cat can and should offer a twin rail option. It will help sales, which they need to recoup investment on the new chassis and motor. Should also cut bitching and whining by at least 50% about the new Cats.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
All the complaints about no twin rail are kinda moot. Seems 146s are gaining popularity for people that ride trail and mountain and in that length you have a choice in the Riot category. Although with different track and frt suspension combos that mountain riders don't like. Saying there is no option isnt right but its just not the one you are looking for. Cat has developed their mountain technology aimed at longer tracks for deep snow and the Alpha has proven itself there and in some cases is not for everyone. Input from buyers may change the future or it may not.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The catalyst base gauge seems like a pretty big step back from the current ascender gauge. Seems weird. But probably by design. That is a big reason why I wanted the G8. Also I think I will use the GPS function a lot, especially with the image overlay and looking for those hidden open areas/parks in the trees. OnX has been a big game changer in hunting, use it all the time now. I can see doing the same with an easily accessible GPS gauge.

I converted my 19 Alpha to an elevated twin. It’s hands down my all time favorite sled, topping the 06 M7. But I can’t wait to try out the Alpha on the Catalyst. Even if Cat offered a twin rail, I still would have ordered the Alpha rail.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
So, those who laid down their $1,000 last week.......would it make you feel like you made the right decision if they announced that the 2025 Mountain Cat 858 was sold out and those that waited were s#it out of luck?

W

Wko78ms

Apr 16, 2023
Michigan
I wouldn't be surprised if the 858s were gone in the first day. I ordered a few hours in to the first day and my order number was in the 5000s

P
Dec 15, 2018
My buddy and very respected source said that he has heard they will be offering a twin rail in the near future (former artic cat r&d and test rider and long time industry guy in island park) the new gauge isn’t that great but it’s a gauge and if you just want the basic information it has it. It doesn’t have a temperature read out (guys on internet complain) but has bars like a phone battery. It get condensation under the lense and fogs up. You gotta use scratchers and find deep snow. It’s a mountain sled lol. I agree the old gauge was better for information but maybe it’s heavier or uglier or i dunno but iam to busy sending the gnar to look at a gauge anyway lol. The dealer here ordered 28 new sleds last week! Holly crap! He said he was garunteed what he ordered that week. I’d say that’s a dang good start. He said he was waving set up fees and offering better warranty but I don’t need a new sled so I didn’t pay attention. I will hopefully be getting a 25 or 26 in 26 or 27 lol!!! Or maybe if my workout routine somehow changes me from fat and skinny 57 year old to badass , a slick solid turbo kit for my 600 lol (they just look sweet)
1707266770565.png

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Guess I'll bitch too, wife told me to order a new sled so I went and put a few different ones together on the cat site. I think all the accessories are overpriced compared to aftermarket but id really like that Atac with the float shocks. but like others I don't think I need the g8 or any fancy gauge now that I carry a gps and phone already. Id hate to crack that screen on a rollover too. however I think it's great they stepped up in that department. Had to. But yeah, wish I could start with the base sled and just check the boxes I want and end up 18k ish not 20.
165 e-start with Atac and floats and hand guards please! Don't care what color. I think the longer track would last a little longer with more rods so as a few break it won't be as noticeable. Plan to remove the recoil and just carry a rope backup to wrap around the clutch in the tool kit that probably doesn't come with new sleds anymore. Doos have come with no recoils, makes perfect sense to me.
My last sno-check came with tools, tunnel bag, upgraded bumper and coat/bibs for 14K. was big incentive for me since I needed new gear. sno-checks used to throw little extras in like this. #FJB
So Im gonna wait it out and see what dealers have on the floor and if they don't then oh-well. Im thinking cats gonna crank a bunch of those base model black units out, dealers will order extras, then maybe I can upgrade the shocks. Dealers used to offer to swap in parts like this too, and give ya a little credit for the take offs. But that was probably back in 'ol G.W.'s era and we were running around the desert hunting for sadam cuz we could, goddamit!! The good ol days...(slight sarcasm). If trump takes the wheel next winter Im buying a new sled to celebrate. 858 or 9r?? See who's got what. If sleepy Joe or whatever lib rigs it up stronger than last time and we get hosed again then screw it, I'm not helping stimulate their bs economy, I'll keep building my own sled.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I put my money down. Main sled will still be a boost. Twin rail will happen, my dealer said that’s the number one topic every dealer meeting.

Premium Features